January 15, 2022

"I mean, Season 2 should be the easiest and best of anything..."

"... because usually when you write something, you do the best job and you cast it, and you try and find the people that are right for it. But then with Season 2, you know who you’re writing for, you bring in their physicality, you know what their strengths are, you know [who's] good at ad-libbing and who isn’t. You hit the ground running. That was the case with this but it didn’t apply so much, because I asked people it before I wrote it. I’ve been around for a while, so I was casting all the people I knew that were right for it. It’s always an easy shoot with my stuff because I’ve already lived with it for a year. I use the same crew. I use the same ensemble of actors or I find someone new that fit in. If someone handed me Mission: Impossible 8 and said we’re filming this next week, I’d panic, but with this show, it’s like with boxers: the hard bit is the training, the rest is easy."

Said Ricky Gervais, in an interview at Deadline, as the third season of his show "After Life" begins on Netflix. 

1. I wrote "[who's]" instead of "whose [sic]" because it's an interview. He was talking. It's no fun snarking at the transcriber.

2. "It’s like with boxers: the hard bit is the training, the rest is easy" — I have no idea if he's talking about the dogs or the humans with gloves, the men in shorts.

3. We watched the first episode of Season 3 last night. It's only about 25 minutes, but there's lots of detail, even though you can also get the sense that nothing happens and nothing can change, this is a random collection of bumbling, sad people. Obviously, that's why you shouldn't binge watch, shouldn't take the bait when Netflix starts its little timer down in the lower right corner, ready to fling you into the next episode. 

4. Resisting, we switched over to the 2010 Coen brothers movie "True Grit," which we'd paused halfway through the other day. We stuck with that to the end. I've never watched the John Wayne "True Grit," so I had no basis for comparison with the old film, whether Wayne shambled and mumbled better than Jeff Bridges. Nor can I compare the young actresses selected from obscurity to play the 14-year-old girl who somehow begins with true grit and teaches each man she encounters something about it. I wondered what happened to this actress in the next dozen years, and I was dismayed to run smack into "EXCLUSIVE: Pink-haired Hailee Steinfeld goes braless in a chainmail mini while posing in the shower before rocking a red wig and flashing her abs in latex in sizzling new shoot" (Daily Mail).

 

5. RICKY: "I’m fascinated with ego and narcissism and vanity and fame. The last 10 years we’ve seen the rise of the narcissism; I think all the bad things in the world are about narcissists, usually men, wanting to rule the world. Now we’ve got Instagram where it’s people standing next to a boat with their shirt off. It’s not even their boat, sometimes it’s not their abs. You see it mostly in entertainment, acting and modeling and so on. But what is the worst job to be a narcissist? When you should be listening to someone else. I thought I’d make [the therapist character] a narcissist, mixed in with toxic masculinity. I remember telling Paul Kaye about all the lines and I said, 'Do it like a football hooligan who works in the city.'"

6. If you read that whole interview, you'll see something that might make you think that sounds like something Althouse said about aging the day after her birthday — here. So you should know that I was influenced by re-listening to an old Ricky Gervais podcast where he made that point — that as you age each day is a larger percentage of the number of days you have left to live. He's repeating himself in this interview, but I offered an observation without saying I heard something like that in his podcast somewhere, that has no transcript to search. I do prefer to link!

36 comments:

mezzrow said...

I read it as men in shorts, and it makes perfect sense that way.

rehajm said...

Dump that sour Meryl Streep in the bin and give us more Hailee Steinfeld. She’s wonderful. Versatile, is the correct word, not dismay. Watch her with Woody Harrelson in Edge of Seventeen for some fun.

…and lighten up, Francis.

rehajm said...

Dickinson is not my thing but she’s great in that, too…

rehajm said...

I have a hard time with that True Grit trailer because the lawyer sounds too much like Matthew Mcconnoughey’s koala bear character Buster Moon from Sing

Ann Althouse said...

"I read it as men in shorts, and it makes perfect sense that way."

Yeah, but do you know how often Ricky talks about dogs?

Lucien said...

Turns out it’s not real chain mail. (Which could really chafe if you wore it braless (but who could tell?)).

Fernandinande said...

"who's" = "who is", is correct: "you know who is good at ad-libbing and who isn’t."

rhhardin said...

Ghost Town (2008) was good but I didn't think The Office was even slightly funny or interesting, like it was all actor ad libs with no material. This sounds the same.

The difference probably is that Gervais didn't write Ghost Town.

Ann Althouse said...

""who's" = "who is", is correct: "you know who is good at ad-libbing and who isn’t.""

That was a cut and paste error I've now corrected. The original has "whose" incorrectly.

Temujin said...

I'm looking forward to watching Season 3 of 'After Life'. I do like the overall feel of the show. And at this point in my life, I can probably relate a bit to some of the lines each episode. But it's not the sort of show I'd binge watch. Really, it's light, but good and typically leaves you with something. And Gervais is always worth watching or listening to.

I've never looked at boxers and thought to myself, "Hmm...men in shorts." Pretty funny.

True Grit was pretty good both times. The John Wayne version was good if you keep it in perspective- good for it's day. The newer one was good for it's day. Kinda like '3:10 to Yuma'- good in both of it's versions, for the time it was done.

Rollo said...

I never heard of the show, but at least he's not annoying us by saying "Series 2," so I guess that's something ...

Will Cate said...

I'm surprised a movie buff such as yourself has never seen the 1969 "True Grit" .. it's a bit of a kitschy western, perhaps not among the Duke's best work, but there are also some great performances by Glen Campbell and Kim Darby. Might want to check it out now that you've seen the newer one. (but if you do, FYI, be aware that there are no mountains in or near Forth Smith, Ark. ... LOL, Hollywood)

Scot said...

'Do it like a football hooligan who works in the city.'

Translation: Do it like a Raiders fan who works on Wall Street.

2nd Translation: Do it like an asshole.

gilbar said...

(but if you do, FYI, be aware that there are no mountains in or near Forth Smith, Ark. ... LOL, Hollywood)

no Large Mountains, and the Boston mountains are Northeast of Fort Smith, not out in the Indian territories. I was SHOCKED when i realized that True Grit was Supposed to be about Arkies. At least True Grit wasn't made by John Ford (and thus; wasn't filmed in the Monument Valley)

Tim said...

I like Ricky, but if he really thinks the hard part of boxing is the training, he has never spent several 3 minute rounds fighting some guy trying to knock him out. Amazing how long 3 minutes can last.

Ann Althouse said...

"I'm surprised a movie buff such as yourself has never seen the 1969 "True Grit" "

I wouldn't call myself a "movie buff." I specifically don't just go see movies because they are big productions that are considered important. I avoid a lot of things, including Westerns!

You may not realize how on the outs John Wayne was at the time. We young people considered him toxic because he was right wing. Same bullshit you see now was also the case half a century ago.

stephen cooper said...

FYI, once you have seen enough movies, pausing half way through, for a day or even more, makes sense. That is how novels have been read since like forever, and Shakespeare's best non-comedy is in two parts (Falstaff I and II). In the other direction, I like to read 40 or 50 daily comics in a row ... Peanuts, Krazy Kat, Rose is Rose, that Canadian family with the big dog, even Doonesbury in the pre-vacancy days ...


Joe Smith said...

'I wondered what happened to this actress in the next dozen years...'

The DM article says she's 25 in the photos.

She did not age well.

Mark O said...

From child start to wet minx.

"Reflecting on her movie career, she added that critical reviews are not important to her: 'I put so much of myself into what I do that I can only ever hope that it's recognised."

Ralph L said...

I remember the girl in the Wayne version being annoying. If they made her heroic in the new one, she's probably insufferable.

Glen Campbell as a patient on a gurney: Howdy, I'm Glen Campbell.
Cher as a nurse: Sorry, we have no cure for that.

MadisonMan said...

Ricky Gervais is one of my favorite Talk Show guests to watch. He always has something interesting and funny to say.

Howard said...

One of the best scenes ever in the history of movies is Strother Martin as the horse trader in the Wayne Grit. I'm sure you can see it on YouTube.

Howard said...

Dennis Hopper and John Wayne had a interesting love-hate relationship.

RoseAnne said...

John Wayne was John Wayne. He reminded me of my Dad (although my Dad was a lifelong Democrat) in the best ways so I can never see him without bias.

Kim Darby was in a lot of shows at the time and was annoying in True Grit but generally I liked her.

Glen Campbell - great singer/terrible actor.

I suspect that I have avoided the remake because I also generally like the actors in the new movie and don't want to challenge my memories of the original.

NorthOfTheOneOhOne said...

4. Resisting, we switched over to the 2010 Coen brothers movie "True Grit," which we'd paused halfway through the other day. We stuck with that to the end. I've never watched the John Wayne "True Grit," so I had no basis for comparison with the old film, whether Wayne shambled and mumbled better than Jeff Bridges.

The Duke never mumbled. I can't see Althouse sitting through that version of True Grit as it is chock full of some of the worst Western movie cliches.

Nor can I compare the young actresses selected from obscurity to play the 14-year-old girl who somehow begins with true grit and teaches each man she encounters something about it.

No one has ever been able to do the book justice. Portis' novel is presented as a memoir written by a 50 year old Maddie Ross at the beginning of the 20th Century. She is if anything an extremely unreliable and biased narrator. I tend to believe that her "grit" is more vanity than anything else.

Will Cate said...

Ann said: "We young people considered him toxic because he was right wing"

Ah, yeah... gotcha. I was just a kid then but I remember, now that you mention it.

FullMoon said...

The therapist scene was pretty dang funny. No doubt many therapists feel that way.

Friend of mine claims he was pouring his heart out to (court ordered) psychiatrist when psych got emergency call. Psych rattled of series of drugs to give out of control patient.

Turned to my friend and said: "And you think you have problems?"

John henry said...

Thanks for the heads-up on Rocky Gervais. I loved seasons 1&2 and will watch them again before starting season 3. Looking forward to it.

As a general comment, I tend to like longer show. Worth a 30 minute stop, it seems like I'm just getting into it when the credits roll. I was just thinking that last night while watching the righteous gemstones. I would have preferred the same material in 4 longer episodes

I think I saw the newer grit when it came out of shortly after. Liked it then watched the original. I liked it too

John LGBTQBNY Henry

Readering said...

Now that I think about it, the concept of each remaining day being an increasing percentage of one's remaining life may be a reason I find it hard to tackle long books any more.

FullMoon said...

Now that I think about it, the concept of each remaining day being an increasing percentage of one's remaining life may be a reason I find it hard to tackle long books any more.

Yeah, that, and the internet.

Narr said...

Never saw either version of True Grit.

As far as my clique was concerned, John Wayne was a loudmouth and pseudo-patriot, in addition to being a mediocre actor.

Still, to see him pretend as Genghis Khan, or a chivalrous former German naval officer, is unforgettable. To me anyway.

FullMoon said...

"..the men in shorts."
Pretty sure it was Althouse who referred to football uniforms as costumes. I use that whenever opportunity arises and time is right. "My goodness, such lovely costumes!"

Not around Raider fans down at the sports bar. I'm eccentric, not crazy.

ClovisPolar said...

I think Gervaise is referring to the dictum "train hard, fight easy"

Narr said...

"Sweat saves blood."

Ralph L said...

the concept of each remaining day being an increasing percentage of one's remaining life

The rude part is that time speeds up when you have less of it.

Left Bank of the Charles said...

I saw True Grit on Christmas Day 2010 at the Harvard Square Theater, one of the last movies I saw there before it closed. Henry Louis Gates, Jr. was in line ahead of us for tickets, and was talking with his friends about the ironies of his doing commentary for the local Fox station.

I rate the 1969 original 5 stars and the 2010 remake 4 stars. They are both great movies, as was the book, I think the book and 1969 movie were culturally important because they presented a reactionary version of feminism in the character of Mattie Ross, and that is the version of feminism that got mainstreamed,