July 24, 2026

"His detractors have adopted the 'Never Vance' slogan and flooded social media, especially over the past week, with attacks..."

"... including claims that Vance is 'unfit' to be vice president due to his efforts to negotiate a peace deal with Iran. They have asserted, without evidence, that Vance is making policy decisions not supported by President Donald Trump. They have likened him to former president Barack Obama and Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vermont)...."

103 comments:

Peachy+2 said...

Remember - the Candace Owens, Tuqr + leftist crowd love to sow deceit.

rehajm said...

who are these ‘his detractors’? WaPoo?

rehajm said...

…the giveaway is the unfit bit. No Republicans are fit to serve according to lefties

ChrisC said...

They are talking about the Kim Strassel editorial in last week's WSJ, where she mildly criticized him. You know who the lefties fear because of the lengths they go to trash someone.

ChrisC said...

The idea that someone on "your side" would criticize you is strange and abhorent to the WaPo folks. Like, "Biden is not braindead, how dare you!!!"

RideSpaceMountain said...

"Vance is 'unfit' to be vice president due to his efforts to negotiate a peace deal with Iran."

The deep state unequivocally prefers some flavor of John McCain, and they always manage to get him no matter who you vote for.

ChrisC said...

When the WSJ suggest Biden "might be slipping a little behind the scene" lefty media melted down in a way rarely ever seen.

Maynard said...

Work on the 2028 election has already started.

boatbuilder said...

The Powerline guys are particularly unhinged about Vance, but they equate him with people like Tucker Carlson and Candace Owens, because he (like Trump) is suggesting that there might be a way to deal with Iran short of the parking lot/nuke option.

Political Junkie said...

I have always liked JD, but given a choice between Marco and JD, I will vote for Marco.

tim maguire said...

"Never Vance" ... because Never Trump worked out so well for that crowd.

Idiots.

Cappy said...

I can't see voting Dem, but greatly dislike Vance.

Amexpat said...

Vance is extremely intelligent and articulate. There's something Clintonesque about him as he can discuss detailed policy in a high brow setting and do well in a Joe Rogan setting. But like Clinton he seems unctious at times.

Indefinitely Extended Excursion™️ said...

As part of our campaign against antisemitism, we are endorsing the neo-Nazi right in Germany and Poland. ~ JD Vance

lonejustice said...

I'd rather have Rubio or DeSantis.

Dogma and Pony Show said...

The "knives out" angle is ridiculous. Every candidate has enemies who can gin up stories in the press about how supposedly unfit or feckless the guy is according to unidentified insiders.

As for Rubio v. Vance, both are extremely talented and capable. However, whereas Marco is 13 years older than JD, I'd prefer him as 48 and Vance as 49.

planetgeo said...

It's obvious why they are working so hard to destroy Vance's image and viability as the next candidate for President. His intelligence is formidable, and he is particularly effective when he is directly confronted by them, as shown in multiple confrontations on hostile forums like The View and several leftist news shows. He obliterates their false narratives and ineffective gotcha questions, leaving them sputtering and looking silly ("Margaret, just listen to yourself..."").

But their efforts, if successful, will actually be even more catastrophic for them. The alternative (Rubio), is gaining momentum and will not only be tougher for them to beat, but will also likely snatch permanently what they hoped would be their not-so-secret weapon, the massive wave of Latino legal and illegal voters.

Blood (and ethnic pride) is thicker than bribes, you bozos. Thanks!

gilbar said...

"..They have asserted, without evidence.."
remember!
it's Always Only republicans that Need evidence.
If you're on the left saying that you have a recollection from long ago..
or you heard someone SAY they had a recollection..
OR you remeber hearing someone say They hear someone say..
That's ALL GOOD.. no need for names, let alone evidence..
that is, IF you're on the left

gilbar said...

rehajm said...
"..who are these ‘his detractors’? WaPoo?.."

what? are you implying that the WaPoo asserted, without evidence?
evidence? THEY don't need no sticking evidence!
They are the WaPoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OcM23Hbs5U

Big Mike said...

Since it’s the Washington Post then what they’re doing is trying to undercut ahead of time the person who terrifies the lefty loonies the most.

As I once wrote of Trump, I love him for the enemies he has made. They are the enemies of every decent person on this planet.

Temujin said...

There will be a lot written. But you can ignore that and just watch him perform. Watch him versus his other current top opponents, Marco Rubio and Ron DeSantis. Who is performing? Who appears competent in different situations? Who seems to be able to juggle multiple key issues or projects at a time? Who can speak to a room full of serious people, either from this country, or from other nations, and command their respect and attention?

I can sit back and watch all of these guys in action. And as I live in Florida, I also get a first hand look at how my life is under Ron DeSantis. I watch all of them in action. I listen to their words. I watch how they interact with global leaders. I think all three of these guys have strengths. But if I had to list the most competent and capable of handling the Presidency at this point, JD Vance would be the last guy on this list. He may change my mind. There's a lot of time between now and then. But from what I've seen up until today- it's not even close.

Indefinitely Extended Excursion™️ said...

Recently read the Mike Pence and JD Vance books. Vance makes me miss Pence. I mean, Pence is a man of character and belief. Vance is a shape shifting chameleon.

What Conservatives Believe: Rediscovering the Conservative Conscience by Mike Pence

Communion: Finding My Way Back to Faith by JD Vance

These two Republicans seem to be going religious at a time when large groups comprising probably a majority are going ever more secular.

The two books together show that Republican politics is a highly variegated place with many intrinsic contradictions that Trump was able to corral into one tent with a personality that mightily attracts some and just as mightily repels others. Trump's transactional expediency seems to be the glue that is holding what is left of his support together. The Republicans are fracturing, not unifying. A fair question to ask is just what will be left to inherit in 2028 for a successor?

A religious right political party may be just too small a grouping to challenge for presidential victory. On the Democratic party side of the political spectrum, the Democrats are rejecting Zionism at an astonishing rate. American politics appears to be going resolutely secular as religion is viewed as divisive relative to important political questions.

Known Unknown said...

" Vance makes me miss Pence."

Sure, sure.

Known Unknown said...

Rubio will not run against Vance. Not even sure DeSantis will. The opponents will be fringe Republicans who want a book deal and TV time and maybe a quasi-legit Never-Trump candidate

M Jordan said...

It’s all about Israel.

Kai Akker said...

And here's a whole post about Vance, waddyaknow. Creep. Phony. Imitator of whoever he thinks can advance his future. Ugh ugh ugh.

FredSays said...

Vance, Rubio and DeSantis are formidable candidates. Each will have detractors gunning for them in the next couple of years and will be well-vetted by nominating season. Right now I like Rubio, but who knows?

Lazarus said...

This is a fringe phenomenon. The old neocons in the media are attacking Vance. Is it anything more than that? Are knives really out in DC or are some politicians just grumbling about him.

Vance vs. Pence is a false opposition. Vance was co-opted by Washington DC and became an Establishment figure. My fear is that Vance is similar: a very "vice presidential figure" without the energy and ability to handle the top spot.

Aggie said...

I don't think JD Vance is ready for the presidency yet. I think Marco is, if he wants it - and I think he does. JD has been given opportunities to flex on the world stage, but so far I do not see his accomplishments as being particularly noteworthy. This is how Trump moves - he dispatches his team members to specific problems, and then watches how they move. I think that frequently, these problems are outside of their direct remit, to test their adaptability, their ability to perceive the situation and synthesize a way forward. In this regard, Rubio has been distinctly successful - as all the memes of Rubio in different uniforms concur.

John henry said...

What do the following people have in common?

Martin Van Buren
John C. Breckinridge
Richard Nixon
Hubert Humphrey
George H.W. Bush
Al Gore
Kamala Harris

All were sitting vice presidents who ran for VP and lost.

Except Bush and Van Buren

What did they have the others did not? Executive experience and even that did not get them elected to a second term.

And these?

Joe Biden (VP under Obama → President, though after a gap)

Succeeded to the presidency (president died or resigned):

Millard Fillmore
John Tyler
Andrew Johnson
Chester A. Arthur
Theodore Roosevelt
Calvin Coolidge
Harry Truman
Lyndon B. Johnson
Gerald Ford

All of their presidencies except TR and Coolidge were considered to be unsuccessful.
None was re-elected to a 2nd full term.
Except TR and Coolidge, none had any executive experience prior to the presidency.

Biden and Nixon both had spectacularly unsuccessful presidencies having been elected after a gap between VP and P. Neither had any executive experience.

So explain to me why a VP, any VP including Vance, should ever be considered for the presidency? They have no executive function while VP, they are not assistant president or anything like. Their only official function is to preside over the Senate as president and most don't even do that except ceremonially.

So can someone explain JD Vance's qualifications to be president of the US?

He may have good ideas (or not, YMMV) but he has never demonstrated any ability to get anything done. He has no executive experience. He has never been responsible for any organization or really anything beyond his staff.

John Henry

Wince said...

Won't Trump largely pick his successor?

Indefinitely Extended Excursion™️ said...

^^ Ding Ding 🛎️

Kai Akker said...

Wince, I'm not sure Melania wants it.

Howard said...

So, RSM, are you saying that Trump is essentially John McCain? The Iran debacle, therefore, is strong evidence that whomsoever is pulling the levers behind the curtain has brought Donald to heel.

John henry said...

I like Vance. I don't know much about him but what I do know I like. I do not see him as president.

I did listen to the entire Rogan interview. I did not come away disliking him but did think it was rather meh.

Only thing I really disagreed with was that he seemed to think the govt should force everyone to be in unions. I am a pretty absolute believer in the right of people to unionize. But I am also a believer that it must be voluntary.

Rubio does not have a lot of executive experience either. A year and ahalf as SecState. But he has demonstrated that he has executive ability in that role. Not as much as I would like to see but certainly way more than Vance.

I'm for Rubio, in a lukewarm way, unless someone better comes along.

John Henry

John henry said...

I would love to see Vance recognize that he will never be president and make a deal with Rubio to continue as president of the senate (VP) in 28 and 32 (and beyond?)

The president of the senate has only a few small powers and he is restrained from exercising them by the shiny lure of the presidency. "Behave yourself now, JD, or we won't let you run for president." That is what happened to LBJ when he became VP and tried to exercise power in the senate.

If he said he didn't care, he's going to be like LBJ as Majority Leader (who had even fewer powers than the VP) he could leverage those powers and become a real force. This would be especially true if he realized he might have 6 or 10 or more years remaining in charge of the Senate.

I can dream, can't I?

John Henry

Rob said...

It's Trump vs the Uniparty and Vance is part of the Trump camp so this should be no surprise.

Lazarus said...

Talk about a "Republican Civil War" is intended to distract us from the Democrats' current problems.

Marcus Bressler said...

DJT should resign right before the last month of his term so JD can be president for a month. RINO heads would explode.

Big Mike said...

“ Known Unknown said...

Rubio will not run against Vance.”

Rubio has already endorsed Vance.

Big Mike said...

@Lazarus, BINGO!

tim maguire said...

I like de Santis, but I feel like his time has come and gone. I don't know why he never caught on, but he didn't. Vance is obviously extremely intelligent, but he's just a bit slimy and I don't trust him. I didn't used to trust Rubio, but he's earned my respect as secretary of state, so he's who I'm pulling for.

They're all young; there's plenty of time for each of them to rise to the top, but I need to see something from Vance that I haven't seen yet before I can be comfortable supporting him.

John henry said...

One other thing:

for 150 years, from the 12th Amendment to Richard Nixon, nobody even seems to have considered that the VP running for Prez was a reasonable idea. (Van B and Breckenridge excepted)

Now everyone seems to see, wrongly, the VP as essentially being the president in waiting.

John Henry

John Henry

RideSpaceMountain said...

"The Iran debacle, therefore, is strong evidence that whomsoever is pulling the levers behind the curtain has brought Donald to heel."

Gee...golly...wonder whomsoever that might be.

Dogma and Pony Show said...

JH, eliminating veeps from presidential consideration based on your dataset seems pretty extreme. You first list contains seven names. Two actually won the presidency as sitting veeps. Two others lost in razor-thin elections (Nixon and Gore). Of the remaining three who lost, two did so in extremely unusual times: 1860 and 1968.

I also disagree that seven out of the nine veeps who became president had "unsuccessful" presidencies, at least insofar as you're attributing their lack of successful as president to their having been vice presidents first. LBJ certainly wasn't unsuccessful BECAUSE he had been JFK's vice president; it was because of his policies. The same could be said of HST, although people initially had difficulty accepting him as president after twelve years of FDR. But what you really seem to be missing is that when a nobody becomes vice president and then falls into the presidency, they of course are unlikely to be successful in the latter role. It doesn't follow that the same fate awaits a capable, accomplished politician who becomes vice president and then president.

RideSpaceMountain said...

"So, RSM, are you saying that Trump is essentially John McCain?"

No. Tom Woods said, “no matter who you vote for you end up with John McCain.” I'm agreeing with him.

Since 9/11, it seems to me that various flavors of John McCain-style foreign policy are all Americans will be 'allowed' to end up with. Americans can vote for female McCain, brown McCain, fat McCain, democrat McCain, republican McCain, dementia-ridden McCain, communist McCain and everyone gets all emotional about it and lets it ruin their family functions. Americans will be 'allowed' to send memes around about their chosen flavor of McCain taking shots at their opponent's McCain so long as any variation of non-McCain-style "Barbara Ann" foreign policy doesn't manifest.

They will take the "knives out" for any candidate whose McCain-chops are suspect. But it's early yet. Trump's "no new wars"/"we'll wipe out their civilization" conversion is proof that non-McCain heretics can still be baptized into the Church of John McCain after the people have been sufficiently lied to, so too maybe with JD.

But we haven't really seen what happens when a non-McCain heretic that can't be converted...or have we?

n.n said...

Sowing handmade tales by the rising waters of the seashore to render viability and abort democracy. WaPout.

Hassayamper said...

I suppose these machinations trace back to Rubio's allies.

I'd be happy with either of them, but Rubio has been more impressive in terms of accomplishments, and has a better chance to win in my view.

John henry said...

Dogma,

I do not attribute their lack of success as Prez to their having been VPs. I attribute the lack of success to not having had executive experience. TR, Coolidge, Van B, Bush all had considerable executive experience prior to their vice-presidencies.

When I spoke of failed presidencies, I meant that was how they were viewed at the time. Not necessarily how they are viewed now in the rose colored glasses of history.

I would not exclude Vance or anyone else for having been VP. I would exclude them, politically not legally, for not having executive experience.

To carry it further, the lack of exec experience might be a useful qualification for VP. A person used to doing and achieving is likely to be frustrated in a role like this.

John Henry

Hassayamper said...

*** Biden and Nixon both had spectacularly unsuccessful presidencies having been elected after a gap between VP and P. ***

This is not at all fair to Nixon. His first term was very successful, as the margin of victory in the 1972 election testifies. It was plain he was the man who was going to disentangle us from the Vietnam quagmire.

He was brought low by two things: 1) the scheming court eunuchs and Praetorian Guard types in the spy and security agencies, along with their allies in the news media, and 2) the 1973 Arab oil embargo after the Yom Kippur War. If he'd had the brazen disposition of a Donald Trump, he might have been able to ride it out.

hombre said...

What bullshit! Democrats have some useful allies among Trumpsters who still don’t get that unless you are Trump it is folly to dump on your own. Vance, Rubio, DeSantis and several others are better than anyone the Democrats have. Trump does not have any clones.

Howard said...

That McCainiac clone is a seriously plausible theory. No doubt run by the closeted gay cabal, jk.

john mosby said...

John Henry, I like the idea of JD as permanent GOP VP. I brought it up a few days ago and called it the American Shogun concept. Like the original hereditary Japanese prime ministers, the habitual VP would garner inside knowledge if only thru sheer osmosis. The office would transform from the warm spit-bucket to the true runner of things. The Shogunate would help overcome the difficulties inherent in a president trying to gain control of the blob in a short period of time. CC, JSM

Howard said...

RSM. interesting Times of Israel article. No mention of Hegseth's pre-war advice. My impression is that he is a complete Yes Man and went along with Trump's desire for a huge game-changing victory like nobody's ever seen before. It sounds like the con man got conned because he doesn't know how to read a topographic map.

Indefinitely Extended Excursion™️ said...


“no matter who you vote for you end up with John McCain.”

Trump started the war in Iran. So why does it feel like Biden did?
Honestly, this feels like Trump's best escape route. Claim Biden started the war and he's just trying to clean up Biden's mess and get us out of there.

Maynard said...

VPs don’t do well running for POTUS when people are tired of the outgoing one and have vague desires for change. That was obviously not the case with Reagan/Bush. We wanted more Reagan.

RCOCEAN II said...

The Neo-cons are always on the offensive and always scared someone that doesn't agree with them 100 percent on every issue will use their power or get more power.

Shapiro and Levin went from 2016 Never-trumpers, to 2020 lesser of two evils to 2024 Trump supporters. Yet even now they'll attack "The big guy" if he doesn't bow down to Netenyahu on every issue.

So, Vance is being attacked by right people. But the fact they hate him, doesn't mean he's on our side. We learned that with Trump.

RideSpaceMountain said...

Put AOC in there. Or Kamala. They're so stupid useful idiots demand they not be associated with them. Or Jeb. Or Gavin. You think grandpa dawdertucher wouldn't be raining jdam strikes on Tehran right now if they'd managed only slightly better to hide how much of a potato he really was?

The point remains, they're all John McCains. It. Makes. No. Difference.

deepelemblues said...

I like Rubio a lot more than Vance. I like Vance a lot more than any Democrat. People like Strassel make me like Vance more. People like Sean Davis and Posobiec make me like Rubio more. People like Tuq'r make me like Rubio a lot more. I'll support and vote Rubio in the primary, and support and vote Vance in the general, if Vance wins the nomination.

bagoh20 said...

They have a slogan, so watch out!

Lem Vibe Bandit said...

How did 'Never Trump' work out?

bagoh20 said...

The GOP may have the best bench in history, and the Dems the worst, but for some reason the nation is still near 50/50, and elections in general are a toss up. It's kind of embarrassing. It's frustrating to see quality and intelligence have little to no bearing. One of the most vapid, least qualified people is leading in polls among Democrats, and that's true regardless of which one is leading.

Earnest Prole said...

As noted upthread, since 1841 a single Vice President has been elected President directly: George HW Bush, in the wake of the highly popular presidency of Ronald Reagan. Donald Trump’s polling is now in the low thirties. President JD Vance is a thing that just ain’t happening.

John henry said...

Hassyamper,

My recollection of Nixon at the time was that he was widely reviled. I agree that he was actually a pretty good prez but that is not how he was seen at the time.As I said, YMMV.

He did have the good fortune to run against McGovern. I think my dog could have carried 45 states against McG and I don't even have a dog!

In a way like Trump without a personality. Would you say President Trump is viewed as a successful president?

By me, certainly. Perhaps by you and others. But the general published view seems to be no. Not for objective reasons just "Waaaaaah!!!! We don't like him and we are going to yell at the sky and hold our breath until we turn blue." (See come of the commenters here.)

John Henry

John henry said...

John Mosby, I like the cut of your jib. Never thought of it as a shogunate but cool.

I really do want to see the VP carry out his constitutional duties and actually preside as in "run" the senate.

John Henry

John henry said...

Indefinitely Extended Excursion™️ said...


Trump started the war in Iran.

Bullshit. Carter started it. Reagan, Bush, Clinton, Bush 2, Obama, Trump 1 and Biden simply kicked the can down the road. Trump 2 could have done that but at some point it has to stop.

If not now, when do you think is should be, IEE?

John Henry

mccullough said...

Rubio is too short to win a presidential election.

Hassayamper said...


*** My recollection of Nixon at the time was that he was widely reviled. ****

Well of course it's your recollection. To an even greater extent than today, the enemy communist termites in the news media shaped all our recollections. Even avuncular Walter Cronkite, may his tombstone be washed away in a river of piss, was among them.

Earnest Prole said...

“My recollection of Nixon at the time was that he was widely reviled.”

Pauline Kael has entered the thread (“I live in a rather special world. I only know one person who voted for Nixon.”).

Gallup’s polling on Richard Nixon’s favorability is easily found with seven seconds of googling. Until Watergate his approval/disapproval was never less than +10 and often twice that.

Old and slow said...

I don’t understand people who say “I don’t like X”, so I don’t want to vote for them. I don’t LIKE Trump, but that’s entirely beside the point. I’m not voting for who I want as a friend. I’m voting based on ideology and previous performance, and competence. I’d vote for Vance or Rubio in heartbeat. Whether or not I like them has never even crossed my mind.

n.n said...

Ad-Vance-ing

n.n said...

Rubio is a gem. We need both men to lead.

Dogma and Pony Show said...

JH: I can't argue against the value of executive experience, but the modern presidency isn't entirely about being an executive. The Founders would have been shocked to hear this, but you have to be a media-savvy salesman of your agenda. And of course greatness requires that you have the right agenda for the times.

I suppose Rubio's executive experience exceeds Vance's -- the State Dept has something like 79k employees -- but the fact that Vance (typical of modern VPs) has a front-row seat and an important role in Trump's administration has to count for something, right?

Birches said...

+1 RSM @10:17

Birches said...

And yes, Rubio is too short to be President.

Many of you think that Rubio is the smarter pick because he's Latino, but he's Cuban. It is a little different and no Republican is in danger of losing Florida. Vance's white trash family is actually a whole lot more relatable to working class Hispanics I think.

Iman said...

An excellent take, nn @12:56PM

boatbuilder said...

The fact of the matter is that Trump is the black swan. Sui generis. It is hard to imagine anyone else with both the vision and the sheer unadulterated egomaniac fuck you balls necessary to take on the entrenched layers of suckitude that make up our government, our press, our entertainment industry, our judiciary and our educational establishment.* I will support Vance, Rubio, Desantis, Cruz, Spencer Pratt, Tom Brady (heard that one on sports radio today), or whomever, but I am not going to kid myself on this.#
*Elon Musk runs a very distant second. He's not eligible, so he must confine his ambitions to taking over the entire universe.
#I will not under any circumstances support Mike Pence.

hanuman_prodigious_leaper said...

No time for Rogan ====. Seriously work to do!!!
Marco Rubio has not appeared as a guest on The Joe Rogan Experience, though media coverage frequently contrasts his foreign policy views with Vice President JD Vance, who did appear on Rogan's podcast

hanuman_prodigious_leaper said...

Taller Rubio >>>> exoskeleton or Leg extension surgery, or limb lengthening surgery, is a complex orthopedic procedure that cuts the bone and uses an internal or external device to slowly pull the bone segments apart. This stimulates the body to grow new bone and tissue in the gap. It is commonly performed to treat bone length discrepancies, congenital deformities, or for cosmetic height increase

Blair said...

All the people attacking Vance are either Jews or Dispensationalist Evangelical Protestants, who see him as insufficiently Zionist for their tastes. That's the only reason you're seeing stories like this. They think he is dangerous to their interests, and I hope that he is.

Rubio is only currently lauded because he is being a good Trump lackey. He was a pretty wishy-washy Senator, and once he starts using his own brain again, the flaws will resume being evident.

rhhardin said...

The right reason to be against Vance is that he doesn't know how principles work. Namely he thinks that they don't need revision. For Trump the principle and the consequence are in contest.

Jim at said...

*Rubio is too short to win a presidential election.*

Yep. As trivial as that might be, it's something he'll never get past.

FortheloveofIce said...

MAGA hopes are high for 2028. Although its a dwindling flame, the remaining chuds are the hardest of hardcore.

"I don't care what the Epstein Files say.…..
I'd rather have a pedophile rapist grifting the
country and starting needless wars than admit I was ever wrong."

Howard said...

If he stopped at the bunker buster that obliterated the nuke facility, Trump would be shitting in tall cotton right now instead of leading a parade on the mall in the nude.

Maybe he's a stealth Democrat set to destroy the Republican Party, including Vance and Rubio.

Jaq said...

It’s a MAGA civil war, and the only winner will be the Democrats. If an American elected official does not put a certain foreign country first, they are a traitor, isn’t that what America first meant, it was like the no more wars promise, people in the know already knew that they meant the exact opposite, and were only meant to get the votes of rubes like me.

Jaq said...

I feel so betrayed by Trump, I can’t even express it.

Earnest Prole said...

“All the people attacking Vance are either Jews or blah blah blah”

Wait, another Althouse commenter with the Hebrew Jeebiez?

GRW3 said...

This is just noise. Nobody cares, certainly not Vance.

Blair said...

"...Hebrew Jeebiez?"

Actually no, I'm far more terrified of the aforementioned Dispensationalist Protestant Christians. There are a lot more of them, and at least when Jews are Zionists, they're acting in rational self-interest. Those Zionist Christians are both theologically ignorant, and certifiably nuts.

William said...

You get FLAK when you’re over the target.

RideSpaceMountain said...

+1 Blair. So much this. It's unreal how some dispensationalists are practically worshiping Jews, and there's a lot of evidence. They should convert already...but not even Judaism will have them. Matrilineality's a bitch.

Iman said...

“Maybe he's a stealth Democrat set to destroy the Republican Party, including Vance and Rubio.”

And if you trained monkeys to fly out of your narrow behind, perhaps you’d have a popular circus act.

Lazarus said...

Part of the vice presidential curse is that after 8 or 12 years, people are tired of the ruling party and blame everything that is wrong on it. They forget that party's achievements and how bad things were under the other party.

While it's true that most VP haven't had executive experience, they were also chosen because they were seen as inherently weak and malleable figures, second raters willing to take a back seat and not make waves. Tim Walz, Tim Kaine: both had executive experience, and both would have made horrible presidents.

boatbuilder said...

"I feel so betrayed by Trump, I can’t even express it."

Yet you keep trying, post after post after post. The therapy doesn't seem to be working. Maybe go post somewhere else.

Tina Trent said...

Simple. Vance is opposed to immigration, legal and illegal. Rubio is for it, though he lies. The end.

NKP said...

Best potential president
1. DeSantis - Best gov. In USA. No close 2nd. Covid, Education, Economy, Defense, Immigration, won over many purple voters
2. Vance. A tie with Rubio, really. The next 18 months will decide
3. Rubio. Love the guy far more than expected but still wary
4. Cruz. Capable, trustworthy. Rather see him as Chief Justice

Best campaigners - Rubio, Vance, DeSantis, Cruz in order to

VEEPs - Assassination threat will grow. VP must be ready Day 1. No OJT. All previously named fit. Avoid trap of naming female or POC based on that as a qualifier. Arkansas Gov and Gabbard possible long shots. Bessent? Senate full of weak-ass talkers

Jaq said...

Vance is Trump’s insurance against, well let’s just say that they gave him a golden pager to commemorate, well probably not so much to commemorate but to remind Trump of how his daddy plays.

NKP said...

Starship launch in 7 minutes. Youtube

john mosby said...

The discussion of candidate qualities reminds me of something I thought of a few days ago:

We will never put AI in charge.

Why not? Because we don't put the smartest people in charge right now.

I don't mean that as an insult to any of the candidates being discussed. They are all the 1% of the 1% intelligence-wise.

But we don't select from among them based on their intelligence. We do it based on other qualities, which you all have mentioned supra.

So we won't put an AI in charge.

Now just like charismatic, aggressive, fuck-you-ballsy politicians hire smart people to advise them, CAFYB pols will also rely a lot on AI. They probably do now.

But the AI will never make the final decisions. CC, JSM

Ampersand said...

Vance fell under the spell of the Tucker Carlson nativist isolationist, protopopulist movement and suddenly discovered that it was a political suicide wave with linkages to left wing grievances. He has to define himself as his own man, but VP is a tough place from which to define an independent course. None of the possible Republican candidates could possibly be worse than any of the Democrats.
I hope Trump takes a back seat. Fat bloody chance.

Not Illinois Resident said...

Vance did a very friendly podcast episode with Joe Rogan recently. Still comes off as an articulate, knowledgeable guy, who know professes his Catholic faith. Designed to meet most criteria of most voters aside from democratic-socialist baby-boomer liberals.

Of course Dems are on full rampage. Pricey Platner campaign exploded in their face, likely because Platner has far worse skeletons in his closet than thus far disclosed. AOC and Harris and Newsom aren't capable of debating Vance in any face-ot-face media exposure. No wonder Dem Party leadership is mobilizing the social media slander army; cue The View ladies, cue NYT and Economist, cue Hollywood royalty!

PrimoStL said...

RideSpaceMountain said, "The point remains, they're all John McCains. It. Makes. No. Difference."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lol. John McCain was a national hero and served his country his whole life and deserves our respect. He was also fucking insane.

Craig Mc said...

How do you spell Democrat Astro-Turfing?

Post a Comment

Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.