October 6, 2026

"I have learned how vicious the pig really is, and our comrades are teaching me to attack with even greater vicious­ness."

Said Patty Hearst — in her "Tania" incarnation — quoted in "One of Patty Hearst’s Kidnappers Has Died/Bill Harris was a disillusioned Vietnam veteran looking for purpose when he joined a revolutionary group known as the Symbionese Liberation Army."

In 2024, Harris reflected on what had happened in 1973: "There were many factors that influenced Patty’s decision to stay and fight. What we didn’t know when we kidnapped her was that she had rejected her mother, a gold digger and right-wing ideologue."

19 comments:

James said...

There's a great Camper Van Beethoven song about "Tania". The beloved revolutionary sweetheart.

RCOCEAN II said...

Gosh, he was just a mixed-up Vet looking for a life of meaning. Y'know like Adolph Hitler.

Jimmy said...

Fruity Rudys juice stand on Telegraph AVe, at Sather Gate employed, or hid, several members of the SLA.I was a student there at that time. I stopped there a lot in those days, and managed to remain blissfully ignorant of the group and what they did. briefly dated a women who worked there, but she wasn't in the group
Shorty after a bunch of SLA members burned up in a house in LA, a few friends and I got to chat with the FBI about our contacts etc.
Ah, history before social media. much nicer, safer, and fun way to live than now.

n.n said...

Right-wing? Libertarian. Far-right is anarchist is leftist.

n.n said...

Gold digger? Redistributive change schemes.

Did she consider entertaining abortive ideation, performing a human rite... planned parent... hood to relieve her "burden" of state and mind? An ethical Choice.

Lazarus said...

If it's not about dad, it's about mom, but it probably had more to do with brainwashing and the abusive, rapey environment inside of the SLA.

Lazarus said...

The 70s were when the California dream started to go rotten -- wildfires, mudslides, oil slicks, Zodiac, SLA, Jim Jones -- but it wasn't clear to everyone for another 20 (or 40) years. Watts and Manson were harbingers.

Josephbleau said...

It’s impossible for a woman to give consent when kidnapped and brainwashed.

Wince said...

“My name is Tania.”

https://www.getyarn.io/yarn-clip/26d90508-b3a7-4205-a586-8aaf0a6fc414

Blair said...

Jackie is a punk
Judy is a runt
They both went down to Frisco
Joined the SLA
And oh, I don't know why
Oh, I don't know why
Perhaps they'll die, oh yeah
Perhaps they'll die, oh yeah
Perhaps they'll die, oh yeah
Perhaps they'll die, oh yeah

Charlie Currie said...

My home town of Hawthorne, CA has popped into two of today’s readings - Zabriskie Point and now Patty Hearst and the SLA. One of the businesses they raided was the Western Surplus store just around the corner from where I was living and grew up. When they first opened in the early fifties, they gave away army gear to any kid that showed up. I got a pack, a web belt, canteen and cover, ammo pouches, helmet liner and a scabbard (no bayonet). In later years we bought our Levi’s here and even later, navy bell bottoms, chambray shirts and farmer overalls. It always had that old canvas smell.

Blair said...

That reminds me: Patty Hearst did a cameo in the movie Serial Mom, where she plays... a sympathetic juror who lets the titular Kathleen Turner off the hook. I don't think I need to connect the dots with recent events on that one.

In any event, she falls victim to Serial Mom for "wearing white after Labor Day".

Ann Althouse said...

I love “Serialmom. It’s the movie. I watched as a comfort movie the day I totaled my car. There’s an old post about that

David53 said...

I thought she was talking about bacon. Never mind.

Howard said...

The eternal Thompson gunner, still wandering through the night
Now it's ten years later, but he still keeps up the fight
In Ireland, in Lebanon, in Palestine and Berkeley
Patty Hearst heard the burst of Roland's Thompson gun and bought it

Lucien said...

Sorry to hear there was an SLA survivor. Should have burned with the rest.

Ron Winkleheimer said...

Yay, fellow Serial Mom fans.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esBgC_lzKBQ

William said...

Patty Hearst was kidnapped, beaten, held in a dark closet for a protracted length of time, and sporadically raped. This man went through his life without any guilt or even awareness of the monstrous crimes he committed. The obit says he served four years in prison, then got out, remarried and led an apparently pleasant life.

MadTownGuy said...

Quoting Batman (Adam West): "Poor deluded girl."

Post a Comment

Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.