@newspeakmedia Everything I noticed attending New York Fashion Week alone, for strictly anthropological reasons: Newspeak’s Adventures in Late Stage Capitalism Ep. 2
♬ original sound - Newspeak
September 18, 2026
"ironically by dressing down they probably thought you're insanely rich."
A commenter — at TikTok — explains how a guy in a T-shirt, jeans, and Sketchers was able to go undercover, uninvited, to Fashion Week events and even got seated in the middle of the front row.

14 comments:
Wow. Incredible.
"Late stage capitalism."
Nope.
Hunger games - almost there.
Was that really the main event? Small room. It looks like he wasn't the only one in the crowd who dressed casually. I don't think he's exploring the world of the 1%. He's more like a yokel experiencing the expensive life of big city professionals.
If this really is late stage capitalism, what's coming will be worse.
Was that a fashion model or the Poland Springs delivery guy walking down the runway with two gallon jugs of water?
It's a cliche that gay male designers hate women, but looking at the clip you can understand how that meme got started. Let's have some kind of feathered prong sticking out of a model's chest like she was shot or something.
The male model with the two water jugs and the boots wasn't dressed much better than the film maker. Maybe he was making a delivery and was hurried into the show.
His outfit was no less calculated than the weirdos on stage.
I'm trying figure out if the model with what looks like toilet paper stuck to her shoe was accidental or on purpose. Avant garde.
Always thought this commercial was funny.
https://youtu.be/FpypTXccG2I
Definitely a power move.
I do this all the time when I have to go to Scottsdale for something. (Of course, it helps that I'm normally dressed down. And not because I'm insanely rich.)
"Dressing-down (n.) "a reprimand" is by 1839, American English, originally "a thrashing," perhaps ironic or extended from some 19c. mechanical or commercial sense." - eol
Fashion week needed a token straight man
I have worn tech bro fashions to work even in the suit era 20 years ago. If you are good no one says anything. a Marino Wool Tech long sleeve black hiking shirt, jeans, a wide belt, and canvas navy slip on shoes. No problemo.
Post a Comment
Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.