July 22, 2026

"It’s the noise before the chaos, the noise that is always there when I close my eyes to sleep."

Said Ljubisa Karovic, who "was sleeping on an early morning flight from Greece to Germany when the window next to him exploded, causing him to be partially sucked through at 20,000ft."

24 comments:

Dave Begley said...

Boeing 737. Sad.

Maynard said...

That sucks!

Temujin said...

Hopefully they gave him an extra bag of peanuts for

Temujin said...

his troubles.

Aggie said...

He must be fatter than Goldfinger. But although he might be haunted by that sound, it must be an odd feeling when he realizes he's grateful to be around to relive it.

Iman said...

Contact Scheister and Scheister Law. We’ll get you your money.

Big Mike said...

@Aggie, this is why you keep your seatbelt buckled at all times when you are in your seat. I understand that his wife was seated next to him and succeeded in grabbing his legs before he was sucked all the way out.

Women from the Balkans are tough.

Howard said...

Que Q to claim suction doesn't exist.

Wince said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Saint Croix said...

His ass is out the window.

The bad news?

He just ate a salad.

Laurel said...

According to Google, fewer than one person per year (meaning statistically zero) is “sucked out of an airplane”.

I hear about the news, such as it is, reported by the NYT, or as here, the London Times, from others.

Is this truly “news”? If so, which part? His unique experience? Of what application to the rest of us? His all-too normal! entirely reasonable and predictable reaction and ongoing stresses?

Has all news simply become idle water cooler gossip, trivia and minutiae, odds and ends of human experience, the detritus of humanity’s existence?

It’s as if the showman P.T. Barnum crossed paths with the idle ladies of the local gossip circle.

Informative? Minimally.
Relevant? No.
Explanatory? No.

Is it news? In a word: no.

hanuman_prodigious_leaper said...

Could be prototype for Boeing Satellite Launch Mechanism BSLM commissioned by NASA to counter ELON

Craig Howard said...

I saw an Irish comedian who said the worst of his injuries were cramps due to the lack of legroom on Ryanair.

Peachy+2 said...

they gave him 75$ off his next flight.

Big Mike said...

@Laurel, I disagree. Besides this incident with Ryanair, back in 2018 essentially the same thing happened with a 737 belonging to Southwest Airlines in 2018, where an engine exploded and destroyed a window, resulting in a passenger -- in this case a woman -- being partially sucked out of the aircraft. In the case of Mr. Karovic the aircraft was descending to a landing and he survived. The Southwest flight was high over Pennsylvania when its engine exploded, so the passenger's head and chest were outside the aircraft longer, and she did not survive.

Lesson to be learned? When you sit down, look out the window. If the engine cowling is lined up with your seat, request to be relocated.

Disparity of Cult said...

Ljubiša means "beloved" or "dear one". Somebody up there likes him.

Leora said...

I'd wait to see if it goes away after the insurance company settles or he wins his court case.

Josephbleau said...

Man who suffers near death event haunted by the sound of near death event, film at 11.

Mary Beth said...

I was sitting on a 737 in a window seat when I read this easier. No suckage for me.

mikee said...

I'm not going to complain about some minor tinnitis after reading that.

Lazarus said...

I know that flying sucks nowadays but I didn't expect that to be literally true.

Christopher B said...

I recall a good chunk of the top of 737 (IIRC) making an unintended separation from the rest of the plane back in the 1990s

boatbuilder said...

The noise will go away when his lawsuit settles.

AnotherJim said...

Christopher B said...
I recall a good chunk of the top of 737 (IIRC) making an unintended separation from the rest of the plane back in the 1990s

Quite Memorable

Post a Comment

Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.