The reason hoarding is discouraged is that it usually attracts roaches, mice and rats - and with those, disease. Unless that place is drenched with DDT every month, the smell of rat piss must be overwhelming. I quit watching the longer video after a few minutes because I thought it was blatantly dishonest. I do commiserate with her. She has less and less energy and yet wants to be independent. So she spins a story and gullible reporters (are there any other kind) fall for it.
It's HER studio so I'll give her a little room for that. But damn...I don't know how that place isn't rife with other lifeforms. Sure...she's an artist so we have to give her the room to live in her artist's head. But damn...I could not feel an ounce of creativity with that mess bearing down on me from all sides, from above, and from below my ankles.
We all live in our own heads. I'm often reminded how lucky I am.
I live with a sister that is governed by tidying up. Her house her rules. So I go with it and have found tidying up, mostly the common areas, the kind of equanimity I might driving a stranger back and forth to get their fix. I'm untidy by disposition. Full disclosure. I have a clothes chair.
Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.
I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Encourage Althouse by making a donation:
Make a 1-time donation or set up a monthly donation of any amount you choose:
18 comments:
Entropic chaos and disorder.
It's a new kind of hoarding !
Her teeth aren't governed by tidying up either.
No amount of charming English accent can make that appealing.
A mess prevents loneliness. You never get the feeling that you should have guests over. The idea never comes up.
Good for Her! Three cheers for reinvention and expressing dormant talents at any age, remarkable.
"Energy is eternal delight" - William Blake, 𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘔𝘢𝘳𝘳𝘪𝘢𝘨𝘦 𝘰𝘧 𝘏𝘦𝘢𝘷𝘦𝘯 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘏𝘦𝘭𝘭, 1793
Or is it a small step to hoarder doom?
The progressive clutter is an indication of a liberal disharmony.
She likes fast cars and lots of land. Can the hive forgive her?
The reason hoarding is discouraged is that it usually attracts roaches, mice and rats - and with those, disease. Unless that place is drenched with DDT every month, the smell of rat piss must be overwhelming.
I quit watching the longer video after a few minutes because I thought it was blatantly dishonest.
I do commiserate with her. She has less and less energy and yet wants to be independent. So she spins a story and gullible reporters (are there any other kind) fall for it.
Eva Marie has it right: roaches, rats, mice.
Probably too late for her to read Jordan Peterson's "12 Rules for Life" or listen to his YT snippets. She's a SLOB
It's HER studio so I'll give her a little room for that. But damn...I don't know how that place isn't rife with other lifeforms. Sure...she's an artist so we have to give her the room to live in her artist's head. But damn...I could not feel an ounce of creativity with that mess bearing down on me from all sides, from above, and from below my ankles.
We all live in our own heads. I'm often reminded how lucky I am.
I live with a sister that is governed by tidying up. Her house her rules. So I go with it and have found tidying up, mostly the common areas, the kind of equanimity I might driving a stranger back and forth to get their fix.
I'm untidy by disposition. Full disclosure. I have a clothes chair.
I bet she smells funny…
Finally, someone who understands about my home office.
I bet she smells funny…"
Dental floss and a toothbrush would be nice.
Post a Comment
Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.