"... was engaged at 16. I had planned to marry after I turned 18, but my engagement ended shortly before our wedding day when my fiancé was arrested and charged with possessing child pornography.
When that dream evaporated, I needed a new dream, so I decided to go to college, something my fiancé had discouraged. Partly out of spite for his low opinion of me, I applied to Harvard and was somehow accepted. Off I went, but the culture shock was extreme. I struggled but graduated, unsure of what was next."
She was hiking the Appalachian Trail with the idea of being alone — a good trick for finding romance.
19 comments:
Sort of like the struggle Kierkegaard had with choosing to commit to his fiancé Regine Olsen.
Lookout read her journals without permission?!? That would be a complete nonstarter for me, and it would kill anything that existed. But that's just me.
In any case, per the excerpt in this post, the thing is that, in fact, she DID choose, back and forth. This renders the whole essay as nonsense to me.
Relational props and circumstances.
As rcommal says, the headline is desperately trying to offer a NYT middle finger to the old two by two thing, when in reality it's just another "I am a somewhat slutty ditz" thing. Still at least she's married now. I give it a couple of years.
One of the suitors played the banjo and the other didn't. Seems like an easy choice to me.
The sentence about her parents led me to believe it was going to be an essay about how she discovered she was a real-life Pebbles Flintstone.
She had a book published in July 28th so this is a sales assist from the NYT. She is being built up as a female JD Vance on the secular left. It won't work because she's never achieved in the ways JD Vance achieved when he became a Marine and when he got a law degree. She can't really do anything but retell her origin story and be a bit crazy. She can't go on.
If I was in any danger of reading her novel, I’m not anymore. The essay could not be more trite. Wondering if Ann blogged it admiringly or for some other reason.
She hopelessly depends on men and her early betrayal has led to her desire for having a plan B to remain secure. Five years of weekly therapy in one sentence.
If you’re a single chick what better place to meet a guy or guys than the Appalachian trail. May even run into former Governor Mark Sanford.
Her premise was flawed from the beginning- the AT is a very crowded highway, full of finding themselvesers, youtube monetizers, criminals, grifters capitalizing on trail magic from generous benefactors. She’s likely pooping next to the guy she saw back in north carolina and been crushing on ever since…
"She was hiking the Appalachian Trail with the idea of being alone — a good trick for finding romance."
It worked for Mark Sanford.
“I hadn’t planned …”
One of my old friends had thoroughly planned his retirement, all the trips he would take, all the sights he would see. He hadn’t planned for his arthritis to be stage 4 bone cancer.
When I was in grad school I had gone through a painful breakup and I swore I would not get serious about any woman for a while. Then I met this pretty woman working on a doctorate whose dissertation topic dealt with the chemistry of radioactive elements. We’ve been married 51 years now.
My point being that one needs flexibility because life is full of random happenings. The article makes it seem that she’d have been happy married to either man, but chose the better one for her. Glad it worked out.
*** One of the suitors played the banjo and the other didn't. Seems like an easy choice to me. ***
In which direction?
“Rock quarry” is redundant. And people who write “my father” instead of “my Dad” are emotionally distant.
Torn between two lovers
Both of whom are tools
How does something this insipid get published? It's an absurd and disappointing reflection of "female agency."
She sounds more like a prepubescent girl at summer camp than a college graduate from Harvard of all places.Maybe she's genuinely humble about her powers of manipulation.
She's talking about sexual attraction and constant contact and never mentions sex? Yawn.
Narr's evaluation seems accurate.
Profiting off screwing around on your committed boyfriend.
Classy.
Post a Comment
Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.