October 11, 2026

"We’ve got the gulf. We’ve got a beautiful lake... We need a river. We need an ocean. We call it 'Trump Ocean' or, or, 'Ocean of the Americas.'"

"Something like that. Before I get out, I think we should have an ocean. And we need a great river."

Said You Know Who, quoted in "Trump suggests ‘Ocean of Americas’ as new name for Atlantic or Pacific/The president also floated the idea of naming an ocean after himself" (WaPo).

I see the use of "float" to humorously carry the water theme, but is there a verb for "suggests" that could also be about water?

Now, I think the President is just toying with us. One clue is that name "Ocean of the Americas." That's a New York City joke,  isn't it? "Of the Americas" is so awkward, it must be intended as a reference to the long-derided renaming of 6th Avenue as "Avenue of the Americas." WaPo left out the "the" in its headline, but Trump said "Ocean of the Americas." 

17 comments:

rcommal said...

"Trump floats ‘Ocean of Americas’ as new name for Atlantic or Pacific/The president also launched the idea of naming an ocean after himself" (WaPo).

^^^ Althouse: Quick option.

rcommal said...

I think the ideas are stupid, by the way. Leave things as they are, is my stance.

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

Both the Atlantic and the Pacific are pretty big. Either one could be subdivided and then you'd have more names to work with.

Left Bank of the Charles said...

The Gulf of America could be renamed the Sea of Trump.

Lyle Smith said...

Houston has - Avenida de las Américas which runs in front of the downtown convention center. When you are in power... you get to name public spaces.

Indefinitely Extended Excursion™️ said...

Trump is at the lowest approval rating I've ever seen him at:
Approve 37.8%
Disapprove 60.0%
Net ~22.2 points

Real Clear Polling: https://www.realclearpolling.com/polls/approval/donald-trump/approval-rating

Expect more theater of the absurd in the coming days.

Leland said...

I wish people would quit deadnaming the Gulf of America.

rehajm said...

If there’s The Trump Ocean where do the giant letters go?

Rocco said...

The oceans are all interconnected, right? What’s the job of the US Navy?

The ocean off of California is the West American Ocean. The ocean off of NYC is the East American Ocean. Since we now have much more control over Greenland, the Arctic is now the North American Ocean. And RCOcean II is renamed to RCAmerica II.

Michael Fitzgerald said...

I could hear the libtards here gnashing their teeth and tearing their hair and screaming "Dementia!" before I even clicked on the comments. I'm going to enjoy reading these.

RCOCEAN II said...

The English and Irish have a Channel. The japanese have sea, and so do the Chinese. I agree we need one too. Why not take the Carribean? The Sea of the Americas. We could even call it "The south american sea" just to be inclusive.

RCOCEAN II said...

Rocco thanks for the name drop. But I was born an ocean and shall remain one.

Big Mike said...

“Now, I think the President is just toying with us.”

@Althouse, ya think?!?

Achilles said...

"Now, I think the President is just toying with us."

I blame public education.

Freder Frederson said...

"I could hear the libtards here gnashing their teeth and tearing their hair and screaming "Dementia!" before I even clicked on the comments. I'm going to enjoy reading these."

Sorry, this is just too stupid to comment on.

Achilles said...

This is all targeted at the rulers of Europe by the way.

Trump is resetting all of the work that Britain and France did over the last century and a half in the middle east.

I wouldn't be surprised if Persia became Persia again.

Saudi Arabia, Syria, Iraq. Suez Canal. This is all British bullshit that needs to be erased. Most of the countries in the Middle east should be redrawn and allowed to be named by the people that live there.

Kurdistan needs to happen.

Achilles said...

Freder Frederson said...

"I could hear the libtards here gnashing their teeth and tearing their hair and screaming "Dementia!" before I even clicked on the comments. I'm going to enjoy reading these."

Sorry, this is just too stupid to comment on.

Are you serious?

Read your comment again. Think about it. Think really really really hard. Think harder than you have in your entire life. Then read the comment out loud. Think about it again.

I know you are stupid but if you think hard enough you will eventually figure out just how stupid your comment is.

Post a Comment

Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.