"But in that brief time, it laid down a whole new approach to rock.... Propelled by Cheetah’s hard-charging guitar work and drawing influence from proto-punk bands like the MC5 and the Stooges, Rocket From the Tombs burst onto the Cleveland music scene in late 1974.... The band drew the attention of avant-garde groups charting a similar course in New York City, and in July 1975, it opened at a Cleveland show headlined by one of them, Television. As the urbane New Yorkers saw to their horror, the band members were as chaotic as their music. True to the punk ethos they were pioneering, their copious drinking and drug use fueled fights onstage and off. Cheetah fell on his back during the opening song and played the rest of the set supine. 'A lot of very nasty things got said — everything came to a head that night,' he wrote in the liner notes for a 2002 collection of Rocket From the Tombs songs, 'The Day the Earth Met the Rocket From the Tombs.'"
From "Cheetah Chrome, Guitarist for Pioneering Punk Bands, Dies at 71/He played with Rocket From the Tombs and the Dead Boys, whose snarling nihilism opened the door to an entire music genre in the 1970s" (NYT).

20 comments:
Pioneering Punk Band who drew influence from, and/or opened for, Pioneering Punk Bands MC5, Stooges & Television. Maybe not so pioneering.
Not to be confused with 'Rocket from the Crypt', a 90's band from San Diego, Ca.
Hey, I remember the Dead Boys. "Sonic Reducer" is on the RHINO collection "Blank Generation-The New York Scene (1975-1978). I have it on my shelf.
Poor guy lived to old age. Totally messed with his aesthetic.
A natural death for man, woman, feminist, and child. Mother "Clancy" Nature's Choice. RIP
""Sonic Reducer" is on the RHINO collection "Blank Generation-The New York Scene (1975-1978). "
My band covered Sonic Reducer as recently as last year. Great song.
I guess Fat, drunk, and stupid IS the way to get through life. If you play rock.
Those were the days.
What ever happened to, "Hope I die before I get old"?
RFTT gave us Pere Ubu, which created post-punk music before punk was even really in full force. Ubu influenced Joy Division and a multitude of others. "Final Solution" (not about that) is an amazing single.
Cleveland really did rock and had a "music scene"?
It wasn't just something they made up to get the museum?
I'm familiar with this group only because I'm a huge fan of Television & Tom Verlaine, & knew they once shared a stage.
Precious memories, “remember the day I got so drunk I fell on my back and finished the gig playing on the floor? good times.”
"Dead Boy Dies" would be a better headline.
Maybe "Dead Boy Dead at 71"
He wasn't a cheetah. He was an honest man who played Rock.
IamDevo said...
What ever happened to, "Hope I die before I get old.”
Keith Richards
I'm no expert, but sound unheard I wonder how they compare to Memphis legends Panther Burn.
Its sometimes, not so sad, that pop icons die young. Think of Marilyn Monroe living into the 1980s and talking how she was a victim of "The Patriarchy".
And the dirty truth is that most rock'n roller and jazz greats didn't have much great music in them after 40. Its amazing that Miles Davis lived to 65, but if he'd died at 45 the music world wouldn't have lost much.
Its the same with Bogard. Sad he died at 56, but he was more or less an old man character actor. Had Brando died in 1975, the world wouldn't have lost much.
“Two-eyed Jack said...
Maybe "Dead Boy Dead at 71"
Dead Boy dead at 71, film at 11.
Post a Comment
Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.