June 7, 2021

"His wife said he used to tell about the time the musician Dave Van Ronk and other friends offered to take him out for soul food..."

"... a term he didn’t know. At the restaurant, when the collards and fatback, cornbread, fried pork chops and such arrived, his friends asked what he thought. 'Back home,' he told them, 'this is what we just call "food."'"

From "Patrick Sky, ’60s Folk Star and Later a Piper, Dies at 80 He was a part of the folk revival emanating from Greenwich Village, mixing melodic songs and satire. Then he became infatuated with the uilleann pipes" (NYT). 

Goodbye to Patrick Sky. He was a big favorite of mine in the 1960s, and I still have 2 albums of his that I could go search for it right now, but I've got Spotify, so "Patrick Sky" (the album) is already playing here. This is the one that begins with "Many a Mile" (famously covered by Buffy St. Marie). 

I saw Patrick Sky in concert once. He was very funny. He has beautiful love songs, but there were also comedy songs. I remember him launching into a song I'd never heard before: "There's a man who lives over the ocean/And who has got a great notion/That he is the World's Greatest Hope/He's Giovanni Montini, the Pope." This got huge laughs. It ended: "Giovanni Montini/You know who I meanee/The one with the beanie! Giovanni Montini, the Pope."

Listen to a live version of it here. Who sings about the Pope? It was quite absurd. I didn't even know the Pope's name was Giovanni Montini, but it had a musical lilt and you could do some rhymes with it.

Here's another comical song of Sky's, one that amused me a lot in the 1960s, "Separation Blues":

 

ADDED: I didn't follow him in his "Songs That Made America Famous" period. For a taste of that, try "Fight for Liberation." I could only get a few seconds into it:

In the draft board here we sit

Covered o'er with Nixon's shit

While our sweat is turning Agnew's filthy mill

And the people, as they pass

They jam Melvin up our ass

Well I guess we've had our god damn fucking fill

Painful, but I remember that pain. Melvin. Indeed.

3 comments:

Ann Althouse said...

George writes:

I’ve thought about the “Soul Food” concept for a long time. Like Patrick, my experience is that what gets called Soul Food is the same kind of food my mother and her Scots-Irish family from the sticks served.

I’m thinking this thought that it was an African American cuisine came from the Freedom Riders who came south to help in the civil rights movement. I’m thinking it’s because they didn’t venture to visit poor/rural whites (maybe understandably).

Ann Althouse said...

Ozymandias writes:

"Thanks for the post and vid of Patrick Sky. During my high school days in the mid-sixties, friends and I would go see him at the Café Wha? in the Village. He was a natural performer who always kept you smiling, including with that album-cover photo in which he is hanging from a tree by one arm. Pleasant memories."

Yeah, that album is the other album I have: "A Harvest of Gentle Clang." For some reason, that's not on Spotify.

Ann Althouse said...

portly pirate writes:

Angelo Giuseppe Roncalli - - John XXIII
Giovanni Batista Montini - - Paul VI
Albino Luciani - - John Paul I (the one-month pope)
Karol Wojtyla - - John Paul II
Joseph Ratzinger - - Benedict XVI
Jorge Maria Bergoglio - - Francis

In some Catholic religious orders, men and women who become monks and nuns sometimes choose a new name to signify that they are being born again into a new tradition - - the Carthusians, with probably the strictest rules of any religious order, leaves it up to those in charge of each Charterhouse (usually the master of novices) to choose new names for the monks and nuns.