April 9, 2023

Easter sunrise with voices.

 

Christians — heard but not seen — are gathered around a fire and begin their ritual with a familiar hymn, one I've played many times for myself, through headphones, right at this spot, at other sunrises. Birds accompany.

ADDED: From the Wikipedia article "Bunessan":
Bunessan is a hymn tune based on a Scottish folk melody, first associated with the Christmas carol "Child in the Manger" and later and more commonly with "Morning Has Broken". It is named for the village of Bunessan in the Ross of Mull.

Mary M. Macdonald (Màiri Dhòmhnallach in Scottish Gaelic) (1789–1872), who lived in the crofting community of Ardtunnear Bunessan and spoke only Gaelic, wrote her hymn "Leanabh an àigh" to a traditional melody. As Bunessan is located beside the Isle of Iona founded by Irish monks, the melody probably came from Ireland originally....

Sometime before 1927 Alexander Fraser heard the melody in the Scottish Highlands and wrote it down so that it came to the attention of Percy Dearmer, Ralph Vaughan Williams, and Martin Shaw. In turn, these editors of the hymn book Songs of Praise requested Eleanor Farjeon to write a further hymn text to the tune. This was "Morning Has Broken", and since 1931 the tune has become most familiarly identified with this hymn. In 1971, a version of "Morning Has Broken" was recorded by British singer Cat Stevens, helping popularize the tune.

16 comments:

Humperdink said...

He is risen! And witnessed and recorded.

Temujin said...

Beautiful. Happy Easter to those of you celebrating today.

Hearing 'Morning has broken' takes me back to the early 70's, perhaps sitting in Shaw Hall at Michigan State...dreaming about what I'd be doing, and what the world would be like going forward.

I was way off.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

the birds accompaniment is now appearing on YouTube. Let’s hope nobody has any objections 😉

rhhardin said...

My least favorite Cat Sevens song, as musically trite. A "can this be over soon?" cut on the LP.

hombre said...

He is risen!

RigelDog said...

That particular sunrise is perfect for Easter morning.

Wishing a blessed and joyous day to all!

Laurel said...

He is risen, indeed! Hallelujah and amen!

Wince said...

Did Althouse see the "Trump is like Jesus" cold open on SNL?

Inga said...

What a lovely scene and sweet sounds on an Easter morning.

rcocean said...

Very nice.

Chuck said...

Easter Sunday at Bethesda-by-the Sea, Palm Beach.

While "He" is risen, "he" is at Trump International West Palm Beach.

Owen said...

He is risen indeed!

Best to all, especially our hostess and Meade.

lonejustice said...

Off topic, but I think it needs to be said. The delayed "moderation" on Althouse Blog is a good thing. When I was a practicing lawyer for 20+ years, (as a prosecutor for most of the time), I never had the time to read the comments here. I just read what the Professor posted. which is what I wanted to know. Some of it was political. Other post were popular culture or related to the arts. I loved this. That's why I came to this blog, and it is why I still read this blog. But since I retired, I started reading the comments here, and the comments posted here are often way out of line. Some people here are just people yelling in an echo chamber. Some of them are left wing, but many are "always Trump or the highway," or followers of the John Birch Society, Alex Jones, Gateway Pundit, or other dubious ultra conservative sites. They post here the very same posts they post on all of these other sites. It's like they are trying to take over this blog, which I truly love. I don't want them to succeed. Some of those people here keep accusing our host as being a "white, college educated white woman," as if this is some kind of insult. I consider it a virtue. Which is why I will continue to read and post on this blog.

lonejustice said...

I only post this because it is past the statute of limitations, in case anyone here is interested in prosecuting a former criminal prosecutor. Morning is Broken by Cat Stevens is a song that will live with me forever. The first time I heard it was as a freshman in college, back in the early 70s, after taking a hit of Orange Sunshine, which was a potent form of LSD which was popular in the early 70s. In the town of my college things were pretty flat, so after taking acid at night we would of course be tripping all night long, but then when we were coming down, we would smoke some marijuana and go to the nearby arboretum and watch the sun rise. That is where we would watch the sun come up. Morning is broken.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

Only restaurants and gas stations opened here in Georgia.

Ann Althouse said...

Thanks, lonejustice