From "What if the Best Ideas Are Already Here, Waiting to Be Rediscovered? 'Sleeping Beauties,' by the musician David Byrne, explores artistic and scientific innovations that were overlooked before being embraced" (NYT).
The article is by Adam Grant, who is organizational psychologist at the Wharton School. Instead of embedding a David Byrne video, I'll show you this Adam Grant TED talk:

15 comments:
I'd rather hear More Songs about Buildings and Food.
The frog-in-hot-water canard was debunked many years ago. Leading with that tells me I don’t have to waste time on the rest of it.
…this is only a revelation to certain kinds of thinkers, or those who become mired in the swamp and lose their way…
I wanted to know if the book was any good, the review had no answer to that question.
All those dead white men--so scorned by the wokerati--may have been on to something.
Joined Kindle Unlimited.
They got me at listening to David Byrne reading... something.
"The frog-in-hot-water canard was debunked many years ago. Leading with that tells me I don’t have to waste time on the rest of it."
Yeah, I thought the same thing, but considered that maybe he knew that too, and indeed, he ends like this:
"And sometimes, it even leads you to challenge your own conclusions, like with the story about the frog that can't survive the slow-boiling pot. I found out recently that's a myth. If you heat up the water, the frog will jump out as soon as it gets uncomfortably warm. Of course it jumps out, it's not an idiot. The problem is not the frog, it's us. Once we accept the story as true, we don't bother to think again. What if we were more like the frog, ready to jump out if the water gets too warm? We need to be quick to rethink."
Kinda dumb, but whatever. He teaches as Wharton. Ask Trump about it.
Althouse got me to watch a self help talk.
After talking so much about AA, I probably deserve it.
Doesn't the frog thing depend on how high the walls of the pot extend above the surface of the boiling water?
Yuuuck!! I can’t stand the stupid frog story, mostly because in the original experiment the frog had been pithed first. Then he tells political stories about pandemics, climate change, and “our democracy”. He instantly alienates about half the country.
Yuuuck!
"Think of how slow people were to react to warnings about a pandemic, climate change, or a democracy in peril"
Slow to react to Covid? There was mass hysteria from the first mentions of the outbreak in China, and libtards are still wearing masks everywhere they venture outside their own doors.
Climate change? If anything, people have swallowed it hook, line, and sinker from the jump. They are slow to react to facts and machinations that completely debunk the "Climate Change" con.
Democracy in peril? I'm assuming he's referring to Trump, MAGA, and J6, not anything to do with the anti-American and undemocratic actions of braindead leftists in our country and in our government.
That clown forgot his red nose and fright wig, that's all.
"Kinda dumb, but whatever. He teaches as Wharton. Ask Trump about it."
Oh FFS... It's Trump's fault that Wharton has libtard leftists teaching there now even though Trump went there 6o years ago when the standards were how well you could impart knowledge, instead of today when it is how well you can indoctrinate the youth into leftist ideology.
Your TDS is showing.
That's a story going around. When Scott Fitzgerald died he was forgotten and his works where out of print. Then "The Great Gatsby" was one of the works reissued in a special Armed Services Editions for the troops. But that edition only came out at the end of the war.
More likely it was the Viking Portable edition of Fitzgerald's works that revived his reputation. The Viking Portable Faulkner brought Faulkner to prominence (and the Hemingway volume gave Hem a boost, though he needed it less). The Viking Portable Fitzgerald (long out of print now, though accessible online) was edited by Dorothy Parker, who had her own reasons for keeping the spirit of the 1920s alive.
I didn't realize how many books he's written. I think I'll buy this one.
I bet an organizational psychologist at Wharton is a real revolutionary thinker concerning human organizations. I bet he can give ten good reasons why diversity is important for your organizational success.
Post a Comment
Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.