August 23, 2018

"My mother always called me plain. She saw this as a flaw to be corrected. She wanted the whole world dressed in dazzling color—even me."

"I never quite complied. I have the fashion sense of Vladimir and Estragon and the panache of my New England nana. When left to my devices, I choose to be unobtrusive. I choose gray. It suits my diffidence and soothes my extroversion. It is the color, rather than the sound, of silence. It sits with monkish, folded hands and asks for nothing. It never shouts. It never pushes.... A color psychology article on Bustle tells me that I fear commitment. 'Grey is emotionless,' it says, 'boring, detached, and indecisive. Those who say their favorite color is grey don’t tend to have any major likes or dislikes.'... Lovers of gray 'lack the passion that comes with loving a real color.' And yet I yearn for it. I fill my drawers with gray brassieres. I dress my bed in sheets and duvets like a day with all the blue drained out of it. The tidiness, the monochrome inspire peace.... As the black-and-white photographer Henri Cartier-Bresson once said to the color photographer William Eggleston: 'You know, William, color is bullshit.'... Dorothy may tumble, tornadic, into Technicolor, but still she always wishes to go home.... I sometimes drive an hour to the ocean, hoping I will find it thoroughly obscured by fog. I am not a melancholic or a bore, but I want a break from all the rainbow violence in the world...."

From "Ode to Gray" by Meghan Flaherty (in The Paris Review).



You know, William, color is bullshit.

24 comments:

Ann Althouse said...

If this makes you think I need to buy a gray brassiere, I found a nice one at Amazon, here.

Bay Area Guy said...

Who are these bland, dreary people, and where is Peter Max when you really need him?

daskol said...

Liminal: what a neat word, never seen it outside "subliminal."

They all wear grey in in this book: The shocking and edgy memoirs of a dedicated enemy of fashion and the lead singer of the Kinks is written by a nameless, faceless writer hired by an Orwellian entity called The Corporation....

daskol said...

Not in the brassiere market, but gray jeans are the best jeans. When they're new and dark they're dressy, and when they fade they're casual but not overly so like blue jeans.

mezzrow said...

Gray. Grey. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

tim in vermont said...

Creepy! She should be wearing a madras mini-skirt and white go-go boots!

Tom T. said...

At some point, you owe it to yourself to let go of the rebellion against your parents and just start living for yourself.

gilbar said...

have to admit, i really Really liked (jennifer) grey, before she cut off her nose to spite her face

robother said...

Buddha Family.

MacMacConnell said...

Sounds like the Woody Allen movie "Interiors"

MacMacConnell said...

A men's charcoal suit is is equivalent to a women's little black dress and easiest to accessories. Accessories can make it understated or you can put on the dog to the nines.

M Jordan said...

My beef with color is that there aren’t enough of them. Basically you’ve got three choices, RGB, which you can mix together for some pseudo-choices. We need about twenty completely new ones, Crebenta, or Zidstallza. Something new and vibrant.

Henry said...

I sometimes drive an hour to the ocean, hoping I will find it thoroughly obscured by fog.

I love that.

I too enjoy the world made gray by rain, snow, dusk, road salt, and age.

Fernandinande said...

William Eggleston; at first I thought they were referring to Edgerton, the high-speed/strobe photography guy (nuclear explosions), but Eggleston has some cool colour pics of pre-Era-of-Trump western Trump's America.

Dust Bunny Queen said...

Gray is a wonderful background or base color for decorating and in clothing.

Gray sofa with brightly colored throw pillows and accessories. You can change the color of your accessories at any time and the base gray sofa will still work. Dove gray walls and anything will compliment. Salmon pink, orange, green, blue, yellow.

One of my favorite combinations in clothing is a soft grey with bright canary yellow.

Too much gray and you will look washed out or feel down in a drab environment.

However, Gray/Grey is very versatile.

daskol said...

Besides gray and a splash of color, gray and brown work together well too for a subdued look.

Dust Bunny Queen said...

I sometimes drive an hour to the ocean, hoping I will find it thoroughly obscured by fog.

My stepmother has the most beautiful painting of fog. Similar to this one

I find it mysterious, thought provoking, peaceful, curious and just wonderful. Some people don't "get it" or think it a stupid painting because there is nothing in it. You either like it or you don't. I love it.

Henry said...

One of my favorite combinations in clothing is a soft grey with bright canary yellow.

Here's my version.

Bill Peschel said...

I can appreciate fog, just not to the exclusion of everything.

Anthony said...

Gray is my favorite color.

Christy said...

Grey is a very elegant colour, second only to black, and affordable to accessorize with silver jewelry. Alas, the aging skin and hair no longer support it.

D 2 said...

You're so gray you probably think this world ain't about you.

Deb said...

I wear gray all the time; I love gray. To me, it's very soothing. The dress I wore to my daughter's wedding was gray. I w

Deb said...

My hair is gray too and I really resent these young girls coloring their hair gray. Gray hair is something you earn if you live long enough.