March 26, 2024

"Mr. Malinin started skating to the 'Succession' theme last fall, but he has yet to watch the show. 'I don’t have a subscription to HBO'..."

"... he said in an interview. 'But if I did get it, I’d definitely watch.' The network’s programming has influenced his performances before: Last season, he performed a free skate program set to a selection of music from the series 'Euphoria.' 'I didn’t watch "Euphoria" either,' he said, 'but I’ve heard it’s a really good series.'"

From "'Succession' on Ice/Ilia Malinin, an American teenager, won the men’s World Figure Skating Championships with a performance set to the theme of the HBO series" (NYT).

For my post with videos of Malinin's amazing performance, go here.

ALSO: From the NYT article: "In the coming months, Mr. Malinin plans to 'take the time to mentally prepare for the idea of trying' the quint jump, he said. 'I like to push the boundaries of physical abilities and the boundaries of this sport.'"

The article headline is "'Succession' on Ice," but Malinin isn't in any way interpreting the story or the characters from the show. It's completely abstract music to him (and his choreographer), I presume. For a viewer of the show, however, the music calls up those associations. It's not just music. It's a particular, awful family... that has nothing to do with Malinin.

7 comments:

WWIII Joe Biden, Husk-Puppet + America's Putin said...

It is better to train - than watch crap hillarywoodland TV? why yes.

rehajm said...

HBO is the only one that still shells out for original music. I know they are hoping he’s endorsing their politics.

Any angle. Anything. Ohpleaseohpleaseohplease…

lonejustice said...

I've never watched a single episode of Succession, so of course I didn't know the musical theme to the show. But I thought his routine worked well with the music.

MadisonMan said...

I hope he can land a quint. That would be something! Stay healthy young man!

Iman said...

Wanker.

hombre said...

Awesome performance.

Leland said...

I'm worse than him. I've never heard of Succession or Euphoria shows.