Background: "Hayden Panettiere, Star of ‘Nashville’ and ‘Heroes,’ Dies at 36/In May, she published a memoir after a tumultuous decade that involved depression, substance abuse, losing custody of her daughter and stints in rehab" (NYT gift link).WATCH: Hayden Panettiere says she was 18 when a woman she trusted as a protector took her below deck on a yacht and physically put her in bed beside an undressed “very famous” man.
— Scott M (@EODWX5) August 17, 2026
“By the time I’d realized I was in danger, I was quite literally out to sea.”
“She physically put… pic.twitter.com/rz5JAyxQo0

27 comments:
Wow. Her vocal fry could cook your breakfast.
I listened, but I still do not understand any of it. Lots of verbiage, but little communication.
She died.
Child star. She was on soap operas when she was a child.
I must live on another planet. Never heard the name before, nor seen her movies/shows.
R C Belaire said...
I must live on another planet. Never heard the name before, nor seen her movies/shows.
Don't feel alone, R C. I essentially withdrew from popular culture stuff 35 years ago, so I recognize no one similarly situated. It only affects me when I try to watch Jeopardy when visiting relatives.
She’s likely most famous as the cheerleader from Heroes, but that show was a big hit that became weird just as fast and forgotten. They haven’t discussed cause of death. It seems her brother died of cardiomegaly a few years ago at a younger age.
Hollywood does eat its youth (Weinstein), or opens doors to self-destruction. She was an attractive, mainstream, pretty girl "cheerleader" stereotype before Woke. She brings to mind the Hollywood beauty-is-skin-deep cliche dating back to Marilyn Monroe and before.
Compare this outcome to Ellen/Elliot Page.
i am currently almost done re-rewatching Nashville (up to S6 E11).
I bought the entire series several years ago, plus watched it the 1st 5 seasons on ABC.. all so that i could watch Juliette Barns (Hayden's characer).
I'll miss Hayden, how sad
We watched all of Heroes and Panettiere was the cheerleader. The catchphrase was, "Save the cheerleader, save the world" so she was central to the storyline.
Who is the famous man she is talking about in that video and what happened?
She's talking about being put into some kind of Epstein-like situation at the age of eighteen on a boat out on the water by a procuress for a well-known actor. Eighteen years later, after a messed-up life, she's dead. Nothing so very ununusual about such incidents in a life if you're a star in Hollywood.
"See/ Or shut your eyes," —said Hollywood peevishly—/It nothing skills: I cannot help my case:/The Judgment's fire must cure this place,/Calcine its clods and set my prisoners free."
I liked her in Remember the Titans and the Scream franchise. A reminder that life can be hard.
Sounds like she’s arguing for raising the voting age to 26. Also of note, probably 80% of sailors on Aircraft carriers are under 26.
Nobody cares about the trades that chew up and spit out young people, mostly men.
"Men chewed up and spat out. Women hit hardest."
I think you're trying to be ironic, Enigma, however, there's a lot of Truth to what you say. My mother suffered greatly everyday while my brother was in Vietnam flying helicopters in the Mekong Delta in 1969. Anybody that has suffered life-threatening injuries or disease knows that it is much harder on the spouse than it is on the so-called victim.
Sad. Hollywood dying does have its compensations though. Maybe less abuse? Producers and agents may not be as egotistical in a dying industry and city. Eventually, the actors will be AI, and no human will have vain hopes of becoming a star.
@Howard ---
That's a cliched sentiment and became a joke punchline long ago, for right or wrong.
Could be serious, could be a joke, could be both.
On the news this morning they showed snippets from her performances. She was very appealing, but apparently her inner life was extremely bleak. I don't know if there is any great moral to be drawn from the example of her life. She probably would not have been happier if she were forty pounds overweight and struggled with psoriasis. Maybe the beauty and the fame helped her cope with depression. Maybe not. We sit and wonder whether a passing cloud will hit the moon.
That's too bad, I liked her in Heroes. She was perfect for that role.
She had some serious cosmetic surgery between Heroes and Nashville. Sounds like the self-destructive character she played in Nashville was close to her reality.
From what little I saw of her, she seemed like a healthy, happy, All-American girl/woman, but then, I didn't see much of her.
Also gone, Britactress Penelope Keith who made it to 86. I wonder how much she was like the roles she played.
Just saw a new headline that suggests overdose leading to cardiac arrest. If she had heart problems like her brother, she could overdose from caffeine.
Whenever I would see her name, it reminded me of the Hayden Planetarium, in the American Museum of Natural History in New York City.
I guess it depends, if you are in the rockettes it makes you tough but if you are in a series you get damaged. Perhaps your path is determined by you. Not that what you are is your fault now.
"than it is on the so-called victim."
Victim, so-called, because that designates the person who suffered the actual injury? You have a pretty heartless take.
Those parents have now lost both of their children. I can't imagine how much they are suffering.
Post a Comment
Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.