According to another passenger, Lundeen became "belligerent, making derogatory remarks to the staff of American Airlines and other passengers, racial slurs, vulgar language, very offensive to the women," and a former law enforcement officer said his friend "immediately knew that action had to be taken" and "got up right away and jumped in the seat right next to the passenger and began working on restraining him in order to keep the situation contained."
I don't want to go all Clancy-juror on you, but I feel sorry for this guy.
IN THE COMMENTS: Saint Croix said: "I hate to say it, but People magazine seems to have the scoop on this."

46 comments:
I don't want to go all Clancy-juror on you, but I feel sorry for this guy.
ha ha ha ha ha
yes you do
you'd think it would be fun!
what's the percentage of attorneys who have a secret dream to hold the line against a mob?
I want to be the Clancy juror!
Ya'll ain't convincing me of shit. I'll take either side. Bring it.
A Rabbi & a Realtor are sitting next to each other on a first class flight to Newark. And after two screw drivers the Realtor asks the Rabbi, “If I want to convert to Judaism do I have to get circumcised?”
first I got to climb the damn English barricade
which is a bitch of a fence
advanced software tools in the UK media, apparently
people say it's easy to sneak into Europe
my ass
speaking for a friend
anyway, CBS has the scoop
what is this, a misdemeanor?
no attorney and he needs his glasses
2 screwdrivers and "I don't remember"
I'll go with alcohol lightweight for the win.
Yeah. It’s two misdemeanors. Nothingburger. If he’s flying first class he’s doing well financially. But he should have quit drinking in the 80s.
Who is the MacGyver that carries duct tape on a plane?
I believe it's standard equipment on passenger airlines for just such emergencies.
Two doubles, maybe.
No sympathy for the guy who got blackout drunk at the airport.
These National Enquirer-type stories - this kook, the Clancy trial, etc., seem to just get weirder and weirder nowadays.
True story. When I was a kid, I was studying abroad in Australia, And on the plane ride out there, a bunch of us strangers were waiting in the Chicago airport for our connecting flight. So I offered to buy a round of drinks for everybody. Just beer, because my people are from Scotland. Our plane was delayed. And we had several rounds of drinks. I had, I don't know, 4 or 5 beers. Not too many.
About an hour into our flight, I had to go to the bathroom. So I'm in this tiny room, sitting on this tiny toilet. And then somebody starts banging on the bathroom door. BAM BAM BAM. I'm like, "holy shit." So I stand up and flush. Wash my hands. And I open the door.
Nobody is there. I look around. I don't see anybody. I go back to my seat. When I sit down, my neighbor asks me, "Where have you been?"
"I had to go to the bathroom," I said.
"You've been gone for two hours," he said.
Allegedly hmm
How many creative ways will we discover to subvert rule of law?
I hate to say it, but People magazine seems to have the scoop on this.
…There’s free drinks in first. Friedman says there is no such thing as a free lunch. Apparently no such thing as a free drink in first either…
The Clancy juror was the one who did not feel sorry for the defendant.
Could have been demon possession
Was it possibly Ambien + free drinks in 1st class? Once on a business trip to Toronto I did things I barely remembered because I drank a couple of beers before going to the room and taking Ambien to sleep. Instead of sleeping I went to a bookstore and bought a crazy paperback and a shirt, called my wife and wandered back. Didn’t remember where the book came from next day. My wife was able to tell me because I had called her while wandering.
Weird experience. Never mixed alcohol with that drug again.
"The Clancy juror was the one who did not feel sorry for the defendant."
There were 12 jurors. The typical juror was on the empathizing-with-the-defendant side. I would refer to the one guy as the "holdout."
Not mentioned was that his seat mate was a famous writer and YTer who is a Messianic Jew who said everything was pleasant chitchat until he drscribe his new fiction book about demons. He guy tried to choke him, also shouted Jewish slurs and he tried to grab Kahn’s laptop. It wasn’t just.verbal but women and POCs most affected.
The personality change does sound like someone who has gotten blackout drunk. Maybe more alcohol than he's admitting or maybe due to a combination of drugs and alcohol.
“There were 12 jurors. The typical juror was on the empathizing-with-the-defendant side. I would refer to the one guy as the "holdout."”
I know. I got that. However, if you’re using Clancy as the backdrop case in order to empathize with the defendant, you’re one of 11. You’re not the holdout.
Planes carry duct tape. It’s not only rivets and glue holding the aircraft together.
I call bullshite. He had cocktails before the flight. Or did as I did before I got sober and TSA got involved: I would have at least two if not four miniatures in my sports jacket pockets to make the drinks stronger - the ones sold on the plane. AND- maybe a beer or two before the flight in an airport lounge.
Pro-Life amid an empathetic murder. Caw!
I don't want to go all Clancy-juror on you, but I feel sorry for this guy.
I originally read the comment to mean that Althouse didn't want to be the lone holdout against the mob (the Clancy jury scenario). Which struck me as funny, because attorneys love that shit.
But now I see what she might have meant ("I don't want to go all Clancy juror on you") is that she felt sorry for the guy (like the women on the Clancy jury felt sorry for the defendant). She was using "Clancy juror" as short-hand for emotional women. But I hear "Clancy juror" as bad-ass standing up against the mob.
12 Angry Men is both versions of "Clancy jury syndrome."
AI says:
"Long-distance flights create a “stress-stack” that can overwhelm someone’s usual self-control. A mild-mannered person may not become a fundamentally different person; rather, several temporary pressures reduce their ability to regulate frustration at the same time:
Alcohol: Airport drinking, in-flight alcohol, and mixing alcohol with poor sleep or medication can lower inhibition and intensify perceived slights. Alcohol is repeatedly associated with unruly-passenger incidents.
Wikipedia
2
Sleep loss and circadian disruption: Overnight departures, jet lag, and prolonged wakefulness impair judgment and emotional regulation, making ordinary annoyances feel more threatening.
Physical discomfort: Cramped seating, heat, noise, dehydration, headaches, limited movement, and the mildly reduced cabin oxygen pressure can increase irritability.
upc.edu
Loss of control: Passengers must follow rules, remain confined, and depend on strangers while having little ability to leave or resolve a problem themselves. Delays, missed connections, and vague communication amplify this.
Accumulated frustration: The trigger may be trivial—a reclined seat, a crying child, a bag dispute, or a drink refusal—but it arrives after hours of queues, security checks, crowding, and discomfort. Long delays and dense boarding areas are associated with greater risk of conflict.
upc.edu
1
Fear or anxiety: Even people who seem composed may be suppressing fear of flying, turbulence, illness, or being trapped. Anxiety can come out as anger rather than panic.
Social friction and perceived disrespect: Passengers are packed together, privacy is minimal, and class differences or perceived unfairness are highly visible. A small interaction can become a status contest.
Individual vulnerabilities: Stress, nicotine withdrawal, medication interactions, mental-health symptoms, or a preexisting tendency toward impulsivity can make someone more susceptible.
The key idea is disinhibition plus confinement: alcohol, fatigue, and stress weaken restraint, while the aircraft removes the normal escape routes and makes conflict difficult to cool down. Most people under these conditions remain merely irritable; belligerence usually reflects several factors converging, not cabin pressure alone."
Can't hold his liquor.
My guess? He's a rage boy in real life and pitched a fit in a place he couldn't get away with it. His statements are clearly coached by an attorney,
“But I hear "Clancy juror" as bad-ass standing up against the mob.“
I’m in this camp, too. I think this is what most people think of now by the phrase “Clancy juror”. I can see how it can be interpreted the other way, though, so it’s a murky term to use without clarifying whether you mean one of 11 or the bad-ass.
Guy ought to be duck-taped in solitary for 5 to 10, but let this serve as a reminder to the rest of us not to discuss religion or politics or just about anything else with strangers in confined spaces.
@Breezy I take your point that it could be confusing, though I think in my context it's clear. May look for a different way to say it next time. Could do a test post about Nick Reiner.
Perhaps Lundeen had a psychological break or other issue that caused their behavior. My first sympathy is to the other passengers. Looking at the post event photos of Lundeen restrained, the passenger efforts seemed excessive, but I wasn’t there. If I give Lundeen the benefit of doubt, then the passengers deserve it more, because a person with a psychotic break is like an animal, willing to use far more of their body’s muscle than most people would experience. That much duct tape was probably necessary.
I believe there's an old song, sung by the likes of Dennis Day, Bing Crosby and others: "Clancy Lowered the Boom"
"Let me tell you about my new book..."
There's some serious trigger language right there.
Hilarious--how the passengers and crew McGuyvered Lundeen with duck tape.
Maybe the youtuber drugged the guy.
A lot of folks are lionizing the Holdout Juror, but we don't know what was in his mind. Maybe he just hates white people.
“I don't want to go all Clancy-juror on you,”
Then please don’t.
“but I feel sorry for this guy.”
And there you went and did it.
FWIW I agree with both Breezy and Leland, but maybe you’re right, Althouse, maybe “Clancy juror” should mean “wants to prove beyond all shadow of any doubt that women are inferior to men.”
What if the guy was 6'6" and 320 pounds? I think of Alonzo Spellman in 2002 whenever I read these stories:
Investigators said the 6-foot-6, 320-pound defensive end terrified passengers, first by yelling about the possibility of a crash, then by cursing, calling a female passenger an offensive name and threatening to smash a flight attendant's head with his cleats.
The tirade continued throughout the flight, an FBI agent said. One male passenger seated next to Spellman fled to another part of the plane and refused to return, authorities said.
''I can feel the adrenaline rushing through my hands. I am about to rip your throat out,'' Spellman told Capt. Robert Freund, according to investigators.
"Maybe he just hates white people."
Except baby white people.
The People mag story is interesting.
Sounds like a demonic possession. Perhaps that sounds crazy - but really isn't.
I agree with Bob Boyd. Seems awfully convenient the seat mate is benefiting from the publicity to hawk his new book. I believe in demonic possession; I just don't believe the guy would be perceived as a threat to a real demon.
"Except baby white people."
They're cute when they're little...
This is "somebody hacked my iPhone", human version.
I was a little surprised that I have a tag. Nice! Thanks.
Post a Comment
Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.