September 2, 2026
Recent birds.
Caught by Meade. On Monday, a great blue heron made good use of its long skinny legs:
And some peaceful ducks circled gracefully, while humans had other ideas of how to have fun:
... set loose on a wild, untamed continent
9 comments:
The Turkey Vulture is a young one (hatched this year) based on its gray-black head. Their heads don't turn reddish until their first winter (or so), leading many young Turkey Vultures to be misidentified as out-of-range Black Vultures (in late summer and fall).
My mortal enemy. I bought the plastic coyote recommended here, and I have him on an island in the middle of my pond. Haven't seen a single Pterodactyl since. It still spooks me every morning when I first see it. Must be some natural instinct.
If I were a fish, I'd spend some time learning to identify big ol' heron legs in the water. That's what I'd do.
"I bought the plastic coyote recommended here, and I have him on an island in the middle of my pond. Haven't seen a single Pterodactyl since."
Remember, if that stops working (and I predict it will), there's always the next step.
Turkey vultures: Their stomach acid is up to 100 times more acidic than human stomach acid, which instantly destroys dangerous bacteria and viruses like botulism, anthrax, salmonella, and rabies.
All that blue heron needs is a pair of shorts.
It's not in this video, but that turkey vulture kept trying to fly. He really didn't quite know how to do it yet – kept leaping up and flapping its wings and landing back on the ground.
Another thing we did not catch on video was an osprey a couple days ago. Seemed like a seagull at first, but then he suddenly dropped down in a big arc, grabbed something and lifted right back up. It did not move like a seagull at all. How do I know that was an osprey? ChatGPT!
Lush and green it is...
Post a Comment
Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.