January 29, 2019

"They left the park chatting about Trump. Seema liked that Luis had to bend down at least half a foot just to talk to her."

"It wasn’t only that he was tall, it was that his height made him a bit clumsy, and that was sweet. They continued to talk about Trump on autopilot, the way people were doing that summer. All of a sudden, Seema wanted to say something real. 'When things are tough with my family,' she said, 'I like to watch Trump, because he just takes my mind off stuff. No matter what happens personally, there’s this much greater disaster taking place.' 'Very well put,' Luis said. 'I do a lot of private-slash-public toggling of my own. So, how do you handle shame?' 'Sorry?' 'Is there a Hindu mechanism for dealing with shame, or is it just internalized like Julianna’s Confucianism?'"

I'm reading "Lake Success" by Gary Shteyngart (the author of that "This American Life" segment about the stabbing of the ending-spoiler in the Antarctic that I liked so much).

8 comments:

Ken B said...

Fiction?
Should I page rhhardin?

rehajm said...

What’s the disaster?

bagoh20 said...

I can't wait till we can get back to the good ol' days of lower pay, higher taxes, and fewer jobs, but we can have some guy in Washington D.C. with a nice pants crease. Has anyone critiqued Trump's crease? I may be a little weird, but good economics "for the people" gives me a thrill up my leg.

Maillard Reactionary said...

Eh? Was there some point here that I missed?

I say again: Eh?

chuck said...

Sounds like a satiric novel of character. But I could be mistaken :)

Michael Fitzgerald said...

This is pretty typical "New Yorker" shit written for Democrat party members that makes them feel superior, benevolent and righteous. But that only works on Democrat party members. Everyone else thinks it's insufferable rubbish.

tim maguire said...

Much greater disaster, like people getting jobs and having their lives get better? Like the US getting out if foreign entanglements? Like US allies fulfilling their international duties so we don’t have to do all the heavy lifting anymore? Like growing peace between Israel and Arab states?

So many greater disasters to choose from...

John Pickering said...

Ann, good for you to have discovered Gary Shteyngart, truly one of the outstanding novelists writing in English these days. For a dystopian view of America in the coming decades, check out his Super Sad True Love Story (2010), not a great title but a really terrific novel that will stick with you.