Wrote William Makepeace Thackeray, in the Prefatory Remarks of "The Book of Snobs" (1848).
I got sidetracked this morning into the topic of the history of snobbery. It all started with the idle question: Why does "art" mean painting and sculpture but "arts" means theater and concerts? A language question.
I don't have a tag "snobbery," but I can see there are lots of old posts that could take it.

27 comments:
“It all started with the idle question: Why does "art" mean painting and sculpture but "arts" means theater and concerts?”
I’m old enough to remember when the most common modifier of the word “arts” was the word “liberal.”
But that was another place and another time.
I too have been taken for one. The jury is still out.
I'm a Virginian, and here is my favorite snob quote:
“I love Virginians because Virginians are all snobs, and I like snobs. A snob has to spend so much time being a snob that he has little time left to meddle with you.”
― William Faulkner
Also -- there is a quite nice restaurant here in Charleston, SC called SNOB.
In this case, however, it stand for slightly north of Broad (Street). 😊
I'm old enough to remember when the most common modifier for 'snob' was 'effete.'
In my experience reverse snobbery is more common than snobbery. This is America, after all.
There is a word in the English language that has multiple meanings and one of those has overtaken all others. That word, discriminate, doesn't just mean to make an unjust, prejudicial judgement. It also means to recognize a distinction or a difference.
We used to say someone had discriminating taste, which meant that they had narrowed their taste on something to a singular item or narrow group of items that they held in higher regard than the common goods.
But we all make discriminating choices every day. In what we wear, where we shop, what we eat, how we appear, what we watch. We are all, in essence, snobs of our own making.
"reverse snobbery"
Is that like, looking up your nose at people?
The history of snobbery goes all the way back, back even before the human species evolved.
Pretty much every European language (and non-European languages as well) has adopted the English word "snob" or a variant thereof, a good indication of what they think of the English.
It was believed that "snob" came from "sine nobilitate" (without nobility), but now it seems that it meant cobbler or shoemaker. The word was used to designate poor buggers, then it became associated with social climbers, and now it's directed against the rich and illustrious themselves. In those higher circles, though, a "snob" may still be someone trying to break in, rather than those already inside the charmed circle.
"Vanity FaIr" is one of the best books ever written, fyi. It is full of hilarious incidences of snobbery. In fact the whole book is a study in how upper class snobs treat an upstart.
Althouse said...
"Why does "art" mean painting and sculpture but "arts" means theater and concerts? A language question."
Also a constitutional question: "Arts" refers to inventions under patents, and "Science" refers to writings under copyrights.
To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries.
Don’t forget the art of the deal.
I was told, back when I was a theater arts major, that theater arts is plural because it encompasses so many individual arts. Writing, sculpting, music, painting, dancing, acting, singing, set design, costume design, lighting design, sound design, ect, ect.
As to why some people define "art" as only being painting and sculpture...Maybe they're just art snobs.
I always thought it was amusing that universities usually have a subdivision called the College of Arts and Sciences. Seems to me that should cover everything. What is there that’s interesting that isn’t either an art or a science?
can vouch for SNOB when hungry in old Charleston. Nice place, good food.
Wherefore art thou, Art?
Don't be artful, Art.
Tell us the truth.
In America, snobbery is most often expressed toward the arts, especially movies and TV. Its quite amusing how fans of "The Wire" "Hamilton" or "citizen kane' look down on those who "dont get it".
Im on a big Star trek kick, watching the old shows. Its amazing how many DS9 snobs think themselves superior to TNG or TOS fans. Why DS9 is "dark and gritty". It shows life the way it really is. Unlike "childish" TNG or TOS.
Snobbery even in Star trek. Of course real snobs wouldnt be caught dead watching any star trek.
I believe that arts are activities and art is a commodity.
My sister is not only a wine snob but a coffee snob. She lived many years in Seattle, where both these snobberies flourish.
I am constrained to cite the more recent exposition on the subject: Joseph Epstein's Snobbery: the American Version
@Rich--
Good one. I loved Joe Epstein's essays in American Scholar. This book pairs well with Fussell's "Class" I would think.
"Arts" - short for performing arts? Although usually preceded with "The".
It sounds like William Makepeace Thackeray might be a snob snob.
I have a friend who is color blind; I don’t ask him to help me pick out a tie.
I’m guessing that his parents took “Blessed are the peacemakers” more seriously than a lot of people,
Wince and Smilin', regarding Arts and Sciences, I have read that they used to mean each other's current meanings. Arts were physical skills, as in 'artifice' or 'artisan,' to include technology and the exploration of the physical world. Sciences were pure knowledge, 'scientia,' such as languages, rhetoric, logic, math, literature.
Somewhere along the line they switched meanings.
Probably snobbery and reverse snobbery.
Kind of like how English surgeons insist on being called Mr/Ms/Mrs/Miss rather than Doctor. When surgery was a physical trade, often a sideline for butchers and barbers, surgeons were not called Doctor, which after all means Teacher. Now they insist on **not** being called Doctor, to distinguish themselves from effete GPs and other specialties who don't get their hands dirty. CC, JSM
Post a Comment
Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.