@richietown They all sound like this. All of them. #MLB #baseball #NESN @redsox @nesn ♬ original sound - Richie Moriarty
September 9, 2026
"How all baseball announcers sound."
I like how the one word you can understand is "Moriarty" (that guy's name is Moriarty).

29 comments:
…he sounds like a harry carry bob uecker hybrid. I was in a Johnny Most sound alike contest once- I didn’t win and neither did the best one…
I don’t generally have trouble understanding baseball announcer. This guy sounded like mush, and it was annoying, to boot. So, I guess I disagree with the premise.
LOL.
I was just commenting the other day how these sports announcers all sound the same.
I find the announcer speed-talking upward-crescendo yelling when someone is about to score or win... super annoying.
From the days of AM radio, no static though.
Vin Scully had a touch of this. but not much. Sounds more like Harry carry. Talking non-stop for 2 hours - you need a rhythem to your voice that will keep people engaged.
I noticed during the world cup on Fox that the British announcers were much better. They also had a woman announcer who was terrible. I'm sure they could find a woman could do a good job, but it wasn't her.
They're always trying to do that. Shoehorn a woman in as announcer of a men's sport. Or have a woman lead the analysis pannel. Even though they're not very good.
No doubt they'd put a woman in a BB manager or head of a Football team if they could get away with it.
Here's Red barber in 1950 - who doesn't sound anything like that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR-loncnLXk
In a perfect world, they’d all sound like Vin Scully.
Or maybe Hank Azaria…
Not to be the turd in the punch bowl but Vin Scully was, in my august yet humble opinion, the most nauseating announcer in the history of baseball. Give me this guy in the car any day over that overrated, American sportscaster version of the BBC any day.
Red Barber was great, indeed. So was Jack Buck.
The best radio guy I ever heard was Harry Caray in his prime, i.e., with the Cardinals in the 1950s and 60s. The Cardinals had a huge radio network then, and Harry Caray was the voice of baseball to a large part of the USA. He sounded little like he did in his dotage with the Cubs.
Here's Harry doing a relatively insignificant game from June, 1962, the Giants at St. Louis. Harry comes in at the 3 minute mark after an intro from Jack Buck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ss9E2L1IMI
There was a Simpsons episode many years ago in which American announcers were providing a soccer play by play - "He holds it, hold it, holds it..." as bored as they could possibly sound. And then Mexican announcers provided the same: "He holds it... hooooolds it.... hooooooooooolds iiiiiiiit...." with the rising inflection of sports suspense. Cute.
Ahem. "Moriarty," not "Moriarity."
Johnny Most was a card. "Oh my God, look what they're doing to Bird!" or the other side misses a free throw, it's "And justice prevails" He was a homer for sure, but what a time to be a Celtics fan. Not sure why I listened to the games mostly in my car, it was a long time ago.
As for this ticktock, I don't get it, doesn't ring true.
heh heh
I heard "fowl ball." And then something exciting happened. And so I deduced that either the foul ball was caught, or maybe it curved in for a home run. But which one is it? I need more clues. But there are no more clues. That fiendish Moriarty!
"he sounds like a harry carry bob uecker hybrid."
Exactly right.
The announcer I first heard, when I arrived in Mass, happened to be the legendary Ken "Hawk" Harrelson. Not knowing English yet, I didn't know he spoke with a southern accent. I thought that's how every American talked. They way the TikTok sounded.
Moriarty with a soundtrack
Awesome, Lem. I remember the Hawk.
Imagine the pillow talk if the husband of Charlie Brown's teacher was a baseball announcer.
"...it's a strike and he stood there like the house by the side of the road and watched it go by..."
The great Ernie Harwell. Growing up in Detroit I was blessed to have Ernie Harwell do the Tigers games my entire baseball life (the game mostly lost me some time ago). But even in Detroit we used to love to listen to Harry Carey when we could. And often we'd do our best to imitate him. You just needed to sound full and drunk.
Here's the great Vin Scully talking about Ernie Harwell on the day Ernie passed. Vin talking about his friend.
My 17-month old grandson gives lengthy discursive lectures, with emphasis, questioning, etcetera, consisting entirely of gibberish. If you weren't listening closely he sounds just like an adult carrying on a conversation at the table next to you in a restaurant.
No 60 HR called by Red Allen. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCZPGUzxNls
Hilarious how subdued everyone is. Just a few handshakes and a few pats on the back.
"Ahem. "Moriarty," not "Moriarity.""
Thanks. I'd have never noticed.
Dick Enberg was a good one, as well.
That's Professor Moriarty to you, Professor Althouse:
"Are you aware, Watson, there is no one who knows the higher criminal world of London so well as I do. For years past I have continually been conscious of some power behind the malefactor, some deep organising power which forever stands in the way of the law, and throws its shield over the wrongdoer. Again and again in cases of the most varying sorts – forgery cases, robberies, murders – I have felt the presence of this force, and I have deduced its action in many of those undiscovered crimes in which I have not been personally consulted. For years I have endeavored to break through the veil which shrouded it, and at last the time came when I seized my thread and followed it, until it led me, after a thousand cunning windings, to ex-Professor Moriarty of mathematical celebrity."
Of all the major sports, Baseball is the best on the radio. Probably because 90 percent of the action can be visualized in accurately in your mind. Every strike/ball more or less looks the same. And the same is true of foul balls.
If someone says it a Home run over the center field fence you can see it in your mind. Or fill in the blank. Occasionlly (sic), there's a fielding play that must be seen to know its true greatness, but those are few and far between.
OTOH, basketball and soccer are terrible on the radio. They must be seen to be truly enjoyed. Dont know about hockey. Football is in-between.
Now that college football has started I begin my annual grief over Keith Jackson not being around to announce them. Whoa Nellie! Its a real barn burner.
Probably the worst fit for College football (and baseball) was How-ard Co-sell. I used to be puzzled at the old fart hatred of him and thought he was "Super-smart" as a teen-ager. but then I went back and watched some of his annoucing on ABC for college football. God what an obnoxious know it all. Always saying the obvious and spouting trivia - like they were pearls of wisdom.
Num-ber thirty three. Jo Jennings from nowhere Arkansas. A kid who came on campus with no backers. A walkon. Coach Bryant knew he had talent. And that run just proved it.
Yeah, thanks Howard.
Pinch-hitting for Pedro Borbón... Manny Mota... Mota... Mota...
4 brothers, 2 Red Sox fans, 2 Yankees fans. So many hours of background baseball sounds. Spot on I'd say. Well done and makes you laugh, ( which we all need to do, more often!) Thanks for posting this clip!
Post a Comment
Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.