Kusama's "death at age 97 was announced on Thursday."
August 29, 2026
"We Who Are Captivated by the Utmost Beauty of Everything We Know and Shed Tears as We Were Monstrously Touched by the Mystery of the Beauty" and other works...
... can be seen at "Yayoi Kusama: A Life in Pictures/Whether making dot-covered sculptures or wild performance pieces, the Japanese artist grabbed critical and popular acclaim" (NYT gift link).

5 comments:
Sometimes I'm surprised that I've not heard of someone who was apparently well-known in some circles and had lived a long life producing things I might have run across at some point.
When they say 'popular acclaim' I wonder what they're referring to?
She has some fine examples of tentacle art. Complete with spots.
Tentacles art is a Japanese staple of monstrous affinity. A silly dolly with gay appeal and fringe acclamatiom of juvenile indulgence. RIP
I knew that there would be some absurdly obscure suggestions for the third celebrity death this week but...WOW
I don't know if it's her - without checking -but the “Narcissus Garden” installation is also at Crystal Bridges in Bentonville AK.
Post a Comment
Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.