April 30, 2019

Oops!

You know that I recently returned from a cross-country road trip.

fullsizeoutput_2f2b

Who knows what a long strange trip can do to your mind? I don't know all the things, but about an hour ago, 3 days after returning home, I noticed one thing.

I'd completely forgotten about the older-than-one-day comments that sit around in my "awaiting moderation" file! I'm not sure what jogged my memory, but I suddenly remembered. I think it was the ridiculous spam that was getting published in today's posts. Yes, that made me think about the moderation function.

There were hundreds of comments just sitting there, some fretting that they were doing something wrong and getting rejected. I'm really sorry. When you forget, you forget. Moderation is something that happens when I remember. I generally do it often throughout the day, but when traveling, I don't sit with my computer too much, and I don't go into the sort of idle mode where I poke around for more things to do.

I apologize! I genuinely value your comments. I was reading new comments as I traveled, but I really did lose track of the day-old-and-older comments that came in.

The photograph of the tree that symbolizes my twisted-up travel-mind is from the Realization Point trail near Boulder.

23 comments:

stevew said...

Re-entry can be difficult. Truth: I didn't realize you were still doing the moderation thing.

rcocean said...

You need to moderate your forgetfulness.

Nonapod said...

I see you deleted that hacked ATM card spam. Thanks.

George said...

A Biden moment

Ann Althouse said...

The vast majority of the comments come in within the first day, and those I review as they come in, often reading threads very carefully and responding to a lot of things.

Half of what goes into "awaiting moderation" is spam, and it's easy to delete. The real comments in moderation tend to be from the last day or two. One fix would be to have moderation on posts that are more than 2 days old or 3 days old, then my failure to moderate would be almost nothing. I might try that, but I don't like it to be noticeable that I'm traveling.

Ann Althouse said...

"I see you deleted that hacked ATM card spam. Thanks."

It's been on every post today. So stupid!

JRoberts said...

Boulder, Colorado. In July 1981 we were at Panorama Point in Boulder when I proposed to my now wife of 37 years.

Good memories.

rehajm said...

Knotty Pine!

Anne in Rockwall, TX said...

Did you save Arthur?

I might have missed you saying so.

Bruce Hayden said...

Good to know. Thanks. I had a long comment that seemed to have fallen into the bit bucket. One of the leftists here complained that I am long winded. But others seem appreciative, esp when talking about Spygate, which I think was the case in the comment that disappeared.

Ann Althouse said...

"Did you save Arthur?"

Yes!

Anne in Rockwall, TX said...

So happy that Arthur is now safe and sound living the proper life. Good work!

Anne in Rockwall, TX said...

Also, after rigorous testing, I have determine that the margherita is perfect for a juice cleanse day!

Anonymous said...

Now THAT’S an apology.

Yancey Ward said...

I think I made one comment that got caught up- when it didn't show up, I noticed that the post was over a day old, and then I avoided those posts the rest of the week. It usually isn't even a problem for me because I only comment on posts of the given day, or at most on the previous overnight thread. However, that one comment was on the overnight thread, but post had been up since 9 a.m. the previous day.

FullMoon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rusty said...


"I apologize! I genuinely value your comments. "
I'm blushing.

rcocean said...

And we value your blog.

But lets not get all weepy.

Maillard Reactionary said...

The tree is not twisted.

It is perfect for what it is, and especially, where it is. A perfect tree for that place.

The tree has more to tell you, personally and photographically, than you may imagine. After all, it is older than all of us, and has seen many things come and go.

Danno said...

Blogger George said...A Biden moment

I think it is more of a realizatiuon point.

Danno said...

tion

Ingachuck'stoothlessARM said...

Double A,
Did you do any Ansel-ie Adams-ish B & W photography of the natural wonders
while you were out there?
or at least convert a few-- would luv to see'em.

ps: there are supplements that can help with memory.
One of our cheerful staff could compile a list if you'd like.

Ingachuck'stoothlessARM said...

"Did you save Arthur?"
Yes!

but the reunion was a little rough--

A: "Well, well, well! Look who's back! Where the hell have you 2 been all this time?"
AA: "Shut up, Arthur-- we just got in the door after 1300 miles of driving."
A: "Well EXCUSE ME !!"
AA: "Yeah? Excuse US!! We cut our trip short to save your scrawny ass!!"
A: "Really?? Who's brilliant idea was it to leave me on the porch with a storm coming?

Talking to your houseplants can be beneficial, but try to avoid heated arguments