September 16, 2026

"He seeks to unsettle and entertain; after all, an alternative pronunciation of his alter ego’s name, Miss Chief Eagle Testickle, is 'Mischief Egotistical.'"

I'm reading "An Indigenous Painter Sees a Vermeer, and the Sparks Fly/For a new show at the Frick Collection, Kent Monkman imagines what Indigenous people see when they see fur trappers, General Custer and even Jeff Bezos" (NYT gift link)

22 comments:

Smilin' Jack said...

"An Indigenous Painter Sees a Vermeer, and the Sparks Fly/For a new show at the Frick Collection, Kent Monkman imagines what Indigenous people see when they see fur trappers, General Custer and even Jeff Bezos"

They see the winners.

Lem Vibe Bandit said...

"She shrugged at a Mark Rothko painting while passing it on horseback."

Could this be a fresh take on "The emperor's new clothes"? Rothko representing the royal flush of introspection, while Monkman (Miss Chief) rides a horse through it, a river of blood. #Unsaid things

John henry said...

Is the painter really indigenous any more than you or I?

I think what the term is intended to mean is descendant of in didinous people.

Which makes him a DIP.

with apologies to Ken Kesey. In his last novel "Sailor Song" he talks about a community discussion about Indian vs native American vs early American

The community decided that they were not actually early American but descendants of early American peopls

They the decided that was a mouthful and they should be called "Deaps"

John Henry

Not an oldster. said...

Dont mock Indians, ann.
They're not down with the flamboyant gay stuff.

Haha ... funny indian name from lady who fucks commoners.

Lem Vibe Bandit said...

“Royal flush” Why did i go Casino when thinking about Natives People?

Rabel said...

"Monkman's painting Hanky Panky depicts the former Prime Minister of Canada, Justin Trudeau, restrained and on all fours with his pants down as Monkman's alter ego, Miss Chief Eagle Testickle, approaches him from behind holding up a red sex toy in the shape of praying hands."

That's Katy's job, damnit.

paminwi said...

I concur with Smiling Jack!

n.n said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
n.n said...

Indigenous to the Posterity of first, second, third-wave colonials? Native to a jurisdiction. America, perhaps.

Biff said...

Some of the work is competently executed, but the commentary is the usual, tedious effluent.

Biff said...

"She walked on water, with an erection, in the beaming sunlight."

Lem Vibe Bandit said...

There’s also the possibility of the horse making a deposit in the punch bowl.

boatbuilder said...

How brave! Oops! Bad word choice. I meant "How transgressive!"

Checking all the boxes. I'm shocked he's not a professor at Cambridge.

hawkeyedjb said...

Vermeer labored to bring us beauty. Monkman strives to laugh at the idea of beauty and insult the audience. I guess he thinks that makes him the equal of a great artist.

Lem Vibe Bandit said...

I said…“Royal flush” Why did i go Casino when thinking about Natives People?”

In fairness to yours truly, I was just prior referencing ‘the emperor’s new clothes’ before I said anything about “royal flush”.

Btw. ai answers: “No, the card phrase "royal flush" has absolutely nothing to do with a toilet flush. (Punch bowl droppings) While they sound identical, the two phrases come from completely different linguistic roots.

“When you hold a flush, you have an "abundance" or a "flow" of one specific suit.A royal flush simply pairs this concept of abundance with the highest "royal" court cards in the deck: the Ace, King, Queen, Jack, and 10.

“The toilet flush comes from a completely separate, newer English word that likely originated as an onomatopoeia—a word that sounds like the action it describes (like splash or gush).”

Joe Bar said...

I saw Monkman's Instagram page. He's a real freak.

mccullough said...

Is the painter another Fake Injun?

Josephbleau said...

To me he looks Jewish. He looks like the actor who played the psychiatrist on the old MASH tv shows.

Josephbleau said...

"She shrugged at a Mark Rothko painting while passing it on horseback."

I must have the Althouse brain disease, when I first read that sentence I thought she was shitting a painting while riding a horse.

Lazarus said...

Miss Chief Eagle Testickle.

Liz Warren's Cherokee name?

Howard said...

They checks all them boxes: tortured artiste, indigenous previous owner of stolen lands, oppressed POC, and miss-gendered fluids.

Ann Althouse said...

“ I must have the Althouse brain disease,”

Ha ha.

I got another one today when my son sent me a chapter title from “The 3 Musketeers”: “IN WHICH THE KEEPER OF THE SEALS SÉGUIER SEARCHES MORE THAN ONCE FOR THE BELL IN ORDER TO RING IT THE WAY HE USED TO.”

Post a Comment

Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.