And a effective perception that an out is right there waiting to be had:Payton Tolle is the gift that keeps on giving 😠pic.twitter.com/jaPwFhr3i8
— MLB (@MLB) September 6, 2026
1000 IQ play here by Joe Mack pic.twitter.com/kDTsrdZpPS
— Miami Marlins (@Marlins) September 6, 2026

31 comments:
I made that same mistake in grade school and turned to second. Got tagged out. Learned the rules of baseball.
I just see a guy turn around and walk back. Does he have to turn the other way? No.
We're seeing so many bush league mistakes this year, by players that seem strangely unmotivated to pay attention to what they're doing. Is it just because they're being clipped and re-shown? They seem to be mostly batting and base-running errors, not defensive.
I've never liked that rule, or rather the interpretation of it. I think a very clear intent to run to second base should be a requisite for enforcing the rule. Unless you clearly start to run to second base, the batter should be able to return to first, IMO.
The batter is allowed to run past or through first base. He may then turn toward second base, he just cannot a make distinct step, feint, or lunge indicating an intent to run for second; if that occurs, in the umpire's judgment, then the overrun protection is lost and the fielder can tag the runner out.
I mostly concur with the ruling based on the feet as he turned. He appears to dig in like he is ready to dart and then stops. It's a faint, and he surrendered the attempt to run to second. However, I agree with others that I don't like that interpretation of the rules, and while I don't think there is anything in the rules about crossing the baseline; I would like to see that as part of the rule rather than just turning left.
…me too Dave. Later I got my revenge on another base runner what did the same thing..
"I mostly concur with the ruling based on the feet as he turned. He appears to dig in like he is ready to dart and then stops. It's a faint, and he surrendered the attempt to run to second. However, I agree with others that I don't like that interpretation of the rules...."
I LOVE it! Especially against the Cubs.
He's thinking about a future with the Bananas
That was a great heads play up by the catcher.
Heads up play.
Tolle, the rookie push-up pitcher is a character. He’s very much in line with another beantown legend, Bill "Spaceman" Lee, the “eccentric pitcher for the Boston Red Sox during the 1970s.”
Tolle loves the game, and his enthusiasm breathes life and excitement into the clubhouse and out to the fans at Fenway. He doesn’t look it, but he’s only 23. A ripe old age for a rookie.
Peyton Tolle has to do lots of pushups so that he can lift that 'stache off the pillow when he wakes up in the morning.
I think Leland is right. He stutter-steps and turns towards second, and then is either coached or simply decides the first baseman is likely to make the throw to second before he can reach the bag so he hop-turns to face foul territory before sauntering back. He does not stop facing the outfield and immediately turn around, nor make a continuous circuit to the left to return to first base.
Another reason why the Cubs are finishing second to the Brewers for the fourth straight year.
He made zero progress toward second, not even a single step. The rest is mind-reading.
The rule should not involve trying to know what he's thinking. At least make a requirement to cross the foul line toward the base. That's some proof of intent.
Wow, so anything you do outside of the field of play is also turning towards the base. That's weird
"He made zero progress toward second, not even a single step. The rest is mind-reading."
It's not mind-reading to notice that he looked to see where the ball was. Why might a runner do this?
Understand why the rule is there, but if the man never crosses the foul line, he should be safe.
Praise to the catcher for seeing what was going on and getting an out.
"Why might a runner do this?"
It's his job to always know where the ball is. There could be another throwing error making it appropriate and legal to take another base. That doesn't mean there was here or he should, and so he didn't. You have to do some mind reading to get farther than that. It's a subjective dumb rule the way it stands.
"You have to do some mind reading to get farther than that."
Yes. An internet search on the topic shows (among other responses) this result:
"Umpires' Responsibilities Regarding Runners Overrunning First Base
Umpires play a crucial role in determining the outcome of plays involving runners who overrun first base. Their primary obligation is to assess the runner's actions and intentions after overrunning the base."
"Runner's actions and intentions."
Dumb or not, it appears umpires are tasked with that job.
A.I. would rule him safe, because A.I. knows it can't read minds.
Sometime back, A.I. told me someone famous who had died a couple of days before was still alive and doubled down on it when confronted with its error. A.I. knows lots of things.
Well, it is trying to be human after all.
For better or worse, there will always be judgement calls when it comes to intent.
From MLB Umpire Manual...
"When a determination is made that a pitcher has intentionally thrown a pitch at a batter, the umpire must either warn or eject."
It's called BASEball for a reason. The players relationship to the base matters. He can't go wandering away or he can be tagged. There's a special privilege to keep running after first base and first base only, but it's a limited privilege and it doesn't include anything extra. It's just to let him run up to the base (and past) the base at full speed. After he's done that, he needs to get right back to the base to be safe. If he's fooling around out there, thinking of running, looking for an advantage, he's like a runner preparing to steal a base. He's off the base.
^^^ That's as good an explanation as any, I'd think.
Batter moved toward first. Don’t look for the ball. Look at the first base coach
He moved to round toward second. Basic blunder.
Sure looked like the guy had already stepped off second base when he caught the ball.
Post a Comment
Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.