This post is tonight's open thread. Scroll down for the 7th anniversary of the sunrise project, with the 19 best photos of the year — here.
... a well-examined head on a wild, untamed continent.
This post is tonight's open thread. Scroll down for the 7th anniversary of the sunrise project, with the 19 best photos of the year — here.
69 comments:
You just knew the female jurors in the Clancey case wouldn't be able to keep their mouths shut and they were going to say indefensible stupid things.
They are not disappointing.
I like that top photo.
The rain started as I was walking this morning and I found myself thinking "I wonder if Ann Althouse will trek to Picnic Point". It wasn't a hard rain, so I decided you would.
Sunrise, we get every day, but we could sure use some of that rain.
Wet, wet rain.
It was an excellent mist of a rain.
Crack - where are you?
Come back, Crack, come back.
Ann misses you, Meade misses you, I miss you.
Now some young male juror in the Clancy case was “devastated that he couldn’t set her free”!
Who the hell talks like that? He’s as crazy as the women jurors who have spoken out so far!
For several days YouTube has been offering me a History One video titled Hitler's Only Friend about August Kubizek. It's a solid product with some discreet and in my opinion justifiable AI.
It's about 18 minutes long. and towards the end it mentions the American internment camp that Kubizek and other Nazis were sent to at Glazenberg Austria in 1945.
I thought, "That sounds familiar," and sure enough at16:05 there's a photo (not AI) of Camp Marcus W. Orr, named for the only combat casualty taken in the war by the 742nd Ordnance Light Maintenance Company of the 42nd Infantry Division,
and possibly the only US Army installation named for an enlisted man.
(tbc)
ah nice. I like. I want to come visit.
So sick of hot dry summer.
Bessent’s Latest Buyback Move Leaves Investors Wanting More
Yields climb to fresh multiyear highs after the Treasury ~WSJ
"Department said it would buy back $6 billion of longer-term debt"
Let's math.
Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis: Q1 Q1 Public U.S. debt 2026 (millions): $39,065,421. Scottie's little trade (millions): $6,000.
$6000/$39,065,421. = 0.0154%
Doesn't even qualify as a band-aid. 30 year yield up ~5.29 basis points. I think spending 6 billion on hiring some competent diplomats to end the multitudinous wars would be a wiser use of funds.
Marc Orr spent years in Army hospitals and as a paraplegic in a wheelchair he had to give up his ambition of becoming a medical doctor. He got a PhD in History and became a highly regarded history prof at Memphis State specializing in the Medieval and Renaissance periods.
I stumbled into one of his classes and took several from him without becoming an Orrite, as some of the grad students half-ironically described themselves.
It helped me that I knew who Nietzsche was, and Douglas McArthur*. He was merciless to female airheads and more than once I watched with a compound of awe, satisfaction, and pity as some tearful coed fled the classroom (and sometimes the school) in the face of his his disdain.
*McArthur had commanded the 42nd Division in Big Kraut Fuckup #1, and was an Arkie grit like Dr. Orr.
(tbc)
That shot is a painting better than the ones recently stolen in Paris.
He was a founder of Disabled Veterans of America and raised holy hell to make Memphis State a very early handicapped-friendly campus.
As I neared graduation he took a lot of time to discuss my options while we smoked my Dorals (we were both trying to quit and those were so bad and hard-drawing they were the next thing to no cigarette at all).
I remember him saying that if I wanted real success I'd have to be a much bigger bastard than came naturally to me.
(tbc)
It will be an interesting world if and when Marco Rubio becomes our first hispanic president.
It would not surprise me if we develop closer ties with South America than with Europe. Socialism is such a basket ideology. It would be amazing if free market capitalism is unleashed on the continent.
Regarding yesterda’s post an out the theft of Renoir paintings, there is additional information about it in the Wikipedia entry for Renoir. The portrait of Madame Pinchon was probably the best of the four, and the thieves also dropped “Coco lisany,” a not bad portrait of a young girl. The two Renoirs they got away with were “Jeune Femme au puits,” which Wikipedia charitably described as unfinished, and a pedestrian “Portrait of Madame Colonna Romano.”
Has Lindsay Clancy shown any remorse, any at all? She was not exhibiting any purported psychosis during the trial… if she’s “ok” now, where is her remorse?
They say that the market for non-fiction books is cratering.
https://dearheadofmine.substack.com/p/the-nonfiction-book-market-is-collapsing
In recent years, non-fiction sales were greater than fiction sales. Now that's reversed. Explanation offered: men aren't reading books now.
Over the years, as a lifelong WWII buff, I listened to his stories in private and public about how he was present at the liberation of the Dachau Concentration Camp, and his spinal injury was from a German sniper . . . or a bomb from an Me-262. I knew those were both plausible but they couldn't both be true but never asked about the discrepancy.
When I failed to take his advice--apply to the London School of Economics, take a DoD teaching job overseas, dump the girlfriend--we grew apart. Still friendly but at a distance.
((tbc)
This is not Barbara Stanwyck.
Grok and Google's ai couldn't tell me either.
Interesting McLuhanesque social experiment. In North America, TikTok gives us stupid stunts and vapid influencers. It's said that Tik Tok is used for educational purposes in China. Will that work or will the short form media turn the minds of China's youth into mush, as it has ours? Does content matter or is the medium the message?
We had a similar experiment with Sesame Street and the Electric Company years ago. Did the shows really teach the young to read or just habituate them to TV watching? Or is the question moot, since children learned to read and became addicted to television even without PBS.
The communists want your kids.
Oh look - communism, Israel hate, Pro-Hamas, Anti-ICE, anti-Police, Pro-soviet propaganda and democratic leftism democrat lies and corruption - it's all the same hot crap.
MORE - The Communist cult is spreading (D)
Hey KKKak-where are you?
How did all that Hunter Biden crypto work out for you?
Lemme Vibe Bandit @9;20 PM
That's Joan Crawford and Zachary Scott in Flamingo Road.
Yes, AI Might Really Kill Us All
Just noticing what autocorrect did to "Lem"... Lemme isn't even a frigging word. Fahking stupid autocorrect takes an intentional spelling, a name, and changes it to non-words now? WTF...
Trump promises $5 grand to all white Americans for a House win. Don't hold your breath! He lies and never keeps his promises.
Anything to prevent another impeachment but honoring aTrump promise?
All WHITE Americans??? Really Gad?? Lying again, this early in the morning?? What, are you and your side really trying to start a race war?? Why do you have to lie to divide all the time.
…trillions every year to support illegals imported to help win elections is a-okay…
The “new and improved” British Prime Minister Andy Burnham has announced a ban on trade with Israeli “settlements“.
I suppose if my country was overrun with Muslims, I would be singing from their hymn book also. Or not. As my departed dad would say “you cannot appease a tiger”. Western Europe is lost, gone forever.
“ What, are you and your side really trying to start a race war?? Why do you have to lie to divide all the time.”
Of course that is what they are doing. That’s where their power comes from. If you eliminate black solidarity, you lose the almost monolithic black vote. It is significant that the SPLC had to go out and fund the KKK in order to keep this bogeyman still alive, in order to keep blacks together in fear, thus voting for Dems. Despite the slight problem that over the history of the KKK, it has always been composed mostly of Democrats.
Via HotAir: “Sixty-two years and $22 trillion after Lyndon Johnson launched the War on Poverty, the national poverty rate hovers around 11 percent.”
A wise investment indeed. (Sarc). The Commies like to say we didn’t spend enough.
Interesting statistics, humperdink. Since 9/11, the US has spent $10 trillion and has murdered approximately 4.5 million people and get the price of oil is still over $100. Yeah, but let's make fun of poor people shall we?
@Howard. Nice deflection. Of course squandering $22T is OK in your book, correct? You can’t defend it, can you?
BTW, not making fun of the poor. They have been shafted by the likes of you.
…there is a monetary challenge as the trillions in fraud are removed from the system, since government spending is part of gdp. The administration has identified 1 to 1.5 trillion in fraud alone so that’s a high teens percentage of gdp. While there is strong evidence Trump employment and household finance efforts are showing results, shrinking gdp can lead to negative fiscal and monetary problems like…recession, defensive postures from consumers and business, deflationary forces. It’s a management issue…
Barry Melrose obit
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7ga9UQFN1KE&ra=m
I always liked this guy. I remember his joke about Winnipeg, “You can watch your dog run away for three days. Maybe it’s the delivery.. Anyway, I will miss him.
Joan crawford duh
…yah, melrose was good at the desk. Will miss…
They say that every time a Renoir is stolen, the average beauty of Western art goes up.
---- You just knew the female jurors in the Clancey case wouldn't be able to keep their mouths shut and they were going to say indefensible stupid things. [Achilles]
Please show me something that is not normal jury-room dynamics among 12 citizens of one's peers. I haven't seen or heard it. People commenting on the innanet are worked up over the fact that so many on that panel disagreed with the commenters' preconceived notions and limited knowledge base -- not having been there every day and not having heard all the evidence.
Barry Melrose was a piece of work, as in he was different than most analysts, beginning with flowing locks. He always spoke candidly about the game and players. I generally enjoyed his commentary.
Not a real fan of the current crop.
…yah good hair game. Melrose was the loose inspiration for Liev Schreiber’s Ross Rhea’s look in Goon- a very underrated movie imo…
Nah they are just evil witches she murdered those children methodically
Thanks for the correct identification. eBay needs to update their game. Straighten out their hat.
Although not an analyst (yet), I can do without Tortorella. First class twit.
Goon was a great hockey movie, one that crosses my mind from time to time, even though I have only seen it once.
On the NHL network, they have this one analyst, a former player, who tries to do with shtick was Melrose seemed born with.
My phone thinks I have saggy breasts. What did I do, AI, to convince you that I have saggy breasts? Did I click twice on the saggy breast ad? I did not. Not even once, AI. Not even once. Have I told the internet that I do not have saggy breasts? Yes, I have. Twice, possibly three times. And yet, the saggy breast ads continue. On TV, it's cars, and alcohol, and drugs. But on my phone, it's saggy breasts. TV is doing better than you, AI. And that is a dumb appliance. Come on, Obi-Wan. You're my only hope.
Saint Croix even the best results don't eliminate the possibility that you have saggy breasts and so the cautious approach is to assume that you have saggy breasts…
I just hope our AI future is comical and not apocalyptic.
The good news is the killer bots will never find my ass.
My favorite scene in The Terminator was when the dogs busted the robot because AI doesn't know how to make a smell.
AI can't fart.
Frank Costanza had the right apparel to mitigate that situation. Saint Croix.
The Manzier.
Charlie can't surf and AI can't fart.
I prefer "the bro."
When I was a kid, I really didn't get that joke. Why would a man need a bra? It was way over my head.
I think old man tits were outside my field of vision or something. I just didn't see them. And I didn't know they existed.
Maybe I saw them and my brain was like, "forget, forget, no need to log that one."
**AI can't fart.**
Freaking GREAT move Dude! Now they know.
LOL wolfman
Trump promises every American adult $5,000 if GOP wins the midterms ~ FOX News
There’s desperation and then there’s this.
An extra $1.6 trillion in debt. Just great.
--- I knew those were both plausible but they couldn't both be true
No Joseph Ellis, though.
Trump is a Republican who was raised by wolves (Democrats) and he is totally comfortable with bribing the voters. Free stuff! Free stuff for you!
The only good spin I have for that one is that when Democrats say "Trump did it," (for the rest of my life), I can say, "Yeah, but that was Trump. The man committed 88 felonies. And he was Hitler. Why do you like Hitler?"
When Trump is out of office, the Democrats will love him. They will quote him all the time. Any time they want to do any crazy shit at all, they will check the Trump archives. I predict he will become their favorite Republican of all time. They'll put his face on a new $1,000,000 dollar bill, print a million of them, and say they've now solved the debt crisis. This is our future. All welfare payouts will be labeled "Trump." Trump healthcare, Trump childcare, Trump housing. They'll put his face on the government cheese.
BREAKING: WTI crude oil has reached $100/bbl for the first time May, wholesale gasoline *and* diesel prices up another 10-15c/gal, prices are going to get worse soon... diesel likely to head to $6.15-$6.25/gal at this pace, with the gasoline average inching closer to $4.35/gal
https://x.com/GasBuddyGuy/status/2098038921670152610?s=20
"𝘛𝘳𝘶𝘮𝘱 𝘪𝘴 𝘢 𝘙𝘦𝘱𝘶𝘣𝘭𝘪𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘸𝘩𝘰 𝘸𝘢𝘴 𝘳𝘢𝘪𝘴𝘦𝘥 𝘣𝘺 𝘸𝘰𝘭𝘷𝘦𝘴 (𝘋𝘦𝘮𝘰𝘤𝘳𝘢𝘵𝘴) 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘩𝘦 𝘪𝘴 𝘵𝘰𝘵𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘺 𝘤𝘰𝘮𝘧𝘰𝘳𝘵𝘢𝘣𝘭𝘦 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘣𝘳𝘪𝘣𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘷𝘰𝘵𝘦𝘳𝘴."
A ‘dividend’ of $5000 per person if the Republicans win the midterms. It sounds similar to his $5000 distribution promised from tariff collections and the $2000 per taxpayer from DOGE savings. Remind me how those promises worked out?
"Crack - where are you? Come back, Crack, come back...."
If you miss him, you can find him on X: https://x.com/The_Crack_Emcee
He has to go wherever he wants, but he might see that you are calling him back. Of course, I would be happy to see him again.
Not mentioned is that sixty two years ago the poverty level was, wait for it, around 11%. So thanks Lyndon Johnson. You asshole.
No Joseph Ellis in a good way. right? (Kai Akker)
We got on with our lives and would chat amiably if he came to the library or I encountered him at the history department where I was working on a masters in later periods than his, at night.
He was very active in the recovery efforts when Florence (Italy not Alabama) had the big floods in the early '80s.
By the late '80s his health was failing and I was asked if I wanted to teach a section of 1301 World Civ I that (I found out later) he had been scheduled for. Back then even senior faculty had to teach basic courses. It was an interesting experience and confirmed for me that I didn't want to be
a fulltime classroom teacher.
He died in '91 or '92, and his campus memorial service was packed, SRO.
Some years later I was head of the Special Collections Dept in the library (rare books, manuscripts, old maps and photos, local
and regional history and culture, and [by default] the university archives.
I got a letter from a retired Army master sergeant who wanted to know if our Professor Orr was the same as the sharp young soldier he had served with in 1944-45. That was the first time I ever heard of Camp Marcus W. Orr.
I wrote back confirming, and sharing some of what I have posted here, and decided to try to determine what really happened that earned him his Purple Heart, but it was a back-burner personal project.
Eventually I hired a guy in DC to find everything he could in the Army records, and received copies of the 742nd's morning reports for April 1945 and Marcus W. Orr's hospital admission card.
They confirmed that he had been wounded by a German fighter plane that strafed his jeep and sent to the hospital--but about a hundred miles from Dachau and a few weeks before the 42nd Division got there.
Huh. And huh?
Post a Comment
Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.