April 25, 2021

"Why had the polyamorous community rephrased the rush of falling in love as 'new relationship energy' (NRE for short)?"

"Why would anyone endeavor to rebrand love into something like a start-up, complete with its own energized, abbreviated lingo? And how could Juhana encourage me to pursue other relationships? Did I truly inspire so little emotion he wouldn’t care if I dated someone else? 'I am willing to endure the discomfort,' he would reply, 'because you are worth it.' But why couldn’t he be willing to endure the discomfort of depriving himself of someone else? Why, I wanted to know, was one pain fundamentally more acceptable than the other?"

From "My Boyfriend Has Two Girlfriends. Should I Be His Third?/My mind could rationalize polyamory, but my heart rebelled" by Silva Kuusniemi (NYT). 

Spoiler alert: She rejects him. 

FROM THE EMAIL: Barbara writes;

When I was in college back in the '60s in Florida, a couple I knew decided that it was fine for the guy to have a girlfriend on the side, what with free love and all. It was so fine that the three of them moved into a three bedroom house together. After about a month of this, the first girlfriend put the second girlfriend's clothes in an old bathtub in the back yard and set them on fire. Then she--the first gf--jumped in her car and drove to Las Vegas, never to be seen again. That's a polyamorous story.

That makes me think of this old David Crosby song (originally from the 60s):

 

He says that song was "not the reason they threw me out of The Byrds": "They threw me out of The Byrds because I was an asshole."