September 23, 2026

Statues of Chicago.

Photographed by my son Chris:

IMG_5032

IMG_5040

Those are "Bibi on the Ball" and "Brooke with Beach Ball" by Carole Feuerman. I like these a lot! A closer view: here

IMG_5045 (1)

That's "Reclining Liberty" by Zaq Landsberg. Seems to allude to a reclining Buddha

Bonus: a view of Chicago, with the President's imprint.

IMG_5036 (1)

26 comments:

boatbuilder said...

I bet he clashed with the architects on that one as well.

R C Belaire said...

You'd think by now the good people of Chicago would have demanded removal of that name.

Original Mike said...

I used to go to Chicago semi-regularly, but haven't been there in ages. Last time was before Trump Tower was built, because I've never seen that.

Smilin' Jack said...

“ Bonus: a view of Chicago, with the President's imprint.”

I’ve stayed there a couple of times. Last time, Orange Man himself paid a visit between campaign stops in Michigan and Wisconsin. Secret Service was everywhere. They wear Secret Service emblazoned on their vests, which seems like a contradiction in terms.

Original Mike said...

"They wear Secret Service emblazoned on their vests, which seems like a contradiction in terms."

Those are the decoys.

D.D. Driver said...

Those are the decoys.

Apparently somebody hasn't heard of the Double Secret Service.

RCOCEAN II said...

Great photos. Big regret was stopping at Union Station on the way to NYC and not spending a day in Chicago.

RCOCEAN II said...

Chicago - the city of broad shoulders, little brains, and hands always in someone else's pocket.

Lazarus said...

It looks like the first sculpture (and maybe the second) is "quoting" the famous Chicago "bean" sculpture.

Gerda Sprinchorn said...

Finally! Some fun public art.

Eva Marie said...

Agree on Carole Feuerman. I used to follow her on Tiktok.

Disparity of Cult said...

There are still leaves on the trees. Good times. A colleague who grew up in Florida remarked that if a Chicago photo had trees with leaves, it was because somebody glued them on.

The trees in the second photo are one of the thornless varieties of honey locust, Gleditsia triacanthos. Their autumn color is yellow, and they are among the first trees to change color here.

RCOCEAN II said...

In south side of chicago,
Its the badest part of town
And if you go down there you'd better
Just beware of President who's a clown.

He drives a lincoln contienental,
He's got a Netenyahoo too.
He's got 32 nukes in his pocket for fun
and a cruise missile too.

Oh he's bad, bad, Leroy Trump and baddest man
in the whole damn dump.

Josephbleau said...

There is a great deal of ruin left in Chicago.

Dave Begley said...

Chicago has been wrecked by the Dems. Ultra high taxes and way too much crime. The conceit from residents and former residents is that they stay away from the “wrong” parts of town. My response is always that the criminals have cars and can come to the “good” side of town.

The weekly weekend slaughter is unbelievable, but it has been going on for years and it never improves.

If the Mayor cared for his people, he’d let Trump send in the National Guard. Lives would be saved and crime would decline, but that success would make the Dems look bad.

Michael Fitzgerald said...

Embarrassing fatuous crap. A century ago Americans created great public art, built beautiful buildings, had public spaces that were well-kept and safe. What a disgrace our cities have become.

Kai Akker said...

Here is one view from a century ago of the almost the same spot:

https://mlvt8t6sqf9q.i.optimole.com/cb:OMVE.2424f/w:1440/h:1080/q:mauto/f:best/id:bd11187edffd9c990f4c784ce500bcf4/https://huntestatesales.com/IMG_7349.jpg

And the rest of this remarkable line (that failed to sell as well as hoped, and much was broken and tossed): From the Metropolitan Museum of Art:

https://i0.wp.com/drivingfordeco.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/05/Our-America_Rockwell-Kent_Vernon-Kilns.jpg?ssl=1

Kent's 1930 illustrations for a special edition of Moby Dick are often credited with helping the novel get rediscovered.

https://onlineonly.christies.com/s/herman-melville-collection-william-s-reese/illustrations-moby-dick-693/158130

Quayle said...

Our daughter went to school in Chicago from 2004-2007. We really liked visiting her then. We went back for a visit last summer. It was schooling how far the downtown has declined. Garbage everywhere. Drugs just off the Mag Mile. A general sense of disorder. I was really sad. (But I have to admit that Hyde Park looked better than ever. The Presidential Library seemed out of character but I’m not a fan of brutalist architecture. .).

Quayle said...

Our daughter went to school in Chicago from 2004-2007. We really liked visiting her then. We went back for a visit last summer. It was schooling how far the downtown has declined. Garbage everywhere. Drugs just off the Mag Mile. A general sense of disorder. I was really sad. (But I have to admit that Hyde Park looked better than ever. The Presidential Library seemed out of character but I’m not a fan of brutalist architecture. .).

hanuman_prodigious_leaper said...

@Dave Begley said....??

?? Gov. Pritzker can bring in The Guard himself?!
When he loses some poundage his brain may clear up enough to do that for his Presidency Campaign.

Peachy+2 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Peachy+2 said...

Chicago's skyline and architecture & street art. Love it.

Rustygrommet said...

It's a beautiful city. Worldclass. Too bad it's run like a whorehouse.

Wince said...

Chicago's gonna be the witness
To the ultimate test of Pritzker's "fitness"
This grips me more than would a
Muddy old river or reclining Buddha


And thank God I'm only watching the game controlling it
I don't see you guys rating
The kind of mate I'm contemplating
I'd let you watch, I would invite you
But the queens we use would not excite you

So you better go back to your bars, your temples, your massage
parlours

paminwi said...

Late to the game but the Chicago Architecture Tour by boat is really great!

Rustygrommet said...

Whatever you do don't get out of your car on lower Whacker. It's an open sewer.

Post a Comment

Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.