April 13, 2023

Bob Dylan broke from his well-established "Rough and Rowdy Ways" tour set list and played The Grateful Dead song "Truckin'"....

... last night in Tokyo, Japan:



It says that's the first time Dylan has ever played "Truckin’." "Truckin'" is one of the songs he wrote about in "The Philosophy of Modern Song": 
“Arrows of neon, flashing marquees, Dallas and a soft machine, Sweet Jane, vitamin C, Bourbon Street, bowling pins, hotels windows,” Dylan writes, “and the classic line, ‘What a long, strange trip it’s been.’ A thought that anybody can relate to.’" 
Dylan is a longtime fan of the Grateful Dead. He toured with them in 1987 and considered Jerry Garcia a good friend. 
“There’s no way to measure his greatness or magnitude as a person or as a player,” Dylan told Rolling Stone when Garcia died in 1995. “I don’t think eulogizing will do him justice. He was that great – much more than a superb musician with an uncanny ear and dexterity. He is the very spirit personified of whatever is muddy river country at its core and screams up into the spheres. He really had no equal.” 

The very spirit personified of whatever is muddy river country and screams up into the spheres!

That's throwing me off my theory that Dylan has a plan to sing all 66 songs from "The Philosophy of Modern Song." I would love to hear Dylan's "Volare" and "Gypsies, Tramps & Thieves" and "Poor Little Fool" and all the rest.

18 comments:

Ann Althouse said...

You know, it's absolutely pure chance that Bob Dylan and The Grateful Dead came up together in 2 posts this morning.

I am just following my standard blogging method. Not trying to make it a "theme day," as I occasionally do. Could do that now, Googling the 2 names and seeing what else might come up. But so far this morning, I was just watching the river flow.

WWIII Joe Biden, Husk-Puppet + America's Putin said...

I cannot understand a word... but it does sound good.

john said...

His backup group is always so tight. Dylan's singing has been an annoying overtone on compelling rhythms and nice guitar riffs.

That said, he sounds a lot better on this song than usual. Maybe he had an operation. Or stopped smoking.

Amexpat said...

After Garcia passed away in the 90's, Dylan did a great version of "Friend of the Devil" for many of his shows - one that screamed up into the spheres.

tim in vermont said...

I wish he had done this when he was younger and could still sing, or I hope that a professionally produced version comes out, as it is, it sounds like some of my buddies playing in the barn, when everybody is high and people have been camping in tents for two days, and are each down about a quart of blood to the mosquitos, which deficit they have been topping up with beer.

Jeff Vader said...

Grateful Dead played dylan better than he ever could, guy could write though

Joe Smith said...

Great artwork on the still screen.

Not a huge Dylan fan, but seeing him in Japan would be awesome...

cassandra lite said...

I would pay a lot to hear Dylan croon Nel Blu Dipinto Di Blu (meaning, the Italian version, not the Americanized Volare).

Take it, Roberto:
"Penso che un sogno così non ritorni mai più
Mi dipingevo le mani e la faccia di blu
Poi d'improvviso venivo dal vento rapito
E incominciavo a volare nel cielo infinito..."

rcocean said...

Dylan is an incredibly lucky guy. First, at his age to be healthy and playing music and second to have people who want to listen to him.

Of course, partly its his singing. He never was any good, so the decline due to old age has gone unnoticed.

Eva Marie said...

“That's throwing me off my theory that Dylan has a plan to sing all 66 songs from "The Philosophy of Modern Song."
That’s a great theory.

John henry said...

All I can hear is the drums.

Slight, but only slight, exaggeration.

Seriously, the mix is horrible.

John Henry

boatbuilder said...

Great song. Dylan can't sing.

Smilin' Jack said...

Grotesque desecration of a great song.

JAORE said...

That ain't a tribute to Garcia.

My wife and I had tickets to see Dylan a few years ago along with several friends. A hard commitment made me skip, so we gave the ticket to her sister. Dylan fans all.

My wife and friends declared it the worst concert they had ever attended. Took my sister-in-law a while to forgive me.

That video convinces me he's gone way down hill from there. Although I credit LOUSY sound recording for a small part of why this stinks.

If Dylan appeared today without benefit of lingering fandom he couldn't get a gig at a coffee house.

Lurker21 said...

They do say that nobody does good work after getting the Nobel Prize.

Fritz said...

He's no Bob Weir.

Unknown said...

Bob needs The Dead's sound man and equipment. The GD and now the Dead have one of the cleanest,clearest, most remarkable sound of any one that I have ever heard. Tom B

Iman said...

The two major disappointments in my concert attendance over the decades are The Clash (Hollywood 1982) and Bob Dylan in 2009. Both bands sounded like they’d rather be anywhere else and FU if you feel shortchanged.

Not good, as they all are faves of mine as artists.