I was looking at some old (15 years) posts and noticed that this site used to attract much more interesting commenters (and commentary). Now it's copy-and-paste political bots and wannabe comic insult dogs.
…the content was better quality back then, too. Now it’s snark and censorship and aged hypocrisy. To be fair Blogger has had its day. I suspect the rickety platform will be jettisoned when the gas runs out here…
I’d posted a week or so ago, but that thread went sideways pretty quickly so I’m trying again: Looking for book recommendations from the Althouse community (preferably non-fiction). I know that’s a broad request but I’m open to different genres. Thanks in advance for the suggestions.
TwoAndAHalfCents said... ..Looking for book recommendations..
i'm currently listening to: 1942: Crux of War By: Jonathan Parshall it covers that year, pretty much week by week, across the Entire globe (all theaters). It's interesting. Here's a little tidbit. During early 1942, British Bomber Command was losing about one airframe (one bomber) for every person they'd kill on the ground. So, they'd hit a city (TRY to hit a city), and lose 65 bombers, and kill 55 people on the ground.. Those are NOT good results. Their loss rate% was higher bombing at night during 1942 than the American 8th Airforce's loss rate% in 1943
Here's one more, by 1942, the germans couldn't feed their people, and were (ALREADY) facing starvation.. Which, according to Parshall was one of the reasons they sped up their "final solution" anyway, it's interesting
Non-fiction. that's a rather broad area. But i just read Edith Hamilton's "The Greek way" because of The Odyssey. Its an old book, but then its an old topic. And before that "Vendetta: Bobby Kennedy Versus Jimmy Hoffa" - which was a good read.
And last month I got through: Colonel Richard Irving Dodge's "Our wild Indians : thirty-three years' personal experience among the red men of the great West. A popular account of their social life, religion, habits, traits, customs, exploits, etc. With thrilling adventures and experiences on the great plains and in the mountains of our wide frontier"
…I watched everything in grade school but can recall walking out of Howard the Duck and some Golin and Globus type sci-fi flick with an alien who purred his words. Worst makeup ever…
Seven worst movies to win AA "Best Picture" . I'll cut it off at 2000.
1) Driving Miss Daisy 2) Shakespeare in Love 3) Kramer v. Kramer 4) The Greatest show on earth 5) Gentleman's agreement 6) Mrs. Miniver 7) West Side Story I've also excluded movies before 1935 - just too primitive.
The Age of Wood by Ennos A History of the World in Twelve Maps by Brotton The Russian Revolution by McMeekin Any of Mark Kurlansky's 'commodity books--Cod, Salt, Paper
H. Keith Melton and Nigel West's brand new book about the Trotsky assassination looks promising.
When the last super-bear market ended, in 1982, the Dow Jones Industrials closed at 777 on Friday the 13th of August. All the major averages made their lows that day, I believe. The next Monday, stocks took off and did not look back for a long time. Until year 2000, at the least.
There had been nominally lower lows in 1974, but inflation was changing values relentlessly all that time, and those Aug. 13, 1982, lows represented the bottom in purchasing power for the stock averages.
This year, the highs to date have come at different times -- for example, the NASDAQ peaks came in early June around the time we were having a prior discussion of this. Consumer stock averages had already topped back in January and February. Dow Transports topped on a blowoff in April.
It is a long way from Dow 777 to Dow 54,631. And that DJIA peak occurred on Aug. 5 this year. But it was interesting to see the S&P 500 peak of 7816 come right on the same day as that low day of 1982, on Aug. 13.
That peak remains the high water mark so far and it could be a while before it is exceeded, IMO, given the extreme of valuation levels the indexes hit. The charts show the major averages are in downtrends now; and a little more selling will break through the bottom of the former uptrends on the charts, setting off more technical sell signals. First visible DJIA support shows up at 45,000.
The point to get here is that there is A LOT of risk in stock prices. Much more than many seem to think, lulled into the warm fuzzies by the generally positive performance of these last 25 years of Federal Reserve management of markets. If the Democrats win Congress, they will do their best to rescind Trump's first-administration tax cuts, especially the corporate rate. If they can, there goes a big chunk of corporate profit margins and profit, period. Just one of the threats to the status quo.
“𝘎𝘰𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘯𝘮𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘴 𝘥𝘦𝘧𝘦𝘯𝘥𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘱𝘳𝘪𝘤𝘦𝘴 𝘢𝘨𝘢𝘪𝘯𝘴𝘵 𝘧𝘶𝘯𝘥𝘢𝘮𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘢𝘭𝘴 𝘢𝘭𝘸𝘢𝘺𝘴 𝘭𝘰𝘴𝘦.” Stan Druckenmiller’s observation may well serve as the epigraph for this era.
A generation ago, James Carville presciently observed that the bond market “has all the power.” That truism may soon be put to the test.
The bond market arguably has more practical power over Washington’s fiscal choices than Washington has over the bond market. It is more than a fourth branch of government; it operates independently, with price discovery as its scepter. The Trump administration appears not to fully appreciate that dynamic—and if it doesn’t, it may learn the hard way: through the bond market’s reaction.
The next Strait of Hormuz for the Trump administration may well be the Canyons of Wall Street.
Persistent inflation, mounting debt, and large deficits could keep rates above 5%, putting significant pressure on the current economic and fiscal agenda.
I once heard a well-respected bond manager at PIMCO joke: “𝘌𝘲𝘶𝘪𝘵𝘺 𝘱𝘦𝘰𝘱𝘭𝘦 𝘩𝘢𝘥 𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘱𝘺 𝘤𝘩𝘪𝘭𝘥𝘩𝘰𝘰𝘥𝘴 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘢𝘱𝘱𝘳𝘦𝘤𝘪𝘢𝘵𝘦 𝘴𝘶𝘯𝘴𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘦 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘳𝘢𝘪𝘯𝘣𝘰𝘸𝘴. 𝘉𝘰𝘯𝘥 𝘱𝘦𝘰𝘱𝘭𝘦 𝘢𝘳𝘦 𝘮𝘰𝘳𝘦 𝘤𝘺𝘯𝘪𝘤𝘢𝘭…”
Remember, IEEE and the rest of the left are working hard and praying for misery and economic disaster so they can "get Trump! We don't care how many lives we ruin!" Just like with Covid, they didn't care how many people they had to kill in order to "beat Trump!"
This is not a photograph, and it's not an oil painting. It might be the most unbelievable watercolor ever made...
It's called Sommarnöje, which means something like Summer Delight, and Anders Zorn painted it in 1886. Look at the water, the gentle ripples, the reflections, the wet sheen of it, and then look at the two people, the fine detail of the wooden rowboat, the woman's white dress, the light on her face.
It has the near-photographic realism of an oil painting, and it was done in watercolor, a medium so unforgiving that a single wrong stroke ruins the entire piece.
10. The Lonely Lady (1983) 9. Ten Days Wonder (1971) 8. Ilsa, Harem Keeper of the Oil Sheiks (1976) 7. Cyborg (1989) 6. The Star Wars Holiday Special (1978) 5. Cabin Boy (1994) 4. Pauly Shore Is Dead (2003) 3. Hardware (1990) 2. any random episode of The Teletubbies (1997-01) 1. Irreversible (2002)
@2 and a half cents: Book recommendations: Kim by Rudyard Kipling fiction (1901) Drawing on Kipling’s life in India, this is a classic adventure story that brings nineteenth-century India to life. It follows a streetwise orphan and his beloved Tibetan lama, a holy man seeking the River of the Arrow, whose waters he believes will free him from the Wheel of Things. Wind, Sand and Stars by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry nonfiction (1939) A pioneer aviator, he recounts his flights over deserts, mountains, and oceans during the early days of airmail delivery. It’s adventure blended with a moving meditation on courage, solitude, friendship. When Broken Glass Floats by Chanrithy Him. nonfiction (2000) Her memoir of growing up in Cambodia as the Khmer Rouge overthrow the country and force her family from their home into brutal rural labor camps.
I'm sure I've seen a lot of real dogs, but three that come to mind as ones that some people seem to have liked are: The Cheap Detective (just not funny at all) What About Bob? (really annoying and not funny) Truly, Madly, Deeply (really, really annoying--I gave up after around 45 minutes of this woman moping about her dead boyfriend)
One cannot put together a list ofthe all time worst movies without including “Neighbors” (1981). You’d think a comedy starring John Belushi, Dan Aykroyd, and Cathy Moriarty would be hilarious. Boy would you be wrong!
"I just finished watching Project Hail Mary. Outstanding. Cool. Very fun. Solid A."
I give it a C. If I hadn't read the book, it would have been hard to follow. Visually, it was a mess. Characters were shortchanged; the movie didn't understand Stratt at all.
I enjoyed the book very much. Have read it twice. The movie was disappointing.
Worst movie ever - The Shining directed by Stanley Kubrick. I was so looking forward to the movie adaption of a fantastic book. Instead he destroyed it. Changed the plot. Nicholson was over the top. I hated it. I have come around but at first viewing I hated it.
The Guardian reports: In light of Donald Trump’s attempts to rename a gulf, lakes, and even states after “America”, South Park, the animated satirical program that has long skewered those in power, has announced an official name change. For its 29th season, the Comedy Central series will be known as “South America”.
“Inspired by the bravery and patriotism of Apple and Google, we are changing the name of South Park to SOUTH AMERICA,” creators Matt Stone and Trey Parker said in a statement. “We especially want to thank our parent company Paramount – a Skydance Capitulation.” The show’s parent company, Paramount Skydance, owned by Trump ally David Ellison, is poised to become one of the largest media conglomerates in the US after the Trump administration approved its $111 billion merger with Warner Bros. Discovery (WBD), drawing significant backlash from the creative industry.
We are so fucked....Maybe it is because SHE DID!!!
Spencer Pratt @spencerpratt · 9h "I was so excited" to exonerate Lindsay Clancy says a juror. The harpies on the Clancy trial jury are lashing out at the one juror who stood in their way because "he had the hardest time getting off the fact that Lindsay viciously killed her children"
All I can say, is Lindsay Clancy jurors would have been better off staying home and off the TV entertainment shows because if you listen to them, you will see that there is no hope if things are left to Progressive women. The more I hear from them, the braver the one hold out hero is.......UNBELIEVABLE.
I’m currently reading The Acolyte by Richard Dooling. One of his earlier books was adapted into a movie with Helen Mirren. He also did work on some Steven King works. Awards won for other novels. I’ve read some.
Dooling is from Omaha. He went to St. Cecilia’s and Creighton Prep. St. Cecilia’s is the Omaha cathedral. I know him. He’s also a lawyer and taught law at UNL.
The book is about the altar boys at the Cathedral. My son was an altar boy at St. C’s.
A federal judge is a character in the book. The book is dedicated to an Omaha federal judge. I’ve known him for decades.
The book is a mystery, of sorts, about a gay priest downloading child pornography on the grounds of the church. The FBI is involved.
There’s an interesting discussion about Tor (the onion). Tor is the dark web.
I first learned about Tor at a patent infringement trial in Tyler, Texas. The defendant was Apple. Apple was represented by a squad from Kirkland and Ellis. The expert witness for Apple was a professor from MIT. The MIT professor was on the Board of Tor.
The plaintiff’s lawyer asked the MIT professor the nature of Tor’s business. Answer: helping human rights activists fight against oppressive governments.
Plaintiff’s lawyer: Professor, do you know about the study out of King’s College in London? The study found that Tor is the leading distributor of extreme porn in the world.
Bam! Case was won right there. Plaintiff’s verdict for millions.
Every trial is about credibility.
BTW, not sure if I like this book because of the topic, but lots of computer and legal stuff.
…yah I couldn’t quite put my finger on why the leftie bit people were hitting it so so hard- six, eight, posts a day, but now I get it- California didn’t close refineries because save the planet they did it only to try and get Trump…
Aftermath: Life in the Fallout of the Third Reich.
Germany in the years after the war. It covers the big stuff first—the rubble, the broken men, the broken society—before moving on to smaller stories, so the first half is a lot better than the second half. It’s a fascinating look at the one part of the war that not much gets said about.
…yah, gotta hand it to the Clancey lawyer for working the next jury pool with all his bluster. College educated white women in Massachusetts are crazier than you can imagine. Anecdote: I was in CVS the morning of one of those pink hat protests and this woman with the pink hat can’t figure out how to use the checkout. Through the crazy mix of Karen entitlement, graduate degree- we know because she told us, and the cocktail of meds from her psychology team it was too much for her to process how to use the bar code scanner to buy the socks she intended to wear on her hands…
I was saying in the baseball thread the other day the beauty of baseball is that you never run out of time. You can be down to your last strike and still come back to win. Well, that happened in the Cub v. Brewer last night. A 1-1 pitcher's duel went into the ninth, and with two on the Cubs pinch hitter Carson Kelly hit a two run double of the right center field wall, putting the Cubs up 3-1. In the bottom half of the ninth, the Cubs quickly struck out the first two batters, and got Christian Yelich to an 0-2 count. Brewers, no one on, down to their last strike. Yelich got the at bat to a 3-2 count, and after a couple of foul balls hit a single to right. Next batter, Jackson Chourio, hit a two run homer to right to tie the game. Brewers went on to win 4-3 in 11.
So fun! I just learned that it was Linda Ronstadt talked Billy Joel into including "Just the Way You Are" in his then-upcoming album. Maybe this was common knowledge, but I hadn't heard this before.
It was enough to impel me to follow Rick Beato's podcast, which basically is a musician/producer interviewing musicians about all different aspects of music, music creation, and music creators etc.
Beato, I guess, is most known for his YouTube channel, but for this type of thing, I'm more likely to listen to podcast than sit captive to a video. I know many people here seem to prefer the video route, so I wanted to add this.
We were watching it live. Great game. So many exciting points. That out at 3d base in the 10th inning. Murphy patting Lara on the chest making him smile and, seconds later, win the game for us.
with diesel prices $2.25/gal higher than a year ago, businesses are paying $284 million more per day on diesel, while gasoline stands $1.02/gal higher than a year ago, consumers are paying $377 million more per day, adding up to a *$4.63* billion additional surcharge every week. https://x.com/GasBuddyGuy/status/2097685125261648253?s=20
Diesel hitting roughly $5.88 a gallon isn’t just an inconvenience for truckers—it’s a tax on the entire economy.
So when someone says, “I don’t drive a diesel truck, so it doesn’t affect me,” they’re missing the point. You don’t have to buy diesel to pay for expensive diesel. You pay for it when the truck delivers your groceries, when a farmer harvests your food, and when a business ships virtually anything.
You don’t have to drive a diesel vehicle to pay the price of expensive diesel. You pay for it at the checkout counter.
The only movie I can recall walking out of (besides a re-release of Lawrence of Arabia because my girlfriend and I were horny) was Looking for Mr Goodbar.
I should have walked out of Emmanuelle, and The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas but didn't.
The Shining ties with Eyes Wide Shut as my least favorite Kubrick. I'm not really a fan of the horror genre and have never read any Stephen King book, and a little Nicholson goes a long way with me.
You couldn't pay me to watch GWTW again. My brothers and cousins and I were dragged to it every time it was rereleased in the late '50s-early '60s. It seemed like every year but I'm sure it wasn't.
Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.
I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Encourage Althouse by making a donation:
Make a 1-time donation or set up a monthly donation of any amount you choose:
82 comments:
I was looking at some old (15 years) posts and noticed that this site used to attract much more interesting commenters (and commentary). Now it's copy-and-paste political bots and wannabe comic insult dogs.
But the photos are great.
Amazing what a difference few moments can make.
Political bots is easy, comic insult dogs is hard.
1 and 3 for me.
…the content was better quality back then, too. Now it’s snark and censorship and aged hypocrisy. To be fair Blogger has had its day. I suspect the rickety platform will be jettisoned when the gas runs out here…
I’d posted a week or so ago, but that thread went sideways pretty quickly so I’m trying again: Looking for book recommendations from the Althouse community (preferably non-fiction). I know that’s a broad request but I’m open to different genres. Thanks in advance for the suggestions.
I was out walking this morning and also taking pictures. Beautiful skies around 610.
Photo number three is better than a Renoir.
TwoAndA Half Cents: Empire of the Summer Moon, Lords of the Horizons, Wolf Hall (not really non-fiction).
I like the first three a lot. Number 3 looks like a Maxfield Parrish painting. Really lovely.
I come to Althouse so I don’t have to steal paintings from a French museum.
wowza. That's some potent color intensity.
What was the worst movie you ever saw?
‘wannabe comic insult dog’
…like the fortune cookie game, read all the posts in this thread as if they end with ‘…for me to poop on!’….
TwoAndAHalfCents said...
..Looking for book recommendations..
i'm currently listening to:
1942: Crux of War By: Jonathan Parshall
it covers that year, pretty much week by week, across the Entire globe (all theaters).
It's interesting.
Here's a little tidbit.
During early 1942, British Bomber Command was losing about one airframe (one bomber) for every person they'd kill on the ground.
So, they'd hit a city (TRY to hit a city), and lose 65 bombers, and kill 55 people on the ground.. Those are NOT good results.
Their loss rate% was higher bombing at night during 1942 than the American 8th Airforce's loss rate% in 1943
Here's one more, by 1942, the germans couldn't feed their people, and were (ALREADY) facing starvation.. Which, according to Parshall was one of the reasons they sped up their "final solution"
anyway, it's interesting
"I come to Althouse so I don’t have to steal paintings from a French museum."
I see what you did there Leland.
“What was the worst movie you ever saw?”
White Buffalo
Non-fiction. that's a rather broad area. But i just read Edith Hamilton's "The Greek way" because of The Odyssey. Its an old book, but then its an old topic. And before that "Vendetta: Bobby Kennedy Versus Jimmy Hoffa" - which was a good read.
And last month I got through: Colonel Richard Irving Dodge's "Our wild Indians : thirty-three years' personal experience among the red men of the great West. A popular account of their social life, religion, habits, traits, customs, exploits, etc. With thrilling adventures and experiences on the great plains and in the mountains of our wide frontier"
…I watched everything in grade school but can recall walking out of Howard the Duck and some Golin and Globus type sci-fi flick with an alien who purred his words. Worst makeup ever…
White left females. Yick.
The quote is real.
I like the second picture the best. I'd like to think its Meade taking a picture of man taking a picture of Althouse taking a picture of the sunrise.
…last picture show is my personal worst best movie. I’ve tried to watch it twice at home, haven’t made it to the end…
Melania is the worst movie I saw. But I stopped watching after 15 minutes so maybe it doesn’t count
Seven worst movies to win AA "Best Picture" . I'll cut it off at 2000.
1) Driving Miss Daisy
2) Shakespeare in Love
3) Kramer v. Kramer
4) The Greatest show on earth
5) Gentleman's agreement
6) Mrs. Miniver
7) West Side Story
I've also excluded movies before 1935 - just too primitive.
@2.5Cts--
The Age of Wood by Ennos
A History of the World in Twelve Maps by Brotton
The Russian Revolution by McMeekin
Any of Mark Kurlansky's 'commodity books--Cod, Salt, Paper
H. Keith Melton and Nigel West's brand new book about the Trotsky assassination looks promising.
Worst movie, “I am curious, yellow”. Not even good porn.
Best book, “Roughing It” or “Pudding Head Wilson” by Twain.
I liked “ The Rise of the American Nation by Lewis Paul Todd and Merle Curti ”. I did not read read Beard.
And if you have any military interest, WEB Griffin’s Brotherhood of war, and The Corps series are good.
Agree with Josephblue. The Corps is how I learned about Sazerac.
For SF, Heinlein “Moon is a Harsh Mistress”, The Dispossessed, Ursula Le Guin.
For weirdo German SF, Star of the Unborn, written by Franz Werfel. You might want to get it at a library before buying it.
Read Mitchner’s corpus particularly Centenial, Texas, and Alaska.
When the last super-bear market ended, in 1982, the Dow Jones Industrials closed at 777 on Friday the 13th of August. All the major averages made their lows that day, I believe. The next Monday, stocks took off and did not look back for a long time. Until year 2000, at the least.
There had been nominally lower lows in 1974, but inflation was changing values relentlessly all that time, and those Aug. 13, 1982, lows represented the bottom in purchasing power for the stock averages.
This year, the highs to date have come at different times -- for example, the NASDAQ peaks came in early June around the time we were having a prior discussion of this. Consumer stock averages had already topped back in January and February. Dow Transports topped on a blowoff in April.
It is a long way from Dow 777 to Dow 54,631. And that DJIA peak occurred on Aug. 5 this year. But it was interesting to see the S&P 500 peak of 7816 come right on the same day as that low day of 1982, on Aug. 13.
That peak remains the high water mark so far and it could be a while before it is exceeded, IMO, given the extreme of valuation levels the indexes hit. The charts show the major averages are in downtrends now; and a little more selling will break through the bottom of the former uptrends on the charts, setting off more technical sell signals. First visible DJIA support shows up at 45,000.
The point to get here is that there is A LOT of risk in stock prices. Much more than many seem to think, lulled into the warm fuzzies by the generally positive performance of these last 25 years of Federal Reserve management of markets. If the Democrats win Congress, they will do their best to rescind Trump's first-administration tax cuts, especially the corporate rate. If they can, there goes a big chunk of corporate profit margins and profit, period. Just one of the threats to the status quo.
Movies I like most, Giant, Gone With The Wind.
All Quiet on the Western Front, the book.
Further deponent sayeth not.
Jomboy has the much anticipated (not in all quarters) “tilted hat” incident video.
“𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘱𝘰𝘪𝘯𝘵 𝘵𝘰 𝘨𝘦𝘵 𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦 𝘪𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦 𝘪𝘴 𝘈 𝘓𝘖𝘛 𝘰𝘧 𝘳𝘪𝘴𝘬 𝘪𝘯 𝘴𝘵𝘰𝘤𝘬 𝘱𝘳𝘪𝘤𝘦𝘴.”
“𝘎𝘰𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘯𝘮𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘴 𝘥𝘦𝘧𝘦𝘯𝘥𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘱𝘳𝘪𝘤𝘦𝘴 𝘢𝘨𝘢𝘪𝘯𝘴𝘵 𝘧𝘶𝘯𝘥𝘢𝘮𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘢𝘭𝘴 𝘢𝘭𝘸𝘢𝘺𝘴 𝘭𝘰𝘴𝘦.” Stan Druckenmiller’s observation may well serve as the epigraph for this era.
A generation ago, James Carville presciently observed that the bond market “has all the power.” That truism may soon be put to the test.
The bond market arguably has more practical power over Washington’s fiscal choices than Washington has over the bond market. It is more than a fourth branch of government; it operates independently, with price discovery as its scepter. The Trump administration appears not to fully appreciate that dynamic—and if it doesn’t, it may learn the hard way: through the bond market’s reaction.
The next Strait of Hormuz for the Trump administration may well be the Canyons of Wall Street.
Persistent inflation, mounting debt, and large deficits could keep rates above 5%, putting significant pressure on the current economic and fiscal agenda.
I once heard a well-respected bond manager at PIMCO joke: “𝘌𝘲𝘶𝘪𝘵𝘺 𝘱𝘦𝘰𝘱𝘭𝘦 𝘩𝘢𝘥 𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘱𝘺 𝘤𝘩𝘪𝘭𝘥𝘩𝘰𝘰𝘥𝘴 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘢𝘱𝘱𝘳𝘦𝘤𝘪𝘢𝘵𝘦 𝘴𝘶𝘯𝘴𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘦 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘳𝘢𝘪𝘯𝘣𝘰𝘸𝘴. 𝘉𝘰𝘯𝘥 𝘱𝘦𝘰𝘱𝘭𝘦 𝘢𝘳𝘦 𝘮𝘰𝘳𝘦 𝘤𝘺𝘯𝘪𝘤𝘢𝘭…”
*What was the worst movie you ever saw?*
American Anthem.
My girlfriend wanted to drool over Mitch Gaylord's body, and I wanted to see Janet Jones in her prime.
We walked out when we realized that wasn't enough to sit through the rest.
"Grandma Gatewood's Walk" by Ben Montgomery
Remember, IEEE and the rest of the left are working hard and praying for misery and economic disaster so they can "get Trump! We don't care how many lives we ruin!" Just like with Covid, they didn't care how many people they had to kill in order to "beat Trump!"
This is not a photograph, and it's not an oil painting. It might be the most unbelievable watercolor ever made...
It's called Sommarnöje, which means something like Summer Delight, and Anders Zorn painted it in 1886. Look at the water, the gentle ripples, the reflections, the wet sheen of it, and then look at the two people, the fine detail of the wooden rowboat, the woman's white dress, the light on her face.
It has the near-photographic realism of an oil painting, and it was done in watercolor, a medium so unforgiving that a single wrong stroke ruins the entire piece.
https://x.com/JamesLucasIT/status/2096224769582506261/photo/1
My all-time bottom 10
10. The Lonely Lady (1983)
9. Ten Days Wonder (1971)
8. Ilsa, Harem Keeper of the Oil Sheiks (1976)
7. Cyborg (1989)
6. The Star Wars Holiday Special (1978)
5. Cabin Boy (1994)
4. Pauly Shore Is Dead (2003)
3. Hardware (1990)
2. any random episode of The Teletubbies (1997-01)
1. Irreversible (2002)
I just finished watching Project Hail Mary. Outstanding. Cool. Very fun. Solid A.
Vance - Indeed.
Democrats are all liars and cheaters who seek HARM to all.
@2 and a half cents:
Book recommendations:
Kim by Rudyard Kipling fiction (1901)
Drawing on Kipling’s life in India, this is a classic adventure story that brings nineteenth-century India to life. It follows a streetwise orphan and his beloved Tibetan lama, a holy man seeking the River of the Arrow, whose waters he believes will free him from the Wheel of Things.
Wind, Sand and Stars by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry nonfiction (1939)
A pioneer aviator, he recounts his flights over deserts, mountains, and oceans during the early days of airmail delivery. It’s adventure blended with a moving meditation on courage, solitude, friendship.
When Broken Glass Floats by Chanrithy Him. nonfiction (2000)
Her memoir of growing up in Cambodia as the Khmer Rouge overthrow the country and force her family from their home into brutal rural labor camps.
"What was the worst movie you ever saw?"
I'm sure I've seen a lot of real dogs, but three that come to mind as ones that some people seem to have liked are:
The Cheap Detective (just not funny at all)
What About Bob? (really annoying and not funny)
Truly, Madly, Deeply (really, really annoying--I gave up after around 45 minutes of this woman moping about her dead boyfriend)
@Saint Croix, you mean there were shows rvem worse than “The Star Wars Holiday Special”? Inconceivable!
One cannot put together a list ofthe all time worst movies without including “Neighbors” (1981). You’d think a comedy starring John Belushi, Dan Aykroyd, and Cathy Moriarty would be hilarious. Boy would you be wrong!
"I just finished watching Project Hail Mary. Outstanding. Cool. Very fun. Solid A."
I give it a C. If I hadn't read the book, it would have been hard to follow. Visually, it was a mess. Characters were shortchanged; the movie didn't understand Stratt at all.
I enjoyed the book very much. Have read it twice. The movie was disappointing.
Worst movie ever - The Shining directed by Stanley Kubrick. I was so looking forward to the movie adaption of a fantastic book. Instead he destroyed it. Changed the plot. Nicholson was over the top. I hated it. I have come around but at first viewing I hated it.
The Guardian reports: In light of Donald Trump’s attempts to rename a gulf, lakes, and even states after “America”, South Park, the animated satirical program that has long skewered those in power, has announced an official name change. For its 29th season, the Comedy Central series will be known as “South America”.
“Inspired by the bravery and patriotism of Apple and Google, we are changing the name of South Park to SOUTH AMERICA,” creators Matt Stone and Trey Parker said in a statement. “We especially want to thank our parent company Paramount – a Skydance Capitulation.” The show’s parent company, Paramount Skydance, owned by Trump ally David Ellison, is poised to become one of the largest media conglomerates in the US after the Trump administration approved its $111 billion merger with Warner Bros. Discovery (WBD), drawing significant backlash from the creative industry.
We are so fucked....Maybe it is because SHE DID!!!
Spencer Pratt
@spencerpratt
·
9h
"I was so excited" to exonerate Lindsay Clancy says a juror. The harpies on the Clancy trial jury are lashing out at the one juror who stood in their way because "he had the hardest time getting off the fact that Lindsay viciously killed her children"
Woo boy. We are cooked.
https://x.com/spencerpratt/status/2097449160186196130?s=20
The English Patient. There was a Seinfeld episode that mocked how bad/good it was. I think this dog won some awards.
Gays For Trump
@GaysForTrump
·
8h
This FEMALE stand-up comedian, Jiaoying Summers, does a hilarious set about Lindsay Clancy! 😭😭😭
I've never heard of her before, but she's great!
https://x.com/GaysForTrump/status/2097459408997605376?s=20
All I can say, is Lindsay Clancy jurors would have been better off staying home and off the TV entertainment shows because if you listen to them, you will see that there is no hope if things are left to Progressive women. The more I hear from them, the braver the one hold out hero is.......UNBELIEVABLE.
TwoAndAHalfCents said...
..Looking for book recommendations..
Bismarck: The Man and the Statesman
By: A.J.P. Taylor
The Post-Birthday World
By: Lionel Shriver
Mythos
By: Stephen Fry
The audio book
The Earth Is Weeping: The Epic Story of the Indian Wars for the American West (2016), by Peter Cozzens
Napoleon: A Life
By: Andrew Roberts
True Grit
Worst movie: Hamnet
I’m currently reading The Acolyte by Richard Dooling. One of his earlier books was adapted into a movie with Helen Mirren. He also did work on some Steven King works. Awards won for other novels. I’ve read some.
Dooling is from Omaha. He went to St. Cecilia’s and Creighton Prep. St. Cecilia’s is the Omaha cathedral. I know him. He’s also a lawyer and taught law at UNL.
The book is about the altar boys at the Cathedral. My son was an altar boy at St. C’s.
A federal judge is a character in the book. The book is dedicated to an Omaha federal judge. I’ve known him for decades.
The book is a mystery, of sorts, about a gay priest downloading child pornography on the grounds of the church. The FBI is involved.
There’s an interesting discussion about Tor (the onion). Tor is the dark web.
I first learned about Tor at a patent infringement trial in Tyler, Texas. The defendant was Apple. Apple was represented by a squad from Kirkland and Ellis. The expert witness for Apple was a professor from MIT. The MIT professor was on the Board of Tor.
The plaintiff’s lawyer asked the MIT professor the nature of Tor’s business. Answer: helping human rights activists fight against oppressive governments.
Plaintiff’s lawyer: Professor, do you know about the study out of King’s College in London? The study found that Tor is the leading distributor of extreme porn in the world.
Bam! Case was won right there. Plaintiff’s verdict for millions.
Every trial is about credibility.
BTW, not sure if I like this book because of the topic, but lots of computer and legal stuff.
Photo #3 is my favorite.
I'm confused by algebra, too, but I keep it to myself.
To be anti-Semitic and confused by algebra is like believing that nobody ever made a bridge.
Maybe this is step one in walking back the anti-Semitism?
Kanye West: "I was in a car wreck."
Tucker Carlson: "I don't know how math works."
Worst movie: Island of Dr. Moreau. Marlon Brando and Val Kilmer. Think it was the only theater movie I left before it was over.
Kansas woman vaults car 250 feet over turnpike overpass, sticks the landing at Love's Travel Stop
"This happened on August 25th around 2 p.m., according to WIBW.
44-year-old Jessica Herold was seriously injured when she decided to vault her 2008 Lexus RX over an overpass along I-35 in Sumner County."
…yah I couldn’t quite put my finger on why the leftie bit people were hitting it so so hard- six, eight, posts a day, but now I get it- California didn’t close refineries because save the planet they did it only to try and get Trump…
Worst movie?
Tommy (for all-time 60s-era boring psychedelic BS)
The Doors (Kilmer as Morrison didn’t work, but I liked the original screenplay)
Aftermath: Life in the Fallout of the Third Reich.
Germany in the years after the war. It covers the big stuff first—the rubble, the broken men, the broken society—before moving on to smaller stories, so the first half is a lot better than the second half. It’s a fascinating look at the one part of the war that not much gets said about.
…yah, gotta hand it to the Clancey lawyer for working the next jury pool with all his bluster. College educated white women in Massachusetts are crazier than you can imagine. Anecdote: I was in CVS the morning of one of those pink hat protests and this woman with the pink hat can’t figure out how to use the checkout. Through the crazy mix of Karen entitlement, graduate degree- we know because she told us, and the cocktail of meds from her psychology team it was too much for her to process how to use the bar code scanner to buy the socks she intended to wear on her hands…
One of the Clancy jurors quoted on the holdout juror: “he had the hardest time getting off the fact that Lindsay viciously killed her children"
So has most of the country.
Book recommendations.
1491
A New Age Now Begins
@ OWEN
I remember you as a commenter, not a lurker. If so, please come back. I agree with hawkeyedjb in comment #1 here.
I was saying in the baseball thread the other day the beauty of baseball is that you never run out of time. You can be down to your last strike and still come back to win. Well, that happened in the Cub v. Brewer last night. A 1-1 pitcher's duel went into the ninth, and with two on the Cubs pinch hitter Carson Kelly hit a two run double of the right center field wall, putting the Cubs up 3-1. In the bottom half of the ninth, the Cubs quickly struck out the first two batters, and got Christian Yelich to an 0-2 count. Brewers, no one on, down to their last strike. Yelich got the at bat to a 3-2 count, and after a couple of foul balls hit a single to right. Next batter, Jackson Chourio, hit a two run homer to right to tie the game. Brewers went on to win 4-3 in 11.
On a lighter note:
So fun! I just learned that it was Linda Ronstadt talked Billy Joel into including "Just the Way You Are" in his then-upcoming album. Maybe this was common knowledge, but I hadn't heard this before.
It was enough to impel me to follow Rick Beato's podcast, which basically is a musician/producer interviewing musicians about all different aspects of music, music creation, and music creators etc.
Beato, I guess, is most known for his YouTube channel, but for this type of thing, I'm more likely to listen to podcast than sit captive to a video. I know many people here seem to prefer the video route, so I wanted to add this.
"Brewers went on to win 4-3 in 11."
We were watching it live. Great game. So many exciting points. That out at 3d base in the 10th inning. Murphy patting Lara on the chest making him smile and, seconds later, win the game for us.
That was the 10th inning.
"Ann Althouse said...
"Brewers went on to win 4-3 in 11."
We were watching it live. Great game. So many exciting points."
I was at the game. The best play, Suzuki throwing out Chourio at the plate from right, always the most exciting play in baseball.
with diesel prices $2.25/gal higher than a year ago, businesses are paying $284 million more per day on diesel, while gasoline stands $1.02/gal higher than a year ago, consumers are paying $377 million more per day, adding up to a *$4.63* billion additional surcharge every week. https://x.com/GasBuddyGuy/status/2097685125261648253?s=20
IEE
So, your'e a trucker. I guess you'll just have to work harder.
Diesel hitting roughly $5.88 a gallon isn’t just an inconvenience for truckers—it’s a tax on the entire economy.
So when someone says, “I don’t drive a diesel truck, so it doesn’t affect me,” they’re missing the point. You don’t have to buy diesel to pay for expensive diesel. You pay for it when the truck delivers your groceries, when a farmer harvests your food, and when a business ships virtually anything.
You don’t have to drive a diesel vehicle to pay the price of expensive diesel. You pay for it at the checkout counter.
The only movie I can recall walking out of (besides a re-release of Lawrence of Arabia because my girlfriend and I were horny) was Looking for Mr Goodbar.
I should have walked out of Emmanuelle, and The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas but didn't.
The Shining ties with Eyes Wide Shut as my least favorite
Kubrick. I'm not really a fan of the horror genre and have never read any Stephen King book, and a little Nicholson goes a long way with me.
You couldn't pay me to watch GWTW again. My brothers and cousins and I were dragged to it every time it was rereleased in the late '50s-early '60s. It seemed like every year but I'm sure it wasn't.
Post a Comment
Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.