January 20, 2022

"When Polka Dots Signal Both Optimism and Disquiet/The motif has long been associated with a certain brand of American cheeriness but, as its recent ubiquity attests, is most visible during times of turbulence."

A headline in T, the NYT Style Magazine, for an article by Nick Haramis.

The history of polka dots. This is the article I want to read. I feel some pressure to write about Biden's 2-hour news conference yesterday, which I watched, but I'm loath to blog it without a complete transcript. I have seen the "5 takeaways" pieces and the "utter disaster!!!" stuff, and it's propaganda on top of propaganda. Until I find a transcript, I'm holding off, I'm in the ellipsis... and therefore: polka dots!

Haramis writes delightfully:

Though a staple of Central European folk art, and named for a dance popularized in mid-19th-century Bohemia (now part of the Czech Republic), polka dots have played an outsize role in defining America’s national identity over the past century. For a country constitutionally preoccupied with happiness, the print has proved a useful and recurring signifier of optimism, especially when it seems furthest from reach. Polka dots are the uniform of the ever-perky Minnie Mouse, and of a relentlessly high-spirited Shirley Temple in 1934’s “Stand Up and Cheer!,” released in the midst of the Great Depression. During World War II, when Westinghouse Electric produced a poster to boost the morale of female workers, it depicted a factory employee with her hair wrapped in a red polka-dot scarf, ready to get the job done. (The refined New Look — rounded shoulders, cinched waist, billowing skirt — that Christian Dior developed in the postwar years was in many ways an expression of European distaste for Rosie the Riveter’s earnest vigor.) By the 1950s, polka dots had come to symbolize, for better or worse, the dogged cheer of midcentury America. Marilyn Monroe and Lucille Ball wore the print with such frequency that it became the visual equivalent of apple pie — comforting but predictable — and in Billy Wilder’s 1961 political satire, “One, Two, Three,” East German Stasi officers torment a suspected spy by playing, on repeat, a caterwauling version of the 1960 Brian Hyland song “Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polkadot Bikini.” Too much of a good thing can be wonderful; it can also be torture. 

Ha ha. I remember when that song came out. There were so many novelty songs at the time, and they were wonderful to me when I was 9. As for bikinis, though they were very controversial until the 1970s, they'd been around since 1946, when the designer named them after the atomic bomb test that had just taken place on the Bikini Atoll. And that drags me back into contemplating Biden's new conference, in which I believe he advised Putin that the only way for him to succeed in Ukraine would be to use nuclear weapons. I need the transcript....

Here's the Wikipedia article on polka dots, where, among other things, I learned about Polka Dot Man and the fact that because the dots on his costume are different sizes and colors, they are not actual polka dots:

Apparently, Polka Dot Man can peel off those dots and turn them into useful weaponry. He looks a little like Biden, don't you think? That smile! Those eyes... speaking of dots....

But the ultimate use of polka dots to keep us giddy in times of turbulence has got to be "The Polka-Dot Polka" — the "surreal finale" of the 1943 Busby Berkeley musical "The Gang's All Here":

 

ADDED: 2 years before "Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polkadot Bikini," there was that other novelty song about skimpy clothing for women, "Short Shorts." On the piano, that's Bob Gaudio, who co-wrote the song and went on to co-write all the most famous Four Seasons songs:

And as long as I'm extending this post with extra video of songs about wild things women are wearing, here's the most famous number from "The Gang's All Here," "The Lady In The Tutti Frutti Hat":

That moved the classy critic James Agee to write: "There is one routine with giant papier-mache bananas, cutting to thighs, then feet, then rows of toes, which deserves to survive in every casebook of blatant film surreptition for the next century." And here we are in the next century, talking about it.

AND: From the OED entry for "polka dot":

1966    Mrs. L. B. Johnson White House Diary 3 Apr. (1970) 382   A young newspaper-woman in a black-and-white polka-dot bikini, with a figure to suit it....

1957    V. Nabokov Pnin vi. 138   Amber-brown Monarch butterflies flapped.., their incompletely retracted black legs hanging rather low beneath their polka-dotted bodies.
1996    Esquire June 38   A model whose nom de spume was Big Ginger bobbed her lush mangoes perkily against her polka-dotted bikini top.

 

 

30 comments:

David Begley said...

WH has posted a transcript. I pity the court reporter.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/speeches-remarks/2022/01/19/remarks-by-president-biden-in-press-conference-6/

AndrewV said...

I remember in the mid 1980's their was a house in Orlando, Florida that was painted purple with yellow polka dots. I figured the owner didn't like his neighbors.

Emilie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
tcrosse said...

Don't forget Winston Churchill's polka-dot bow tie.

Emilie said...

As a child I was intrigued by Harvey comics - the series of children, each defined by one characteristic: Richie Rich was wealthy, Little Lotta was fat, and Little Dot was obsessed with dots.

Perhaps easy to write fat jokes and rich jokes, but dot jokes? The fact that they were able to continue to write stories based on this one weird obsession seemed surreal to me then and now.

Dot's full name is Dot Polka.

rhhardin said...

I used to have an 8-antenna active array spread out over an acre, the point being to null away local AM stations to hear the station under them. (Imus was on one of those.)

As a rule though, if you null away the local AM broadcast station, you get a station under it playing polka music.

Temujin said...

In Amor Towels "Rules of Civility" a blue polka dot dress made a huge statement in Manhattan of the late 1930's, a time of disquiet and change.

Ann Althouse said...

@David Begley

Thanks. I'd seen that but thought it was going to be only the scripted remarks at the beginning.

So... good... I'll see what I can do.

Kai Akker said...

Great post, AA! And I haven't even watched the videos yet.

Polka dots meant maturity and sophistication and mystery to me as a child. Whenever I opened a lady's closet, like my grandmother's, there were the polka dot dresses. How adult. That mysterious world.

Big Mike said...

@Althouse, you have my sympathies.

I just hope there’s nothing in that transcript about going to war over Ukraine. Because with the likes of Austin and Milley leading our military I think the US would get our butts kicked good and hard.

Scot said...

Like most art, polka dots come from nature. Prey & predator wear them for disguise. Was a creative turn to make polka dots an attractive feature on clothing, the wolves appreciate it.

Roger Sweeny said...

"The polka dot lives on." That's Alice Faye singing. The Gang's All Here is a fun movie. Amazing what could be done without computer graphics.

rehajm said...

Polka dots have an appealing emotional interplay with shape and scale and color. More than any Rothko ever did..

Scot said...

Re The Lady In The Tutti Frutti Hat

YOW! Pipe those gams.

My mother sang the Chiquita banana song to me when I was a kid. Supposedly, this ad was played at movie theaters because bananas were relatively unknown to N. Americans & United Fruit Co. wanted to have happier customers. Trigger warning: phallic images.

"Never never never never put bananas in the refrigerator."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFDOI24RRAE

rehajm said...

As a rule though, if you null away the local AM broadcast station, you get a station under it playing polka music

OMG that’s funny…

Ann Althouse said...

@Emilie

Your discussion of the cartoon character Dot caused me to remember the 1992 movie "This Is My Life" — written & directed by Nora Ephron and starring Julie Kavner as a mother who becomes a standup comedian and renames herself Dottie and wears polka dots. Or maybe her name is already Dottie and she adopts the wearing of polka dots as part of her persona. How can I remember? I saw that thing 30 years ago.

Here's the trailer.

Rollo said...

In the interest of racial equity, I am now calling them "rapper dots."

gilbar said...

in America; girls can, And DO, wear Polka Dotted Short Shorts
is This a Great Country, or What?

It's Too Bad that it's all going to burn up in Jo Biden's upcoming Nuclear Combat with the Ruskies

Temujin said...

Misspelled the author's last name. I could have left it, but that kind of thing bugs me. It's Amor Towles. Bad morning habit of rushing around while commenting.

J L Oliver said...

I loved to wear polka dots in the 60’s. So fun. If I was feeling more refined I went for Swiss Dot.

Wince said...

Can't believe Althouse left out Myron Floren from Lawrence Welk.

Myron Floren "Pennsylvania Polka" with Cissy, Bobby Sandi, Gail & Mary Lou

Bobby was Will Ferrell before there was a Will Ferrell.

Joe Smith said...

Ask Minnie...

tim in vermont said...

Growing up in Upstate New York, who can forget WHAM, and it's 50,000 watts of polkas every Sunday?

Mike (MJB Wolf) said...

Always nice to learn something new and then to realize I never even considered how polka music and polka dots were related. I found more background here:
https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/57320/do-polka-dots-have-anything-do-polka

Darkisland said...

OMG!!! Polka Dottie has lost her dots! What is she going to do?

https://youtu.be/5ZzcyyW76kg

When I was 5 my goal in life was to be Rootie Kazootie. Not that I admired him that much. I figured it was a way to get next to Polka Dottie. I had a major crush on her.

Looking at the clip just now I realized who started the fad of hats with the visor to the side. Rootie and entire studio audience (All white of course) were wearing that style hat.

I always thought it was a cool look but in all my years have never found a place that sells them. All the caps I find have the visor in the front.

John LGBTQBNY Henry

Darkisland said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Darkisland said...

Blogger Darkisland said...

I got married in a polka dot bow tie.

My plaid suit with the 6" labels was the pips too.

What can I say? It was the 70's. So shoot me. Me and Frank Costanza, we don't follow the trends.

Sean Gleeson said...

OK but what did Agee mean by "blatant film surreptition" anyway? What was supposed to be the surreptitious part in giant bananas, and toes, etc.? Or was it somehow the film itself that was surreptitious, somehow? Blatantly? But can anything be both blatant and surreptitious? Seems like you can be one or the other, but not both. Request clarification.

KellyM said...

What? No mention of the "Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka-Dot Bikini"? I'm amazed.

Leora said...

I couldn't read the article but the lead picture shows an unhappy looking model in polka dots. Marilyn and Lucy both always looked happy in their polka dots. I remember my mother's polka dot dress with the full skirt. Very 50's.