August 10, 2021

"Psaki grew up in Greenwich, Connecticut—but not exactly that Greenwich. 'There’s a lot of hippie vibe in my family,' she tells me."

"She’s the oldest of three daughters: Her youngest sister, a Unitarian Universalist minister, does indeed send out hippie vibrations, as does her mother, a therapist who grew up in blue-collar Queens. Psaki’s father, a retired real estate developer, declared bankruptcy when she was in seventh grade.... For the most part, Psaki was focused on her high school swim team—she had a powerful backstroke—and, later, on her sorority, Chi Omega at the College of William & Mary. She was the president, but then, as now, she didn’t seem to want to be the center of attention. 'She’s an under-the-radar leader,' her college roommate, Ally Wagner, tells me. Psaki quit the college swim team after two years but stayed 'crazy athletic,' Wagner says. Katie McCormick Lelyveld, who got to know Psaki early in her career, describes her as 'a deeply devoted friend,' and despite her work ethic, 'she knows how to relax and laugh, and she likes a dance party.' As for the music, 'she’s a Top 40 girl,' McCormick Lelyveld says. But not current stuff. 'The music that was popular during her 20s and 30s.' She mentions the CD compilations Now That’s What I Call Music."

From "Press Secretary Jen Psaki is Good At Mending Fences. Just Don’t Call Her Nice" by Lizzie Widdicombe (Vogue).

I had to look up "Now That's What I Call Music." It's basically a U.K. series, each CD containing the songs that were hits when it was issued. There's only one U.S. CD with that branding. It came out in 1998 when Psaki was 20. 

There she was in college, distinguished by her love of Top 40 hits, at a time when that meant "MMMBop" and "Barbie Girl"...

 

I'm a Barbie girl, in the Barbie world/Life in plastic, it's fantastic/You can brush my hair, undress me everywhere/Imagination, life is your creation.... Make me walk, make me talk, do whatever you please/I can act like a star, I can beg on my knees...

ADDED: I misread the Wikipedia page I linked to, which is about the first "Now That's What I Call Music" release in the United States. The series does continue, and, as you can see here, goes up to volume 79, which just came out a few days ago, so I guess we can expect a lot more. I'm proud of this mistake because it means I successfully shielded myself from the advertising. Deliberately annoying crap like this:

23 comments:

Mark said...

Don't call her "nice."

I won't.

Bill Crawford said...

Remind us - what music did Sarah Sanders like?

MadisonMan said...

Okay, I won't call her nice. Can I call Psaki privileged? Is that allowed? Because she is.

The adverbs today are bugging me. Psaki is "deeply" devoted. Not just devoted. Deeply devoted. Mary Trump isn't just aware. She's acutely aware.

Clyde said...

Actually, looking at the Wikipedia link, there's a lengthy series of Now That's What I Call Music CDs that were released in the U.S. The most recent was #78 on April 30, 2021. The popularity has waned in recent years, however: Releases #1-29 all went Platinum or multi-Platinum. Starting with release #30 in March 2009, none went higher than Gold, and release #32 in November 2009 was the first one not to even reach the Gold level of sales. The last one to reach Gold was #52 in October 2014. I suspect this reflects the rise of streaming music and the ability to be able to hear any song that you want any time you want.

Joe Smith said...

Grew up in Greenwich and schooled at William and Mary...a real 'up by her bootstraps' Cinderella story. She must have had so much to overcome in her cruel, Dickensian upbringing.

Charlie said...

There are scores of the "That's What...." CDs, I think the current one is volume 109. The music industry releases one every few months as a sampler to Top 40. They aren't so ubiquitous these days (because CDs) but there are hundreds of millions of these scattered about in various landfills.

Ficta said...

"It's basically a U.K. series". I'm fairly certain that's wrong. I remember these being very popular in the late 1990s up to the widespread piracy/streaming era transition away from physical media. They were a way to get a CD of "today's hits". Wikipedia lists 79 releases in the US series. There were different releases for different countries. For the first ten years or so of the US series they were all certified platinum.

Readering said...

Maybe that's when the first NTWICM was released in the US, but there have been many, many since. As someone who mostly listens to the local classical radio station, KUSC, I have long taken them out of the public library to get a quick sense of latest pop hits. Search on amazon.

Sally327 said...

No one will ever accuse Psaki of acting too white.

Kay said...

I’m very surprised there was only one album of the US edition of “Now….” because they used to play TV commercials for this series all the time here in the US.

MadisonMan said...

Now that's what I call music sounds a lot like Stars on 45 to me.

WWIII Joe Biden, Husk-Puppet + America's Putin said...

I know a couple who lived in Connecticut. She told me they hated it. She told me she thought everyone around her in Connecticut was superficial, shallow and snooty. They moved to Chicago.

Their moves were based on his work. They prefer Chicago.

Dagwood said...

I knew she had to be good at stroking something to have gotten her current job.

madAsHell said...

She no longer has the energy to swat away the staged questions.

Duke Dan said...

It’s the new incarnation of the K-Tel record.

Yancey Ward said...

Psaki has always struck me as a very dim bulb. Now, this may just be due to the dishonest pablum she is ordered to give to the press every single day, a press that with few exceptions even tries to question its truthfulness since January 20th 2021.

Tom T. said...

Not just in a sorority but the queen bee. She would have been in charge of making sure that none of the other girls were too fat or too dowdy or dating someone down-market. Imagine the stories we'd be hearing if she were a Republican.

Left Bank of the Charles said...

Boboland.

phantommut said...

I lived in New Haven for a while. What always bugged me about Connecticut were all the damned "shoppes."

Critter said...

Quit the swimming team but stayed crazy athletic. The first is code for she wasn't very fast in swimming and was surpassed by younger swimmers. The second is likely a compliment from a chubby non-athletic roomy. Both point to mediocre, which is what I see in unprepared Circle Back.

Critter said...

Quit the swimming team but stayed crazy athletic. The first is code for she wasn't very fast in swimming and was surpassed by younger swimmers. The second is likely a compliment from a chubby non-athletic roomy. Both point to mediocre, which is what I see in Circle Back.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

I hate this part right here...

Link

Mike (MJB Wolf) said...

Greenwich eh? I had a mean time there.