September 13, 2026

"After landing, we called 911. As the plane began to submerge, we exited the aircraft and swam to a shallow area, where we waited until emergency responders reached us by boat."

Said Tom Tiffany, the GOP candidate for Governor here in Wisconsin, quoted in "Tom Tiffany's plane forced to make emergency water landing after campaign event/The Republican candidate for governor 'exited the aircraft and swam to a shallow area' according to a campaign statement" (WISN).

31 comments:

Christopher said...

An engine-out landing, at night, in water, and both of them live--damn near miraculous.

Peachy+2 said...

Glad he's OK. Also glad the other guy running said something thoughtful and normal.

(The Gleeful 'Charlie Kirk is dead' left are very loathsome and tiresome)

john mosby said...

This happened at Wausau. I was going to make a joke about hoping he was insured, but then looked them up and found out they were swallowed up by Liberty Mutual. I guess that's where Liberty got the idea for smart-ass commercials. CC, JSM

john mosby said...

More seriously, Wausau is already in hypothermia weather, especially if you're soaking wet. Good thing the rescuers were able to launch a boat quickly. It's not Alaska, but hypothermia is all relative. CC, JSM

Dave Begley said...

Sign from God that he survived.

Who’s the commie running against him?

Dave Begley said...

“ God was watching over us tonight….”

Yes, He, was.

Joe Bar said...

Oh. It was a Beechcraft Bonanza. V-tailed Doctor Killer.

Bob Boyd said...

"exited the aircraft and swam to a shallow area"

You expect to read, "and swam to shore." Did they wind up on some kind of shoal surrounded by deeper water?
Maybe in the dark they couldn't tell exactly which way to go or how far it would be so when they could put their feet down they stayed put?

Dave Begley said...

Tiffany’s survival might be one of those great what if stories.

What if Winston Churchill was killed by a car when he was in NYC?

FredSays said...

Fortunate. Cool heads doing everything right in a tough situation. Seems like a good qualification for a leader.

Narr said...

Landing where there is no land is always dangerous.

Iman said...

Gotta keep the cheese out of the engine.

Original Mike said...

"You expect to read, "and swam to shore." Did they wind up on some kind of shoal surrounded by deeper water?"

Did they land in the river?

Leland said...

As you do when your plane lands in the water.

Joe Bar said...

"Did they land in the river?"
Yes. Wisconsin River.

Michael Fitzgerald said...

There seems to have been about half a dozen incidences this Summer of the airplanes of GOP politicians or Trump administration officials requiring emergency landings or deplaning or diverting to nearby airports. I don't recall any of the Democrat Party frequent fliers ever experiencing this.

Bob Boyd said...

From the linked article:
"Tom Tiffany issued the following statement after the plane carrying him home from tonight's La Crosse County Lincoln Day Dinner made an emergency water landing in Lake Wausau:"

"While returning home from the La Crosse County Lincoln Day Dinner, the plane I was traveling in lost power as we approached the Wausau Downtown Airport. The pilot made an emergency water landing in Lake Wausau."

Leslie Graves said...

I'm also curious about why they didn't go all the way to shore.

Original Mike said...

Lake Wausau is the Wisconsin River. And there are islands and, I assume, sand bars.

john mosby said...

Fitzgerald: "I don't recall any of the Democrat Party frequent fliers ever experiencing this."

Well there was Paul Wellstone, years ago. And Mel Carnahan. Electing their successors kind of accelerated the Dem vote shenanigans. CC, JSM

Merny11 said...

The comments on Facebook are absolutely awful. Democrats are horrible people

Lem Vibe Bandit said...

"Landing where there is no land is always dangerous."

ai: "Yes, there are several specific English words for a water landing, depending entirely on the context and the type of vehicle involved."

Ditching: A controlled emergency landing on water.

Alighting: A formal, technical aviation term used specifically when a seaplane or floatplane lands normally on the water.

Splashdown: The landing of a spacecraft, capsule, or launch vehicle in a body of water, typically slowed down by parachutes."

Michael Fitzgerald said...

I remember Wellstone and Carnahan, but those were both years ago and decades apart. Think about this year, 10 days ago a plane carrying Markwayne Mullin made an emergency landing after engine failure. Back in January, AF1 had to return to the airport after take off in Davos. I'm thinking there's been others in between. There's a couple of incidences since 2024 for both Vance and Trump, and in 2022 a plane carrying Trump had an engine failure over the Gulf of America...
Anyway, I don't ever hear about any planes carrying Obama, Biden, Pelosi, Schumer, Hillary or Bill having engine failures or mechanical problems.
Hey, I'm just asking questions, but doesn't it seem a little too coincidental that all the engine failures and emergency landings only happen to Republicans? I'm just saying...

Michael Fitzgerald said...

Now that I look it up, the Carnahan and Wellstone crashes were only 2 years apart....and Bush was president. Uh huh...His father was CIA, we all know that...Skull and Bones, so skullduggery is not outside the realm of possibility. I'm not saying the Bushes did it, I'm just saying...I'm just asking questions here...

FullMoon said...

Campaign stunt.

Peachy+2 said...

Full moon - really? I doubt that.

Jim at said...

And some shithead 'reporter' downplayed the incident because the lake is 'only' 30 feet deep.

paminwi said...

Wisconsin River has very strong currents. Many have died on that river after stopping on sand bars thinking it would be fun to swim.

FullMoon said...

Peachy+2 said...
Full moon - really? I doubt that.

Lol, nope. Potential MSM spin.

BG said...

Tiffany became rather emotional while giving an interview on the evening news. One can't blame him. He realized he could have died. It doesn't help that people were posting that they wish he had. SMH.

JES said...

If a plane's engine is not running when it touches the earth, water or not water, it is a crash not a landing.

Post a Comment

Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.