August 20, 2021

"Bioscleave sounds utterly insulting, like old people are babies. Then I looked it up. My lord! It's like old people are hamsters!"

Ridiculous! Hilarious! And who cleans that place? Especially of all the blood....  Take a look at that Bioscleave again. If they try to take you there... get out. I don't want your Hamster Habitat of Death. And I'm not charmed by your burbling about 'non-Western' ideas. I don't want your Bioscleave just like I don't want your acupuncture. I want an ultra-Western ultra-modern house to go with my ultra-Western modern medicine."


I looked it up this morning because I'm seeing in New York Magazine "Why Was It So Hard to Sell a House That Promised Eternal Life?":
“Oh no, it’s the Bioscleave House again,” a recent story on a Hamptons real-estate blog announced when it went back on the market this spring for $975,000 — a fire sale compared to the house’s asking price of $5.5 million in 2009. Rumors circulated that if the house couldn’t find an appreciative buyer, it would face the wreckers; developers saw more value in the one-acre site than in the bizarre building on it. A house meant to fortify eternal life was itself on the brink of death. It doesn’t seem like anyone has really lived there aside from short stays focused on experiencing the novelty of such a strange place. It was unlivable — and unsalable — as a house and existed as a precious (though not that precious, judging by the final price) art object, which is finally how it sold this summer.

Here's a big collection of images of Bioscleave. I think it would be a very cool AirBnB. Stay for a couple days maybe.

15 comments:

God of the Sea People said...

I'm not sure I would want to live forever if I had to live in that.

BarrySanders20 said...

Inspired by A Clockwork Orange? A violence of saturated colors that leave no respite for the senses. I don't see the Rocking Phallus sculpture though.

Dan from Madison said...

It is a teardown and will eventually sell for what the property underneath is worth.

rehajm said...

The only thing extraordinary about a million dollar tear down in the Hamptons is there's a house in he Hamptons that hasn't received historic preservation status and can be torn down...

Tina Trent said...

They have Reversible Destiny Lofts that sleep four people.

Many questions.

Whiskeybum said...

I've not heard the term "Bioscleave" before. If someone would have shown me those photos without any further information, told me that they were Bioscleaves, and then asked me to define what a Bioscleave was based only on the pictures, I would have said it was a habitat for adults who are still mentally at the kindergarten level.

Please pass the paste...

Temujin said...

I clicked onto your older post about the Bioscleave house and saw this line in bold, "sloping, textured floors". One knows idiocy immediately upon seeing it. Then, as to confirm my gut, I saw and listened to the architects in the video. Horrid people. These people should be confined (perhaps they have been by now- I did not pursue anymore info on them).

Anyone who has worked with, or seen older people move around would know that house presents more danger than sending a pit bull at them while they sit on their porch. Plus- there's the aesthetic. What the hell? You want your environment to be beautiful to you. You want it to please you, from your eyes on in. (if you don't, it might be one reason you're miserable). But Bioscleave has no redeeming value whatsoever- not aesthetically, and certainly not operationally. A home, your place, especially your 'final' place- the one you want to grow ultra-old in, should be pleasing, but also- easy to navigate.

My wife and I are not old. We're young and in our late 60s. We are both in great shape, active- both mentally and physically. And we moved a few years ago from a large multi-floored house with steps galore, and an angled, hilly brush-ridden backyard in Atlnata, to a single level, open floor plan home with a ton of natural light in sunny Florida. We love where we are and where we'll end up. That someone is willing to pay $950,000 for Bioscleave tells me that there is no end to human stupidity.

That said. I would have loved to have stayed there for a day or two in my psilocybin days.

wildswan said...

The basic principle to grasp:
Old age ain't for kids.

If you act like a kid you won't survive getting older and older. You won't anyhow.

Old age:
It ain't for kids.

YoungHegelian said...

Judging by the coloring scheme, it would be a great house for the Powerpuff Girls!

Omaha1 said...

The pictures of Bioscleave remind me of a McDonald's Play Space.

Sydney said...

The decor looks like the daycare center my kids used to attend.

Geoff M said...

I was thinking, "How bad could it be?". It was worse than I could have imagined. I've made prettier things as a kid with legos.

Big Mike said...

@rehajm (8:57), how about you don’t go giving anybody ideas.

Mikey NTH said...

I saw the pictures. It looked like a playground. I can see a bunch of pre-teen children playing in there, running up and down the undulating floor, swinging around on the poles, sitting down to snacks in the center and then repeating until it is time to go home.

Bunkypotatohead said...

Looks like a brothel for clowns.