The nine-day trial drew outsize public attention to a courtroom in Troy, a small city north of Dayton. Jurors and a gallery that held several dozen spectators heard details of Mr. Flynn’s affair with a woman he met when she was a 20-year-old intern at his church, including readings of their text messages and playbacks of the love songs that prosecutors said Mr. Flynn created for her using artificial intelligence.... Jurors heard text messages in which Mr. Flynn said he hated his wife, with whom he had two daughters, and wanted her dead....
October 1, 2026
"When I want something, I'm going to go after it."
Said Caleb Flynn on "American Idol." Note all the times he mentions his wife — "I love my wife more than anything. She is very, very pretty."
Now: "Ex-Pastor Who Auditioned for ‘American Idol’ Is Guilty of His Wife’s Murder/The trial in Ohio attracted outsize attention because the defendant, Caleb Flynn, a former music pastor, auditioned on 'American Idol' in 2013" (NYT).

44 comments:
They say you gotta be on your toes in Tipp City.
Flynn forgot the rules. He stepped into the wet gravel, behind the neon diner. A heavy shadow peeled off the brick wall. It held a snub-nosed revolver and a grudge that smelled like stale gin.
I asked ai to give me a couple of sentences in the form of pulp fiction writing, after the first ‘original’ sentence written by me.
I always wonder when I hear about these cases, why not divorce? There’s no chance of jail time with a divorce.
I found a picture of the deceased wife. She was pretty!
I can think of some other reasons it "gained attention."
Or is the story garnering attention?
Maybe from women who want to justify their support for Clancey by finding a man to hate so they can say men are just as bad?
Some initial similarities to Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker
https://youtu.be/YqxJqnoKD_A?is=FPb-98BoihGlwTp8
White men, eh?
What are we gonna do with em??
To relieve a "burden" of state and mind. Planned or premeditated personhood. Abort. Don't forget to sequester the evidence under a privacy cloak, a clinically sterilized umbrella corporation. Wicked.
Clancycide, but not mass.
Is entertaining abortive ideation and excusing... uh, exercising affirmative action a Choice of the insane or an insane Choice?
dude looks like he 60yrs old in that court room photo. just genetically aging fast, or a life of extreme stress? "pastors" of any sort that are too enthusiastic haven't come to a sober grip with the mess known as humanity yet.
"I always wonder when I hear about these cases, why not divorce?"
I believe he worked for her parents. I think there were other reasons, possibly church-related (loss of reputation, not that his church banned divorce), but I thought his employment was probably a big one.
too bad he wasn't tried in NY. The jury would have kissed his sad murdering butt and let him off.
Too often in my life and in observation of other's lives I have seen the things one might want turn out 'wanting'. Maybe people shouldn't actually get what they want all the time for a reason.
Abort the mother, spare the children. Progress?
Add to the pile of reasons TV show like this/ teen idol talent shows like this - are phony and unwatchable.
from the link:
"Mr. Joseph said that claiming an intruder shot his wife would allow Mr. Flynn to keep his lucrative job working for his wife’s family, her life insurance and his reputation as a church worship leader."
uck. have fun in hell, bro.
Planned parent... hood.
Oh, no! Not a “music pastor.”
That’s not actually my title. It’s “Music Director.”
Don’t forget the initial caps.
Hall-Mills murder redux.
The trial was 100 years ago.
Another mentally ill person who knew exactly what they were doing.
Hey - If he is "mentally ill" he should get away with it - right?
Those are the pro-crime Democratic leftist rules - right?
What is a “music pastor.” It’s a title bestowed on a worship leader when then leftmedia want to pretend a Christian is a moral leader in the church, not just a song leader.
That article is a little light on details. Was there any direct evidence that he killed his wife?
NBC news is more convincing, at least to me.
The text messages revealed a young woman who was desperate for her lover to leave his wife, at times even saying she wished Ashley Flynn were dead so Botner could be with Flynn.
Botner said on the stand that she regretted those sentiments, sobbing as she read one particularly painful message: “I want to kill her, Caleb.”
Botner said Flynn replied: “That makes two of us.”
Also, she deleted text messages from him on the night of the murder, which is suspicious as hell.
CNN is pretty damning.
“I was up until 4 a.m. last night crying, literally thinking of ways to kill her and not go to jail,” Flynn wrote in a message to Botner on August 22, 2025.
107,000 text messages in 18 months.
I don't want to say she sucked the life force out of him with her vitality, beauty and youth. But he looks vampire old at the trial. If I was a masculinist I would say that he overdosed on pussy obsession and it's not his fault at all.
My prediction for his honeypot, Miss Botner is that she will have no trouble dating in the future, and is highly likely to marry and have children. And probably will get a restraining order on that psycho boyfriend who keeps sending her postcards from prison.
ex-boyfriend, she clarified, we broke up
I found a picture of the deceased wife. She was pretty!
Very pretty.
She had a photo on her phone with his face crossed out. Apparently they both hated each other at that point.
I feel really bad for the kids, 9 and 11. So awful.
The pastor is amateur. This guy was married six times, killed three wives for insurance. Took years for Las Vegas cops to convince D.A to charge him for last murder.
"This true-crime docuseries explores the bizarre case of Thomas Randolph, a man known as the "Black Widower". In 2008, Randolph's sixth wife, Sharon Causse, was shot and killed inside their Las Vegas home. Randolph claimed to police that an intruder had broken in and killed his wife, and that he shot and killed the intruder in self-defense.
However, investigators discovered that the "intruder" was actually a handyman named Michael Miller, whom Randolph had hired to murder his wife. Once Miller completed the deed, Randolph double-crossed and murdered the hitman to cover his tracks and collect a massive $360,000 life insurance payout.
The documentary you are looking for is titled The Widower: 'Til Death Do Us Part
Get a divorce, for crying out loud. This was done out of nothing but greed.
As my pal M.R. says -
Know why divorce is so expensive?
Because it's worth it.
FullMoon - geeez. Human's have such a capacity for heartless greed.
I don’t trust people who are overtly religious or political. The chances they are sociopaths is too high.
I don’t trust people who are overtly religious or political. The chances they are sociopaths is too high.
So you're suspicious about church-goers and voters? That's a lot of people.
I don't get a sociopath vibe from this case at all. Who he was he manipulating? He and his girlfriend were like a couple of insane twitter freaks.
"I wish she was dead."
"Me too."
And it spiraled out into this weird fantasy that killing his wife would solve all his problems. Sociopathy is a medical condition where you have no emotions and you have to fake everything. This guy seems to me to have the opposite problem.
It's kind of crazy that she seduced him into killing his wife for her, and then when he did it she was all, "I want to break up."
I don't think we call people homewrecker anymore, but she really wrecked that home. Dead mom, dad's in prison, kids are practically orphans now. Even the dogs are in trouble. And she's walking around free.
One of the dangers of feminism is that this whole femme fatale archetype has disappeared from our collective imagination. It used to be that our artists warned humanity about the power of women, and how dangerous they can be. Feminism sees women as victims or heroes, but never dangerous, and never bad.
Can he plead that horniness, a sustained hormonal imbalance, caused an evolving state of insanity? All's fair in lust and abortion? Maybe, baby, not.
Why morph this into blame women?
Guy's a scumbag. He likely murdered his wife because he was too cowardly to divorce. He wanted to steal her family, her church, her very life. He betrayed his church congregation! And the Christ's Church. To think that he'd think it was OK to murder someone, and then to just continue at his congregation as if nothing happened. Straight-faced, presumably, playing music to the Glory of God!
If he's guilty, this is entirely on him: not his wife, not his girlfriend, HIM. Full stop, folks, no musings on the failings of feminism needed.
Seriously, Jesus Christ!
He heard a voice, he relieved a "burden", an ethical Choice. He spared the children.
Why morph this into blame women?
Feminism skews our politics badly.
I'm not complaining about the law, or the application of the law. Of course he's responsible for what he did. It sounds to me that they were right not to arrest her for conspiracy to murder the wife.
She had a death wish for the wife, which is not the same thing as conspiring to murder the wife.
But feminism has made me hyper-aware of how our media talks about women. The NYT, to give an example, writes this...
she was a 20-year-old intern at his church
Like she's a victim in the case! It's like the NYT is ready to charge him with sex harassment, too. Why not add a rape charge?
The NYT literally doesn't mention the name of the woman who was exchanging "I wish she would die" texts with the killer. It's insane that the NYT is protecting her innocence.
Contrast the feminist treatment of Patrick Clancy with the feminist treatment of Alleigha Botner.
Clancy didn't do anything wrong, as far as I can tell. And he's hounded and stalked by crazy people. Meanwhile, Mrs. Clancy kills her children and feminism says we have to let her go.
Now let's look at the feminist treatment of Alleigha Botner.
Adultery? Don't worry about it. Wrecking a marriage? No biggie. Wishing the wife would die? That's fine. We'll keep your name anonymous, because you're a girl who can barely consent, and we'll protect you.
Feminism is an insane ideology. Absolutely destructive to the family (in both cases). Encourages adultery. Encourages infanticide. Absolves women of the bad they do, while blaming men, regardless of actual guilt.
In a film noir -- back in the patriarchy, we had film noirs -- the man always got punished at the end. He had to pay for his sins. But the artists recognized that a woman could seduce him and cause him to stray from what is right.
This story is a classic film noir. If I was writing it, I would call it Jailbait. I think the 1940's had a way better grasp of human sexuality than we do today.
The 21st century is more castrate your kids and take drugs to give yourself an erection because your weight-loss drug killed your sex drive and I don't know what a woman is, anyway.
Post a Comment
Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.