March 1, 2019

"I try not to get too New Age-y. I don’t talk about things being 'for a reason.' But I do think the more unexpected something is..."

"... the more there is to learn from it. In my case, what was it that made me skip down the hallway to the kitchen thinking I was fine when I’d been in a wheelchair six months earlier? It’s because I had certain optimistic expectations of myself, and I’d had results to bear out those expectations, but I’d had failures too. And I hadn’t given the failures equal weight."

Said Michael J. Fox, about breaking his arm, quoted in "Michael J. Fox on acting with Parkinson’s, taking the wrong roles and staying positive: ‘Until it’s not funny anymore, it is funny’" (NYT).

I also learned that Fox's brother-in-law is the writer Michael Pollan. Pollan's latest book is about psychedelic drugs, so the interviewer asks Fox if he's used any psychedelics. He says:
No. But one of the things that happened when I got my spinal surgery was, when I came out of the anesthetic, I was hallucinating like crazy. I thought the coat slumped on the floor against a chair was a gorilla; the floor was a miasma of swirling proteins. Really weird. So I certainly related to parts of that book. I liked the idea in the book that it’s possible that powerful psychedelic experiences are basically brain farts, but that doesn’t mean we have to devalue their importance....

13 comments:

Laslo Spatula said...

I was sure Althouse would've tied the quote "‘Until it’s not funny anymore, it is funny’" with the "Era of It's Not Funny".

Perspective, context, etc.

I am now confused and ashamed.

I am Laslo.

Quaestor said...

...the floor was a miasma of swirling proteins.

The brain that can speak like that offhand is in not too bad a shape.

Birkel said...

Speaking of health issues:

How are you recovering, Althouse?

traditionalguy said...

When the unconscious mind becomes conscious. Religious Drugs that come with no guarantees sound like risky gambles to me. Why not stick to the Spirit of Holiness Himself. He guarantees to do you no harm and give you a future.

Jim at said...

I lost any and all respect for Michael J. Fox when he deliberately avoided taking his medication - to garner additional sympathy - when testifying before Congress in support of harvesting dead baby parts.

Fernandinande said...

when I came out of the anesthetic, I was hallucinating like crazy.

I was just dealing with someone who did that, and was a bit "off" for weeks afterwards. So was the other person ...

Earnest Prole said...

Pause for a moment to honor his performance in Back to the Future, the greatest motherfucking movie ever.

Donna B. said...

Without occasional brain farts, our heads might explode.

Sebastian said...

"the floor was a miasma of swirling proteins"

Yeah, that is weird!

Quaestor said...

What is the impact of brain farts on global climate change?

Perhaps we should ban AOC?

wild chicken said...

"the floor was a miasma of swirling proteins"

Never heard that effect described so well, if at all.

Because words just can't describe, man...

walter said...

Brain farts are funny...until brain farts aren't funny anymore.

Anonymous said...

Do brain farts stink?