April 13, 2023

"Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Grateful Dead?"

That's the top-rated comment on this Reddit post:

 
I liked this comment, which reminds me I've got to get around to finishing "The Philosophy of Modern Song":
Should have had a congressional investigation into The Philosophy of Modern Song
"Mr. Dylan, on page 191, you wrote of Mr. Warren Zevon and I quote: 'You’re the tomcat with the stiff penis who pisses gold urine.' Mr. Dylan, surely you are aware that Mr. Zevon was a member of the Homo Sapians species of primate known as 'human.' He was never a 'tomcat' nor any other kind of feline. As a human, Mr. Zevon's urine would have been liquid, not a precious metal such as gold—isn't that correct, Mr. Dylan? Furthermore, you must know it is exceedingly difficult to urinate with an erection. Are you prepared to admit, Mr. Dylan, that your description of Mr. Zevon was false, that we shouldn't believe you, and that you are a liar? And will you agree to henceforth play it fucking loud?"

The scenario reminds me of something I read in this new book I've been listening to on my Wisconsin walks, "The Waste Land: A Biography of a Poem":

In 1929, after a reading of ‘Ash-Wednesday’ at the Oxford Poetry Club, an undergraduate asked Eliot: ‘Please, sir, what do you mean by the line: “Lady, three white leopards sat under a juniper tree”?’ Eliot looked at him and said: ‘I mean, “Lady, three white leopards sat under a juniper tree.”’

Calypso singers laughed. 

11 comments:

Kai Akker said...

Look at that nice midwestern matron!

Ann Althouse said...

I'm just noticing the rules of the Bob Dylan subreddit, which I read every day but, since I never comment, don't really need to know the rules of.

I like the first rule: "1. Be groovy or leave, man."

I really identify with that rule! Be groovy or leave, man.

Will Cate said...

Speaking of the Dylan/Dead connection, I saw that Bob just performed "Truckin'" for the first time ever at a Japanese concert.

Crimso said...

"Be groovy or leave, man."

So long to "an endless succession of beans and nuts."

Bob Boyd said...

Be groovy or leave, man.

We pray the moderator to have mercy upon us
And pray that we may groovily articulate
These matters that with ourselves we too much discuss
Too much explain
Because we hope on the next post to comment again
Let these words answer
For what was done, and likely will be done again
May the judgement not be too heavy upon us

gratefulgee said...

Ba da-da da-da da-da, feeling groovy

Amexpat said...

"You’re the tomcat with the stiff penis who pisses gold urine", is a funny line. Trying to analyze its literal truth is even funnier.

SoLastMillennium said...

Why does he look like a quite young Doctor Who in that image?

And yes, I'm showing my age. (even here)

Joe Smith said...

Getting into the psychedelics a bit early this morning?

Known Unknown said...

All of those mics are now iPhones laid down on the dais in front of the singer, out of sight, and out of mind.

Crimso said...

Hey Althouse, still haven't changed the header? I think "Be groovy or leave, man." is perfect.