You want an October surprise? Padre Jake Cronenworth hit a home run last night against the Brewers. Cronenworth doesn't hit much in any post season series and he sure doesn't hit home runs. Surprise!
Trump called for Iran to nuke San Diego and Los Angeles. Well he didn't, but you wouldn't know that from the media coverage and responses by Newsom.
"Newsom announced that he would direct the State Threat Assessment Center 'to actively monitor the situation in the event that foreign actors interpret the President’s remarks as an invitation to target California.'" https://www.cbsnews.com/losangeles/news/trump-suggests-allowing-iran-take-out-la-and-san-diego-during-campaign-rally/
I remember ask kids my brothers and I were watching an Orioles playoff game and Andy Etcheberron came up to bat, and my dad asked "How is that guy with a stick?" trying to join in with the boys, and my brother said "not great" and then he hit one of his 49 HR in his 15 year career on the next pitch: reverse jinx.
I watched him play in the minors, Dave McNally lived in an apartment adjacent to my back yard and gave us a baseball one time.
Wikipedia:
"Etchebarren was signed by Harry Dalton of the Baltimore Orioles as an amateur free agent in 1961.[8] He was assigned to the Class-C Aberdeen Pheasants in 1961, and then to the Single-A Elmira Pioneers in 1962.[9] Elmira was managed by future Hall of Fame manager Earl Weaver,[10] and Etchebarren's teammates included future Orioles stars Mark Belanger and pitcher Dave McNally."
Paul Blair played there too, but not at the same time. This is why I still root for the Orioles if they show even a tiny spark of life, which is not often.
LOL, it's an early memory, not that early, that I can actually date, because Etchebarren only hit one playoff HR!
"A crucial three-run home run in the 7th inning of Game 4 of the 1973 American League Championship Series (ALCS) off Oakland A's pitcher Vida Blue, helping the Baltimore Orioles win the game 5–4."
That's right, there were men on base, which is why my dad asked that question.
My dog, diagnosed with lymphoma in early March, has finally reached her end. Today is the day. We only made her go through one really bad day - yesterday - and that only because she's recently had an infection that was being cleared by antibiotics, and we weren't sure if what we were seeing was antibiotic-related or just her decline. It was the decline.
Jamie, well I remember such a day in 2015, last day of our beloved yellow lab's life. It's a tough one. I'm sorry. Yesterday we all got the surprise of our lives when our daughter in law delivered a baby girl! With three brothers, we were joyfully resigned to the wolf pack. I got the text from my son while I was picking up my grandsons from school. The 3 year old, when I announced he had a sister: "Noooo! Boy!" He kept saying it, I suppose, believing he could change the outcome. The 5 y.o. is excited about Sis. Both of my kids are kind of old school and don't find out the sex before birth. Let me just say the excitement is sooo much more attenuated...especially the girl thing. We were simply gobsmacked. I'm off to buy something frilly!
The 6+ acre lot across from my cul-de-sac is being cleared to build 11 McMansions. Yesterday and today is filled with brrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaapp! thunk, brap, brap as the trees are killed. We have lived here since 1992 and will miss the trees. And the buffer from the winter storms. So much 'progress'.
…the dead hooker stories are all on the left’s side this go round, it could also be msm finally realizes they no longer control the narratives- Ha, who am I kidding…I don’t see much panic on either side, only claims the other side is panicking. Bell cow Ohio showing early voting numbers are awful for the communists but who knows. I’m grateful we’re not hanging on every ah, udderance on rcp and Nate. Kinda nice…
There is going to be a significant disaster (of some sort, natural, biologic, man-made, or terrorist) in CA between now and 12-31-26, that kills at least 200 people. Do not ask me for more details (hope I am wrong). Oh and the incompetence of CA government in responding to it will not make any difference in future elections since CA's political system is completely corrupt.
Houston Astros made the playoffs as a .500 team, a first for any team in a full 162 game season. They made it after being 11 games under .500 on May 20th.
The IRGC is running out of time to surprise us. I bet that for the first time, an attack on the U.S. would not unite us. I think the mental health epidemic is that bad.
Breezy--congrats on the check. I'm still waiting for the $2500 that Obama promised me.
Also those European Parliament people are "so brave." If there's one thing Trump doesn't give a shit about, it's the "European Parliament." And neither do I.
Ah, Jamie..... I'm very sorry to hear this news, but you have been blessed with good fortune that your beloved critter has done so well for so long, and you are also blessed with the good heart to be such a devoted owner. R.I.P and I hope your dog has a gentle passing.
Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.
I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Encourage Althouse by making a donation:
Make a 1-time donation or set up a monthly donation of any amount you choose:
36 comments:
You want an October surprise? Padre Jake Cronenworth hit a home run last night against the Brewers. Cronenworth doesn't hit much in any post season series and he sure doesn't hit home runs. Surprise!
This year the surprise is going to come after the election.
"It's October."...as it should be.
BONERS!!!!
Surprised?
Trump called for Iran to nuke San Diego and Los Angeles.
Well he didn't, but you wouldn't know that from the media coverage and responses by Newsom.
"Newsom announced that he would direct the State Threat Assessment Center 'to actively monitor the situation in the event that foreign actors interpret the President’s remarks as an invitation to target California.'"
https://www.cbsnews.com/losangeles/news/trump-suggests-allowing-iran-take-out-la-and-san-diego-during-campaign-rally/
"______"
I remember ask kids my brothers and I were watching an Orioles playoff game and Andy Etcheberron came up to bat, and my dad asked "How is that guy with a stick?" trying to join in with the boys, and my brother said "not great" and then he hit one of his 49 HR in his 15 year career on the next pitch: reverse jinx.
I watched him play in the minors, Dave McNally lived in an apartment adjacent to my back yard and gave us a baseball one time.
Wikipedia:
"Etchebarren was signed by Harry Dalton of the Baltimore Orioles as an amateur free agent in 1961.[8] He was assigned to the Class-C Aberdeen Pheasants in 1961, and then to the Single-A Elmira Pioneers in 1962.[9] Elmira was managed by future Hall of Fame manager Earl Weaver,[10] and Etchebarren's teammates included future Orioles stars Mark Belanger and pitcher Dave McNally."
Paul Blair played there too, but not at the same time. This is why I still root for the Orioles if they show even a tiny spark of life, which is not often.
LOL, it's an early memory, not that early, that I can actually date, because Etchebarren only hit one playoff HR!
"A crucial three-run home run in the 7th inning of Game 4 of the 1973 American League Championship Series (ALCS) off Oakland A's pitcher Vida Blue, helping the Baltimore Orioles win the game 5–4."
That's right, there were men on base, which is why my dad asked that question.
My dog, diagnosed with lymphoma in early March, has finally reached her end. Today is the day. We only made her go through one really bad day - yesterday - and that only because she's recently had an infection that was being cleared by antibiotics, and we weren't sure if what we were seeing was antibiotic-related or just her decline. It was the decline.
So no, not exactly a surprise, I suppose
Sad to hear, Jamie.
Jamie, well I remember such a day in 2015, last day of our beloved yellow lab's life. It's a tough one. I'm sorry.
Yesterday we all got the surprise of our lives when our daughter in law delivered a baby girl! With three brothers, we were joyfully resigned to the wolf pack.
I got the text from my son while I was picking up my grandsons from school. The 3 year old, when I announced he had a sister: "Noooo! Boy!" He kept saying it, I suppose, believing he could change the outcome. The 5 y.o. is excited about Sis.
Both of my kids are kind of old school and don't find out the sex before birth. Let me just say the excitement is sooo much more attenuated...especially the girl thing. We were simply gobsmacked. I'm off to buy something frilly!
White Sox make it to the ALCS
"Surprise me."
You overslept. It's November.
Congratulations, Caroline!
The 6+ acre lot across from my cul-de-sac is being cleared to build 11 McMansions. Yesterday and today is filled with brrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaapp! thunk, brap, brap as the trees are killed. We have lived here since 1992 and will miss the trees. And the buffer from the winter storms. So much 'progress'.
…the dead hooker stories are all on the left’s side this go round, it could also be msm finally realizes they no longer control the narratives- Ha, who am I kidding…I don’t see much panic on either side, only claims the other side is panicking. Bell cow Ohio showing early voting numbers are awful for the communists but who knows. I’m grateful we’re not hanging on every ah, udderance on rcp and Nate. Kinda nice…
Cubs win! Cubs win!
That would be a shock
I'm not sure how that would work
There is going to be a significant disaster (of some sort, natural, biologic, man-made, or terrorist) in CA between now and 12-31-26, that kills at least 200 people. Do not ask me for more details (hope I am wrong). Oh and the incompetence of CA government in responding to it will not make any difference in future elections since CA's political system is completely corrupt.
So sorry Jamie. This isn't easy.
Congratulations Caroline!! An exciting moment for your family!!
Jamie, God bless
My heart goes out to you and your family
Caroline,
I am so happy for your and your family.
My parents stopped at two because the thought of another little man in the house scared them both.
OK...you're beautiful (regardless of what you look like). And you enrich our lives by doing what you do. And how you do it.
The victim in the Cornel 7 case goes on the internet and says, "I'm a man, baby."
and then she says
"Vote Trump."
AI baby in the uterus says, "Don't kill me. I'm human."
Surprise! Im gifting you an eight month old Papillon named Apple. She’ll arrive next week when my son visits his daughter in Madison.
Never mind, my wife says no.
$500 check from Trump in the mail today…. The healthcare.gov overcharge one….
Also wasn’t anticipating this….
https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2026/10/07/grotesque-golden-trump-statue-installed-in-european-parliament/
Houston Astros made the playoffs as a .500 team, a first for any team in a full 162 game season. They made it after being 11 games under .500 on May 20th.
I was surprised.
Boo!
The IRGC is running out of time to surprise us.
I bet that for the first time, an attack on the U.S. would not unite us. I think the mental health epidemic is that bad.
IRGC and Democrats use the exact same talking points.
Clues.
Aw hell, Jamie. Condolences.
Breezy--congrats on the check. I'm still waiting for the $2500 that Obama promised me.
Also those European Parliament people are "so brave." If there's one thing Trump doesn't give a shit about, it's the "European Parliament." And neither do I.
Ah, Jamie..... I'm very sorry to hear this news, but you have been blessed with good fortune that your beloved critter has done so well for so long, and you are also blessed with the good heart to be such a devoted owner. R.I.P and I hope your dog has a gentle passing.
It's October? Watch Return of the Living Dead. James Karen's best work.
Post a Comment
Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.