July 21, 2024

"As I watched the TV footage of former president Donald Trump being grazed by a bullet but avoiding death by millimeters, I remembered how I felt when I was shot."

"There’s survivor’s guilt, bewilderment, fearlessness, gratitude and the gnawing question of, 'Why was I spared?'... Before my life was almost snuffed out, I would have described myself as risk averse. I was cautious, conservative and played only by the rules. Afterward, I lived my life differently, with a real sense that there wasn’t time to wring my hands or to weigh the pros or cons of a certain action.... "

Writes Jackie Speier, a former member of the House of Representatives, "How getting shot changed me/Before, I was risk averse. After, I lived my life differently" (WaPo).

Speier was shot, nearly 46 years ago, alongside Rep. Leo Ryan, who was assassinated while attempting to investigate what was going on with Jim Jones in "Jonestown" in Guyana. Speier took 5 bullets "and lay on an anthill for 22 hours before being rescued."

Speier's words reminded me of something I happened to quote earlier this morning, Theodore Roosevelt's idea of "the man in the arena":
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat. Shame on the man of cultivated taste who permits refinement to develop into fastidiousness that unfits him for doing the rough work of a workaday world. Among the free peoples who govern themselves there is but a small field of usefulness open for the men of cloistered life who shrink from contact with their fellows. Still less room is there for those who deride or slight what is done by those who actually bear the brunt of the day; nor yet for those others who always profess that they would like to take action, if only the conditions of life were not exactly what they actually are. The man who does nothing cuts the same sordid figure in the pages of history, whether he be cynic, or fop, or voluptuary. There is little use for the being whose tepid soul knows nothing of the great and generous emotion, of the high pride, the stern belief, the lofty enthusiasm, of the men who quell the storm and ride the thunder. Well for these men if they succeed; well also, though not so well, if they fail, given only that they have nobly ventured, and have put forth all their heart and strength. It is war-worn Hotspur, spent with hard fighting, he of the many errors and the valiant end, over whose memory we love to linger, not over the memory of the young lord who “but for the vile guns would have been a valiant soldier.”

The occasion for quoting that came in the comments to yesterday's post, "Last week, I took a bullet for democracy." I had watched Trump's rally — his first rally since the assassination attempt — and I was struck by his very fast, crisply articulated speech and his hesitancy to walk out of the arena, and it seemed that "the brush with death had heightened his sense that he needs to compress his energy and do more and more... as if the rally was life itself, and he didn't want to leave."

In the comments, one reader challenged me:

Holy shit Althouse. Did you listen to that 1 hour and 42 minute spewing of stream of consciousness ranting and actually think that the string of lies and just pure fantasy he spouted was somehow coherent?

Fast and crisply enunciated, I'll give you that. But did you listen to the fucking content?... I couldn't even keep up with all the outright lies, distortions, and absolute batshit crazy things he said....

Asked did I listen, I said:

Did you listen?

You remind me of the parent who thinks their kid's music is just noise.

No one can speak extemporaneously like Trump. It's an amazing performance and his fans love it. It fills the arena. And what I was seeing is that he himself loves to be the man in the arena.

My reader was "the critic," "the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better," one of those "who deride or slight what is done by those who actually bear the brunt of the day." 

41 comments:

mongo said...

It's too bad that is what it takes to get people to live their lives the way they want to instead of the way they think they should. I admit I fall into the latter category but then I haven't been shot.

Joe Smith said...

The Democrat's favorite preacher, Jim Jones.

All the San Francisco politicians loved him.

gilbar said...

so here's a Sad, but serious, question..
WHEN the deep state successfully executes President Trump.. WHAT is the reaction?
I'm guessing resident Biden's spokesmouth will "regretfully" declare martial law & suspend elections
what happens then?

Dixcus said...

If only all other Democrats had the courage of Jim Jones' conviction and followed his lead.

traditionalguy said...

Coming Close to death teaches a strange lesson. As I recall Churchill thought there was no better exhilaration than to be shot at and missed. But it does touch a man’s deepest emotions. Better to tell witty jokes about it than to overthink it.

Jesus actually commanded his guys to love one another, adding laying down your life was the greatest act of love. Hmm.

JAORE said...

Trump could have lived a life of unimaginable (by my standards) wealth and luxury. He could have continued to be loved and praised by the left. He could have been considered a hero of minorities and the working man. He could have continued to accumulate wealth. He could have avoided the all out assault of lies and smears by political opponents and the press. He could have avoided lawfare built of twisted thinking and biased judges. He could have avoided the twisted, dark souls of the left that demonized his wife even calling her a prostitute.

He could have avoided being the target of an insane/impressionable man spurred to violence.

He's been in the arena for over 8 years. The assassination attempt was just the final proof.

doctrev said...

gilbar said...
so here's a Sad, but serious, question..
WHEN the deep state successfully

7/21/24, 9:44 AM

Nope. They shot their shot. President Trump's detail is on high alert and normies know the cops are trying to make it happen. A second try is likely to result in retaliation, just to show that wind up toys are state sponsored terrorism.

The question is, what are YOU going to do when the call goes out? If the answer is jack, hand in your guns and shut up about the Founders. They fought against much steeper odds, for much longer.

NorthOfTheOneOhOne said...

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better.

Kind of invalidates the internets, doesn't it?

rhhardin said...

It sounds like a "Don't forget about me. I have feelz too." moment.

pacwest said...

I was going to respond to Freder, but realized how useless it would be. Sometimes a mind will just clamp down on itself refusing to see what is happening right in front of it. A strange phenomenon to watch.

Dave said...

I was caught in the riots on King Street in Charleston. Our restaurant was attacked. Shots were fired right outside and first the rioters threw rocks at our window then they burst the window with a table outside. Everyone was screaming and ducking for cover.

I am a nervous person a lot. I dread going to the doctor or returning things to walmart. I was amazed at how calm I was.

I watched the door to see if someone was going to come in with a gun, and I pulled all the glass on the table to me in case I needed to throw it. It was like a hurricane around me but I was in the eye. We evacuated into the back alley, and I went alone for the car. Just as I got the car back to the restaurant, a jeep blocked us. Everyone was yelling for me to back up, but I went forward. There were 5 lean young men with dual use bottles charging us. But all my people were in the car, and I hit the gas and drove straight through them towards their jeep. There wasn't enough room on the left or the right of the jeep for me to get by, so I went straight at the jeep. It moved out of my way and we got out.

I am still nervous about all kinds of little things, but I know if something big happens, I can handle it.

Dave Begley said...

Thanks for the full TR quote. I know the beginning of it, but how about this, “of the men who quell the storm and ride the thunder.”

That’s Trump! He rides the thunder.

Just saw Newt on Fox and he described JD as a real intellectual because he read Aquinas and St. Augustine as part of his conversion to Catholicism. It’s up to DDB to deliver to JD a secret book of Jesuit wisdom.

Yancey Ward said...

And we are still waiting for Freder to produce his promised list.

Tom T. said...

She flew to Guyana to investigate a cult. It doesn't sound like she was very risk-adverse even before being shot.

Yancey Ward said...

I had forgotten about Speir's story- haven't had much occasion to think about the Ryan assassination in the last 46 years.

Dude1394 said...

"My reader was "the critic," "the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better," one of those "who deride or slight what is done by those who actually bear the brunt of the day." "

That was beautiful...

"The question is, what are YOU going to do when the call goes out? If the answer is jack, hand in your guns and shut up about the Founders. They fought against much steeper odds, for much longer."
And so is this.

Mikey NTH said...

Back in 2004 a lunatic fired a shotgun at my car as he passed. The slug passed through the window a foot behined my head and exited through the roof. I didn't sleep well that night. I don't think I changed too much.

The lunatic then went up US127 shooting at cars before going off the road. Fortunately no one was seriouly hurt.

William said...

The man in the arena is also the star of the show. Some acts of valor are more glorious and perhaps vainglorious than other acts of valor. TR's immediate predecessor was William McKinley. He fought as a grunt at Antietam and other bloody battles in the Civil War. He didn't lead any charges. He kept his head down and tried to survive.....To the extent one thinks of McKinley, one thinks of him as an overweight mediocrity. But for a time he was young and brave and worthy of glory. I don't mean this as a knock against TR (or Trump) but I have more admiration for his brand of valor. It was more alloyed with duty than glory....Well, tastes vary. Brad Pitt gets the Achilles role and some actor I can't remember played Hector.

Jamie said...

Wow, Dave. I want to be at your table when it hits the fan!

David53 said...

Great post Ann. Fop,voluptuary,Hotspur, all words I had forgotten or never knew. Thanks.

Drago said...

"Well, tastes vary. Brad Pitt gets the Achilles role and some actor I can't remember played Hector"

Eric Bana, who was great in "Munich".

OldManRick said...

When I read a Freder post calling us to see Trump's lies, I always think of the MSM trope used against republican when they assert something - "without evidence".

Sebastian said...

Very slightly OT: Jonestown was prog utopia. As is their wont, Dems have never fully confronted what their man JJ did, including the mass race murder. It was just a "cult," you see. Documentary on it pulls some punches but is nonetheless revealing.

MadTownGuy said...

The unnamed commenter said...

"Fast and crisply enunciated, I'll give you that. But did you listen to the fucking content?... I couldn't even keep up with all the outright lies, distortions, and absolute batshit crazy things he said..."

Crazy is as crazy does. The commenter provided no facts to support the assertions of lies/distortions/craziness - what a surprise - and ignored the content. And yes, he or she was armchair quarterbacking.

I haven't been in the arena so I have to take care how I approach this, though in that California State Fullerton shooting I had one degree of separation, only because it was my day off. But I can point out that if the security officer who spotted the shooter before he reached the library had been able to take action, the story would have had a much better ending. My recollection is that the officer was armed, but wasn't able to reach the security post or wasn't given permission to act.

RCOCEAN II said...

what a great speech by Teddy Roosevelt. He also said this in the same speech:

"Let the man of learning, the man of lettered leisure, beware of that queer and cheap temptation to pose to himself and to others as a cynic, as the man who has outgrown emotions and beliefs, the man to whom good and evil are as one. The poorest way to face life is to face it with a sneer." T

Original Mike said...

A whole post built around Freder and he doesn't show up. Guess he's still working on his list.

RCOCEAN II said...

Reagan was shot and almost killed. I don't know what affect it had on him. He rarely spoke of it, and none of his biographiers do much analysis. T.R. was was also shot in the chest 2 years after he gave this speech in Paris. I assume after facing death many times, it had little affect that point.

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

"[T]he parent who thinks their kid's music is just noise."

Probably much like those evil mothers who will tell you that everything is just dirt.

And so it was James Murray Spangler, a department store janitor, who invented the first portable electric vacuum cleaner in 1907.

He endured much criticism and discouragement from lesser men, I'm sure, but necessity is the mother of invention.

Shoeless Joe said...

“It has always been the prerogative of children and half-wits to point out that the emperor has no clothes. But a half-wit remains a half-wit, and the emperor remains an emperor.”

-- Neil Gaiman

Earnest Prole said...

No “survival” tag?

Narayanan said...

so not PTSD but PTSO[rder]

Indigo Red said...

Reading Teddy's words must have been torture for Althouse given her disdain for semi-colons.

John henry said...

A number of people over the last week have commented on Churchill's "nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at and missed" quote

I agree with the sentiment but the quote is not right for 2 reasons:

First president Trump was not shot at and missed. He was shot at and hit

But more importantly I think is that the actual Churchill quote is not "shot at and missed" but "shot at with no result"

This is accurate in president Trump's case. The shooter didn't "miss" (depending on meaning of miss) president trump lost an a piece of ear but there was no serious result.

Physically, that is. Lots of serious results politically, perhaps to his state of mind and other things.

John Henry

Humperdink said...

When the WaPoo, who was tallying Trump lies hit the high seven (7) digit mark, someone did an analysis. The best example was Trump's Ukrainian phone call. Trump called it a "very good phone call".

The fact-checker called it a lie, even though it was an opinion. To makes matters worse, since Trump repeated it 17 times, it was counted as 17 lies.

mikee said...

Well, there are lies, damned lies, statistics, and political statements. I'll take arguing about statistical lies any time over a political discussion that begins with "He lies!" Statistical analysis can be used to mislead, but only until the math is reviewed.

People who start out with a presumption of guilt against the subject under discussion are not arguing in good faith, they are just trying to stop the other side from speaking. To hell with that, and to hell with them.

mikee said...

Well, there are lies, damned lies, statistics, and political statements. I'll take arguing about statistical lies any time over a political discussion that begins with "He lies!" Statistical analysis can be used to mislead, but only until the math is reviewed.

People who start out with a presumption of guilt against the subject under discussion are not arguing in good faith, they are just trying to stop the other side from speaking. To hell with that, and to hell with them.

tcrosse said...

It's the fallacy of the Undistributed Middle:

I hate Trump
I hate liars
Ergo
Trump is a liar.
QED

Narr said...

The line about vile guns is adapted from Shakespeare.

Iman said...

Another San Francisco Democrat political fuck-up that killed over 900 people.

DLH said...

Dave what an awesome story and perspective! Similar thing happened to me when I was 21 years old and working as a machinist but also guiding upland game hunts on weekends. Hunting quail all morning and great group of guys but had one fly back into us and screamed “no shot”, but i saw muzzle flash from 25 yards and he hit me good with 71 pellets but luckily just lodged in my chin, arm and passed through my ears. I just felt surreal in the moment. I called 911 and stayed really calm and got airlifted to hospital but really never panicked. Which is weird because I don’t even like traffic, crowds, or using apps lol

john mosby said...

Speier mentions survivor’s guilt. And that made me think that maybe that, rather than his own narrow escape, is what’s coloring Trump’s worldview now.

One of his followers got killed for being one of his followers. And yes, it happened at least once before, with Ashlii, but this is a much more direct example. And although Trump apparently didn’t see it happen, he still knows about it.

It probably makes him think even more seriously about what he’s doing. Probably doesn’t change a single policy position, but does make him more resolute.

JSM