Steven Taylor tries his hand at a so-called "fun meme," originally suggested by Stephen Bainbridge: "10 Things I Wouldn’t Do Again If I Could Go Back in Time." In other words, things I wish I'd never done -- because I don't think we're supposed to take account of time travel perplexities. Who knows? If Taylor hadn't bought that Dodge Caravan, maybe all sorts of terrible things would have happened -- things more terrible than having a Dodge Caravan.
But I'm not doing this meme, because if I start listing things I regret, it will just get ugly. I'm not going to put all the things I'm ashamed of in one spot, for easy reference.
I had been thinking -- a propos of my earlier list of things I've never done -- of listing things I happen to have done once. This list might include things I did and regretted doing or hated doing or just things I happened only to do once, like riding a motorcycle. So let's see if I can come up with 10 Things I've Only Done Once:
1. Ridden a motorcycle.
2. Not kept cash that I found lying abandoned on the ground.
3. Broken a bone.
4. Ridden on the tailgate of a station wagon with my legs dangling over the edge.
5. Attempted to make myself vomit after overeating. (Couldn't do it.)
6. Talked about dieting with a Supreme Court Justice.
7. Set a man's hair on fire. (An accident! It flared up and burned out without him noticing.)
8. Not acted entirely submissive in an encounter with the police. (I was 18.)
9. Gotten robbed.
10. Gotten married.