September 2, 2026

"Now I see people now are wearing shorts now with suits, so maybe that's enough to really bring me over to the side [of wearing suits] full time."

Said John Fetterman, wearing a suit for once:
@tmz

John Fetterman did the unthinkable Tuesday on Capitol Hill ... he put on a suit and tie. 🤵👔

♬ original sound - TMZ

29 comments:

rcommal said...

So, why WAS he wearing a suit?

Mike (MJB Wolf) said...

Sure my memory is faulty but I’m certain that I have seen him in a suit before, and thought he was on Capitol Hill.

Wilbur said...

FWIW, he still looked sloppy with his top shirt button unbuttoned. But it's an improvement.
Who's wearing shorts with a suit? That's a new one on me.
BFF AI tells me: Wearing a suit with shorts is a bold, modern warm-weather fashion statement that works best when the shorts are sharply tailored and hit right at or just above the knee.
So it's bold. Got it.

Mike (MJB Wolf) said...

Yeah score one for my 64yo noodle:

According to GQ, “Nov 15, 2022: Wore suit and blue tie for new member orientation at U.S. Capitol.”As noted by Washington Examiner, “He still wears suits to committee meetings when they are required.”

Mike (MJB Wolf) said...

Wilbur gay models and Euroweenies do. Not normal men. Oh and Angus Young could pull it off. Again, not a normal dude.

rcommal said...

Fetterman absolutely has worn suits before. He does so, for example, for the State of the Union and other joint addresses. He also does so for certain committee meetings where there's a dress code, and he has done so for certain floor votes when there was a requirement to do so.

rcommal said...

While I personally dislike short suits (actually, including on women), they're probably better, aesthetically, to me, than sloppy or casual wear.

It pained me to type that.

rehajm said...

…he looks good…now if we can coax him to Moscot to do something about his sunglasses…

rcommal said...

In recent years, I've been to funerals where people were very casual, even sloppy, and there were more bright colors than subdued ones, let alone black. Once that happened for a third time, I decided that the barn door was wide open and the horses long gone.

rehajm said...

…Angus only please…and technically that kit is a school uniform…

rcommal said...

My son is 26. He owns a suit, and, honestly, it's a mission of my mine to make sure he always has a well-fitting one and a sports coat and nice dress slacks. (I tell him that's what he gets for having an older mother.) He tells me that among his friends of his age cohort, he's about the only one who has a sports jacket, let alone a suit. More evidence of barn door and horses.

Son wouldn't be caught dead in a shorts suit (although he wears shorts all of the time). I take comfort in that.

Dave Begley said...

There’s a wedding picture in the OWH of a guy wearing shorts. His wife is wearing a traditional white wedding dress.

rehajm said...

...I’m not a fan of eliminating standards but there’s too many ways to take offense and for me too few days where people bother to show up so I’ve reluctantly, happily lowered the bar…

rcommal said...

"There’s a wedding picture in the OWH of a guy wearing shorts. His wife is wearing a traditional white wedding dress."

Was he wearing socks? What type? What type of shoes? Inquiring minds want to know.

rcommal said...

Lord, this is like picking at a scab. I best stop.

Dave Begley said...

The suit color is a baby blue. No socks. Loafers. Unbuttoned white shirt.

But the wife is beautiful!

rehajm said...

…the weeding parties I see here so far no shorts but there’s been a few…not clam diggers but definitely nowhere near a quarter break, no socks with john lobbs. I suppose every generation has their Canadian tuxedo…take that Carney!

rehajm said...

…wedding please. I keep the typos to annoy the censors but sometimes…

Wilbur said...

OWH?
Arcane acronyms, grrr. AAG.

rehajm said...

…where I officiated last year I was warned by the bride there would be some overalls and worse but everyone stepped up- the youngsters nailed it and for the old guys mostly suits but clean and pressed shirts. The guy tis the costume designer from Broadway, well, you know, 80s club kid but he did change into it for the wedding so I suppose it was special…the women needed no prompting- a plus…

Danno said...

So any of you formality folks prefer Mamdami over Fetterman as Democrats just because of their dressing standard?

tim maguire said...

I've only seen 2 people wear shorts with a suit. Both in the 80's. One was in AC/DC and the other was an MTV host at spring break.

Mike (MJB Wolf) said...

Fun Fact, Angus and Malcolm Young’s older brother George co-wrote the song “Friday on My Mind” and was a member of the band The Easybeats. Their sister made their stage uniforms, including Angus’s iconic schoolboy costume.

rhhardin said...

Wearing a suit interferes with bike riding to work. Bermudas and a golf tee-shirt is the way to go.

rehajm said...

Robert Downey Jr in Weird Science

tim maguire said...

**rcommal said...My son is 26. He owns a suit, and, honestly, it's a mission of my mine to make sure he always has a well-fitting one **

Good for you. If you don't own a proper suit, you're not a man. You're just an over-grown boy. You may not wear it very often, but every now and then it's disrespectful not to.

rehajm said...

…bike riding interferes with me driving to work…

Nebraska Grandma said...

Wilbur - OWH is not archaic, just local. Omaha World-Herald, our local newspaper.

Nebraska Grandma said...

And now I have posted here for the first time after lurking for years.

Post a Comment

Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.