I was filing out a probate form and there was a line for the deceased’s preferred pronouns. You know, they/them, he, him.
WTF!
Why would the Bar do that? Probably per the Bar’s inclusion policy.
But what good or value is imparted by doing this?
Three things going on here: 1. People want to advertise their mental illness; even in death. 2. Everything is political; even probate. Another way to say: I died a liberal. 3. The vast majority of lawyers - even in NE - are libs.
"Two men were arrested in Yucca Valley in connection with an investigation into a commercial train heist near Amboy.
On Friday, at approximately 9:45 p.m., San Bernardino County Sheriff’s deputies received a report from BNSF Railway investigators of a train burglary near Amboy. Deputies say the robbery was estimated to involve between 15 and 20 vehicles, some of which were white box trucks, containing roughly $50,000 in Ariat boots and DeWalt construction equipment.
According to the Sheriff’s deputies, roughly an hour later, near 10:40 p.m., an off-duty deputy from the Morongo Basin Station noticed a white box truck driving westbound on Twentynine Palms that matched the description of the stolen cargo provided by BNSF investigators. The Sheriff’s Department said that the deputy notified law enforcement, and an on-duty officer located the suspected box truck near the intersection of Twentynine Palms Highway and Cholla Avenue in Yucca Valley.
Deputies say that they conducted a traffic stop and detained one occupant while two others fled from the vehicle. Law enforcement reports that Sheriff’s deputies pursued the fleeing suspects with the assistance of an aviation unit, which located one suspect hiding in a bush. Deputies took Eddiel Burgos, 30, and Pastor Pena Lerma, 43, both of Sinaloa, Mexico, into custody.
Eddiel Burgos and Pastor Pena Lerma were arrested for an investigation into commercial burglary and grand theft of cargo exceeding $950. Both have since been released on bail."
I ask the Wife at dinner if she recalled watching RFK jr’s speech last week. I remembered her talking over it at the time.
NOPE., So she said let’s put it on. Found it here and we re- watched.
Once more Bobby was near perfect. There is literally nothing more that he could do to add to it. The Wife agreed, being 100% Irish herself she understood great communication.
Deputies took Eddiel Burgos, 30, and Pastor Pena Lerma, 43, both of Sinaloa, Mexico, into custody.
Eddiel Burgos and Pastor Pena Lerma were arrested for an investigation into commercial burglary and grand theft of cargo exceeding $950. Both have since been released on bail."
IEE, why are you talking smack about Anthropic? These are your people. They want to use the federal government to get control of AI to keep down their competitors. You know effective altruism and all that... The US is poised to run the table on AI provided we keep the likes of these wanna be oligopolists in check.
I was watching the movie 'Pleasantville' (1998) recently. I was struck by the opening which shows why so many of the youth are demoralized these days and not having children. It is the result of 40 years of work by the teachers and professors
Opening scenes
"[Montage of teachers talking to David's classes] College Counselor: For those of you going on to college next year, the chance of finding a good job will actually decrease by the time you graduate. The available number of entry-level jobs will drop 31 percent over the next four years. Median income for those jobs will go down as well. Obviously, my friends, it's a competitive world, and good grades are your only ticket through. In fact, by the year 2000... Health Teacher: The chance of contracting HIV from a non-monogamous lifestyle will climb to 1 in 150. The odds of dying in an auto accident are only 1 in twenty-five hundred. Now, this marks a drastic increase... Science Teacher: ...from fourteen years ago, when ozone depletion was just at 10 percent of its current level. By the time you are thirty years old, average global temperature will have risen two and a half degrees, causing such catastrophic consequences as typhoons, floods, widespread drought, and famine. [Cut to David absorbing all this grim information and looking really depressed] Science Teacher: [With a bright smile:] Okay! Who can tell me what "famine" is?"
Of course, HIV fell by the wayside but Climate Change rushed to the fore and now we have the AI apocalypse.
Massachusetts is a Communists dream state. First they kill the children, if they can't kill them, they take kids away from their parents to mutilate them and change their gender. Beware of Massachusetts. Pass through at your own risk.
Fox News @FoxNews A Massachusetts family says the state took custody of their teenage daughter after they refused to affirm her as a boy, citing their Catholic faith.
The parents allege a school counselor socially transitioned their daughter without their knowledge, then reported them to the Department of Children and Families.
Now the state has guardianship, and a restraining order prevents the teen's parents and older brother from contacting her.
A judge has temporarily blocked the state from administering high-dose testosterone as the family fights the case. The next court hearing is set for Oct. 29. | https://x.com/FoxNews/status/2099509935277060475?s=20
Fun times for Chicago sports fans. The Cubs Pete Crow-Armstrong hit another homer (42) and stole a base (37) getting closer to the rare 40/40 season. Best player in baseball. NL MVP.
Peachy at 7:42. Man, that Anthropic CEO seems like he's really under stress.
I think both Trump and Gutfield are wrong on this, completely wrong. They are cynical men, and they are missing the very real possibility that these guys are being honest.
The idea that these CEOS are paid operatives for the Democrat party seems ludicrous to me. The idea that China is telling them what to say is idiotic. They know way more about this technology than we do. And what they are saying is, it is outside our control, and there are real dangers here.
The AI stocks that are public now trade on very large multiples. They've been making huge amounts of money. It's possible that AI is going to take over an incredible number of industries. Believe me when I say, possible regulations on AI hurts the stocks. This has how it has always been. No company wants more government oversight.
Company CEOS, across the industry, are calling for international oversight of their industry. This is not normal; it's extraordinary. It is not something you dismiss out of hand.
I want the people who are saying this is a scam to explain why Elon Musk, the world's richest man, who volunteered to help out the Trump administration, is saying this...
@Saint Croix, I stand with Michael Burry, the polymath investor played by Christian Bale in “The Big Short.”
“Burry said AI juggernauts’s calls to hit the brakes were “cover for real uncontrollable slowing growth” as AI labs struggle to maintain the stratospheric growth they experienced earlier in the AI boom. A cooling period would help ‘as IPOs look to be pushed out,’ Burry noted.
He also panned the negative drumbeat coming from AI leaders as regulatory capture – where the leaders in a space use regulations and slowdowns to thwart up and coming competition. He framed the calls for a slowdown as a marketing ploy ahead of massive IPOs for the AI giants.”
The threat from potential upstarts is real. Just ask Mapquest how well it handled the threat from Google Maps, or how MySpace succeeded against Facebook. Does anyone besides me (and Marc Andreessen) remember Mosaic? I don’t recall an SMS product before Twitter, but that might be the only tech company that pioneered an area and that did not wind up “face down in the dirt with arrows in its back.”
Most companies go through a period of high scrutiny from new regulatory agencies before they manage regulatory capture — skipping that step and going straight to capture must seem attractive.
To Trump I would say, we need international regulations, not a "nuclear freeze" only on our side. You ought to be negotiating with China now, while we are stronger in this arms race.
Big Mike, you are talking about economics and I am talking about national security. Not everything could or should be reduced to money.
Elon Musk has already been through his IPO. I do not believe he is trying to scam the markets or stop innovation. The historical examples you cite for "regulatory capture" do not match up with the alarm bells that are going through the industry as AI gets smarter, and smarter, and smarter. I do not recall Mapquest or Twitter saying "humanity might die, there is a 10% chance."
Michael Burry is a very smart man who knows very little about artificial intelligence. So how accurate is his assessment of the risks? It's like when Michael Jordan thought he would be good at baseball.
Actually, the thing that brought me here was a juxtaposition of the summer just passed being labeled “the hottest summer on record” and the observed fact that the 2926 hurricane season (which I get still — technically! — has 10 or 11 weeks to run) has recorded precisely ZERO hurricanes in the Atlantic. That is zero, as in 0 point 000. There have been five tropical storms but none made it up to hurricane-force winds.
So much for the AGW crowd trying to convince us that warming temperatures would inevitably mean more — and more violent — hurricanes. Just junk people who turned into junk “scientists” doing junk science making predictions that never happen, and tbeir gullible followers.
So let's say the West regulates AI, but China or Russia don't (or more likely, purposely pretend to but don't). What good will all the regulation have done then? We still die but then China or Russia control everything and own everything.
Sorry, that's a ridiculous strategy. I'd rather take my chances with us being the more advanced country and finding a way to still control the AI.
Anyway, despite my Republican Party registration I am not totally heartless, but I had a lengthy office visit with my cardiologist to go over my heart monitor and echocardiogram results, and I learned that the heart I do have is screwed up. Not clear how long i’ve got, but my incentive to be as nice to people as I usually am just dropped off the edge of the table.
Could the quest for regulation simply be a hedge against liability when something AI-produced goes wrong? The regulations across the board would stymie those who wouldn’t consider self-regulating.
Does the word-puking Bich puppet not understand this ruling? The court did not opine on the merit and only agreed to consider the various lower court decisions after the new term starts in November.
Big Mike said... Anyway, despite my Republican Party registration I am not totally heartless, but I had a lengthy office visit with my cardiologist to go over my heart monitor and echocardiogram results, and I learned that the heart I do have is screwed up. Not clear how long i’ve got, but my incentive to be as nice to people as I usually am just dropped off the edge of the table.
Yeah. Same same. I've dropped my amateur asshole status and have gone pro.
‘I want the people who are saying this is a scam to explain why Elon Musk, the world's richest man, who volunteered to help out the Trump administration, is saying this’
…because entrepreneurs who think bigly aren’t afraid to think big ideas that…sometimes fail bigly. It doesn’t take much to see danger in this- we’ve all seen the prototype robot from Robocop…just also consider Musk thinks humans are capable of living on Mars, ffs…
Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.
I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Encourage Althouse by making a donation:
Make a 1-time donation or set up a monthly donation of any amount you choose:
39 comments:
7–2. Wow. Apparently the administration’s attempt to impose new federal requirements on state-run mail voting didn’t impress the Court.
Note to Justices Alito and Thomas: states administer elections— not the White House. A little homework on federalism might be in order.
This is one of the best The Five. Gutfeld at the end, nails it.
I couldn’t believe it when I saw it.
I was filing out a probate form and there was a line for the deceased’s preferred pronouns. You know, they/them, he, him.
WTF!
Why would the Bar do that? Probably per the Bar’s inclusion policy.
But what good or value is imparted by doing this?
Three things going on here:
1. People want to advertise their mental illness; even in death.
2. Everything is political; even probate. Another way to say: I died a liberal.
3. The vast majority of lawyers - even in NE - are libs.
I’m thinking add another line: I hated Trump!
Wall Street Confronts Prospect of a New Era After Treasury Yield Hits 5% ~ WSJ
Interesting to see how Scott "I am the house" Bessent reacts to this..
"The only control or “guardrails” that AI needs is a STRONG AND SMART (High IQ!) PRESIDENT, and the U.S.A. has that, in spades!" ~ Donald Trump
Totally normal... I'd be pricing that risk a lot higher...
Two men arrested in Yucca Valley for investigation into Amboy (California) commercial train heist
September 9, 2026
"Two men were arrested in Yucca Valley in connection with an investigation into a commercial train heist near Amboy.
On Friday, at approximately 9:45 p.m., San Bernardino County Sheriff’s deputies received a report from BNSF Railway investigators of a train burglary near Amboy. Deputies say the robbery was estimated to involve between 15 and 20 vehicles, some of which were white box trucks, containing roughly $50,000 in Ariat boots and DeWalt construction equipment.
According to the Sheriff’s deputies, roughly an hour later, near 10:40 p.m., an off-duty deputy from the Morongo Basin Station noticed a white box truck driving westbound on Twentynine Palms that matched the description of the stolen cargo provided by BNSF investigators. The Sheriff’s Department said that the deputy notified law enforcement, and an on-duty officer located the suspected box truck near the intersection of Twentynine Palms Highway and Cholla Avenue in Yucca Valley.
Deputies say that they conducted a traffic stop and detained one occupant while two others fled from the vehicle. Law enforcement reports that Sheriff’s deputies pursued the fleeing suspects with the assistance of an aviation unit, which located one suspect hiding in a bush. Deputies took Eddiel Burgos, 30, and Pastor Pena Lerma, 43, both of Sinaloa, Mexico, into custody.
Eddiel Burgos and Pastor Pena Lerma were arrested for an investigation into commercial burglary and grand theft of cargo exceeding $950. Both have since been released on bail."
https://x.com/kevinnbass/status/2099621874279817638?s=46
Dave. - why do you care so much? The person is dead. Give him/her/they/x some slack.
I ask the Wife at dinner if she recalled watching RFK jr’s speech last week. I remembered her talking over it at the time.
NOPE., So she said let’s put it on. Found it here and we re- watched.
Once more Bobby was near perfect. There is literally nothing more that he could do to add to it. The Wife agreed, being 100% Irish herself she understood great communication.
Deputies took Eddiel Burgos, 30, and Pastor Pena Lerma, 43, both of Sinaloa, Mexico, into custody.
Eddiel Burgos and Pastor Pena Lerma were arrested for an investigation into commercial burglary and grand theft of cargo exceeding $950. Both have since been released on bail."
lol. They def gonna show up for court...
Here’s the big caveat to the report that Anthropic is profitable for a second straight quarter ~ MarketWatch
'𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘮𝘦𝘢𝘴𝘶𝘳𝘦 𝘴𝘵𝘳𝘪𝘱𝘴 𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘤𝘰𝘴𝘵𝘴 𝘪𝘯𝘤𝘭𝘶𝘥𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘴𝘵𝘰𝘤𝘬-𝘣𝘢𝘴𝘦𝘥 𝘤𝘰𝘮𝘱𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘢𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯.
𝘈𝘯𝘵𝘩𝘳𝘰𝘱𝘪𝘤’𝘴 𝘨𝘳𝘰𝘴𝘴 𝘮𝘢𝘳𝘨𝘪𝘯𝘴 𝘢𝘳𝘦 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘷𝘦 80 𝘱𝘦𝘳 𝘤𝘦𝘯𝘵 𝘣𝘦𝘧𝘰𝘳𝘦 𝘢𝘤𝘤𝘰𝘶𝘯𝘵𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘳𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘯𝘶𝘦 𝘴𝘩𝘢𝘳𝘦𝘥 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘥𝘪𝘴𝘵𝘳𝘪𝘣𝘶𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯 𝘱𝘢𝘳𝘵𝘯𝘦𝘳𝘴, 𝘪𝘯𝘤𝘭𝘶𝘥𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘈𝘮𝘢𝘻𝘰𝘯, 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘤𝘰𝘴𝘵 𝘰𝘧 𝘵𝘳𝘢𝘪𝘯𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘪𝘵𝘴 𝘮𝘰𝘥𝘦𝘭𝘴, 𝘢𝘤𝘤𝘰𝘳𝘥𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘵𝘰 𝘵𝘸𝘰 𝘰𝘧 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘱𝘦𝘰𝘱𝘭𝘦.'
Breaking news: Loss making company profitable if all costs excluded.
IEE, why are you talking smack about Anthropic? These are your people. They want to use the federal government to get control of AI to keep down their competitors. You know effective altruism and all that... The US is poised to run the table on AI provided we keep the likes of these wanna be oligopolists in check.
I was watching the movie 'Pleasantville' (1998) recently. I was struck by the opening which shows why so many of the youth are demoralized these days and not having children. It is the result of 40 years of work by the teachers and professors
Opening scenes
"[Montage of teachers talking to David's classes]
College Counselor: For those of you going on to college next year, the chance of finding a good job will actually decrease by the time you graduate. The available number of entry-level jobs will drop 31 percent over the next four years. Median income for those jobs will go down as well. Obviously, my friends, it's a competitive world, and good grades are your only ticket through. In fact, by the year 2000...
Health Teacher: The chance of contracting HIV from a non-monogamous lifestyle will climb to 1 in 150. The odds of dying in an auto accident are only 1 in twenty-five hundred. Now, this marks a drastic increase...
Science Teacher: ...from fourteen years ago, when ozone depletion was just at 10 percent of its current level. By the time you are thirty years old, average global temperature will have risen two and a half degrees, causing such catastrophic consequences as typhoons, floods, widespread drought, and famine.
[Cut to David absorbing all this grim information and looking really depressed]
Science Teacher: [With a bright smile:] Okay! Who can tell me what "famine" is?"
Of course, HIV fell by the wayside but Climate Change rushed to the fore and now we have the AI apocalypse.
Massachusetts is a Communists dream state. First they kill the children, if they can't kill them, they take kids away from their parents to mutilate them and change their gender. Beware of Massachusetts. Pass through at your own risk.
Fox News
@FoxNews
A Massachusetts family says the state took custody of their teenage daughter after they refused to affirm her as a boy, citing their Catholic faith.
The parents allege a school counselor socially transitioned their daughter without their knowledge, then reported them to the Department of Children and Families.
Now the state has guardianship, and a restraining order prevents the teen's parents and older brother from contacting her.
A judge has temporarily blocked the state from administering high-dose testosterone as the family fights the case. The next court hearing is set for Oct. 29. |
https://x.com/FoxNews/status/2099509935277060475?s=20
Fun times for Chicago sports fans. The Cubs Pete Crow-Armstrong hit another homer (42) and stole a base (37) getting closer to the rare 40/40 season. Best player in baseball. NL MVP.
Caleb Williams is the best QB in the NFL. MVP.
Peachy at 7:42. Man, that Anthropic CEO seems like he's really under stress.
I think both Trump and Gutfield are wrong on this, completely wrong. They are cynical men, and they are missing the very real possibility that these guys are being honest.
The idea that these CEOS are paid operatives for the Democrat party seems ludicrous to me. The idea that China is telling them what to say is idiotic. They know way more about this technology than we do. And what they are saying is, it is outside our control, and there are real dangers here.
The AI stocks that are public now trade on very large multiples. They've been making huge amounts of money. It's possible that AI is going to take over an incredible number of industries. Believe me when I say, possible regulations on AI hurts the stocks. This has how it has always been. No company wants more government oversight.
Company CEOS, across the industry, are calling for international oversight of their industry. This is not normal; it's extraordinary. It is not something you dismiss out of hand.
Trump says it's a hoax. Why, for fuck's sake?
I want the people who are saying this is a scam to explain why Elon Musk, the world's richest man, who volunteered to help out the Trump administration, is saying this...
Mark my words, AI is far more dangerous than nukes.
This is a 70-30 issue and Trump is in the 30. Stupid politics.
@Saint Croix, I stand with Michael Burry, the polymath investor played by Christian Bale in “The Big Short.”
“Burry said AI juggernauts’s calls to hit the brakes were “cover for real uncontrollable slowing growth” as AI labs struggle to maintain the stratospheric growth they experienced earlier in the AI boom. A cooling period would help ‘as IPOs look to be pushed out,’ Burry noted.
He also panned the negative drumbeat coming from AI leaders as regulatory capture – where the leaders in a space use regulations and slowdowns to thwart up and coming competition. He framed the calls for a slowdown as a marketing ploy ahead of massive IPOs for the AI giants.”
The threat from potential upstarts is real. Just ask Mapquest how well it handled the threat from Google Maps, or how MySpace succeeded against Facebook. Does anyone besides me (and Marc Andreessen) remember Mosaic? I don’t recall an SMS product before Twitter, but that might be the only tech company that pioneered an area and that did not wind up “face down in the dirt with arrows in its back.”
Most companies go through a period of high scrutiny from new regulatory agencies before they manage regulatory capture — skipping that step and going straight to capture must seem attractive.
To Trump I would say, we need international regulations, not a "nuclear freeze" only on our side. You ought to be negotiating with China now, while we are stronger in this arms race.
Big Mike, you are talking about economics and I am talking about national security. Not everything could or should be reduced to money.
Elon Musk has already been through his IPO. I do not believe he is trying to scam the markets or stop innovation. The historical examples you cite for "regulatory capture" do not match up with the alarm bells that are going through the industry as AI gets smarter, and smarter, and smarter. I do not recall Mapquest or Twitter saying "humanity might die, there is a 10% chance."
Michael Burry is a very smart man who knows very little about artificial intelligence. So how accurate is his assessment of the risks? It's like when Michael Jordan thought he would be good at baseball.
Actually, the thing that brought me here was a juxtaposition of the summer just passed being labeled “the hottest summer on record” and the observed fact that the 2926 hurricane season (which I get still — technically! — has 10 or 11 weeks to run) has recorded precisely ZERO hurricanes in the Atlantic. That is zero, as in 0 point 000. There have been five tropical storms but none made it up to hurricane-force winds.
So much for the AGW crowd trying to convince us that warming temperatures would inevitably mean more — and more violent — hurricanes. Just junk people who turned into junk “scientists” doing junk science making predictions that never happen, and tbeir gullible followers.
So let's say the West regulates AI, but China or Russia don't (or more likely, purposely pretend to but don't). What good will all the regulation have done then? We still die but then China or Russia control everything and own everything.
Sorry, that's a ridiculous strategy. I'd rather take my chances with us being the more advanced country and finding a way to still control the AI.
@Saint Croix, Burry —and I — are explaining the economic incentives to spread bullshit.
And if you think anything pushed by Bernie Sanders will result in anything good for the US, well …
Anyway, despite my Republican Party registration I am not totally heartless, but I had a lengthy office visit with my cardiologist to go over my heart monitor and echocardiogram results, and I learned that the heart I do have is screwed up. Not clear how long i’ve got, but my incentive to be as nice to people as I usually am just dropped off the edge of the table.
International institutions likeippcc iaea who those institutions
Forest:
“The why do you care so much” argument is constantly used by the Left in the HS sports issue.
It’s only a few kids, they say.
My finding is a small one. But just another example of how unhinged the Left is.
Big Mike, sorry about your health issues, God bless.
Could the quest for regulation simply be a hedge against liability when something AI-produced goes wrong? The regulations across the board would stymie those who wouldn’t consider self-regulating.
I am not at all happy to be on Team Bernie, but at least I do not have Xi on my side.
Except amodei is already cyberdyne altman is daystrom
Does the word-puking Bich puppet not understand this ruling? The court did not opine on the merit and only agreed to consider the various lower court decisions after the new term starts in November.
Day ending in y
International institutions like ippcc iaea who those institutions
governments are easy to mock because they fuck up so often
I am pro-life and team human
And I pray to God to look after us, we need oversight and guidance
Trump says it's a hoax. Why, for fuck's sake?
Because the CCP is promoting it as dangerous.
Big Mike said...
Anyway, despite my Republican Party registration I am not totally heartless, but I had a lengthy office visit with my cardiologist to go over my heart monitor and echocardiogram results, and I learned that the heart I do have is screwed up. Not clear how long i’ve got, but my incentive to be as nice to people as I usually am just dropped off the edge of the table.
Yeah. Same same. I've dropped my amateur asshole status and have gone pro.
@Rustygrommet, I’ve been a pro since the day I joined the Althouse commentariat over a dozen years ago. I’m making a push for Asshole Hall of Fame.
‘I want the people who are saying this is a scam to explain why Elon Musk, the world's richest man, who volunteered to help out the Trump administration, is saying this’
…because entrepreneurs who think bigly aren’t afraid to think big ideas that…sometimes fail bigly. It doesn’t take much to see danger in this- we’ve all seen the prototype robot from Robocop…just also consider Musk thinks humans are capable of living on Mars, ffs…
Post a Comment
Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.