October 7, 2026

"God damn it Merrill."

12 comments:

Mr. D said...

Hilarious moment. At least he didn't go Ron Burgundy on the deal.

James K said...

The playoffs have been fantastic. Almost every game (except for the Boston-NY series) close and low-scoring, tense till the last out. And I don't even have a dog in the fight, other than rooting against the Dodgers and for the small market teams.

Kevin said...

"Now who can argue with that? I think we're all indebted to Pat Murphy for clearly stating what needed to be said... Not only was it authentic baseball gibberish, it expressed a courage little seen in this day and age." — Olson Johnson

paminwi said...

Get the damn commentators out of the dugout during the game. I hate it. I have to believe the teams hate it too.

Meade said...

Oh my gosh! If the Freedom From Religion people were really true to the principles they claim to have, they would object to the insertion of “GOD” in baseball curses.

Ann Althouse said...

"Get the damn commentators out of the dugout during the game...."

I agree but Murphy is adding a lot of entertainment value. He plays the role perfectly.

Original Mike said...

I wasn't sure I heard that correctly in real-time. I rewound and played it again. 'Yep, he said it'.

James K said...

"Get the damn commentators out of the dugout during the game...."

At lease they're not putting mics on the players during the game. They do that for the All-Star game, conversing with the players between pitches, and making a mockery of the one All-Star game in all of professional sports that the players take seriously.

RCOCEAN II said...

There is no swearing in baseball. Tommy Lasorda used all the bad words up.

I wouldn't be shocked at "Goddamn it". If he'd Said "Goddamn it Merrill, you stupid cunt". Then I'd be shocked.

RCOCEAN II said...

For some reasons the oddballs who run the sports TV networks always try to Jazz everything up. We just cant watch the game with a pair of good announcers. Nope, we need sideline reporters, and chicks in bikinis doing cartwheels, and non-stop yapping. And stupid questions as the coachs run off the field:

Coach, you're down 33-0 at halftime, whats your comeback plan?

Baseball seems a little better. Golf has gotten worse. US Tennis - ever since the obnoxious motormouth Bud Collins - has always been awful. I usually watch Basketball with the sound off.

James K said...

"For some reasons the oddballs who run the sports TV networks always try to Jazz everything up."

They're following the lead of the teams' management, who have ruined the games with all sorts of audio-visual "entertainment," supposedly to expand the fan base.

I think tennis is relatively okay. The former top players (Navratilova, McEnroe, et al) can be quite good as commentators, and the sport itself requires a certain level of dignity, at least while the match is going on. I also like the fact that players are required by their associations to speak English. A remarkable number of baseball players go around with interpreters.

RCOCEAN II said...

McEnroe and Martina are good Tennis analysts. I believe both have worked for UK TV.

The problem is the US networks want someone talking almost every fucking second of the tennis match. And of course, they have to cut to the crowd every 5 seconds, to see the players friend, girlfriend, mom, boyfriend, etc. "Look concerned" or so we can see some useless celebriety. "Oh look, there's George Clooney".

Post a Comment

Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.