February 8, 2023

What a cool art project: A realistic-looking action-figure set of The DiGrasso Men from "The White Lotus."


At Reddit, someone asks "What's your method here? Kit bashing other toys or are you like molding yourself? Either way this is such cool art!" 

The artist answers "They're 3d sculpts that I do in Blender and then 3d print and paint. The heads are entirely my own designs and then the bodies are usually scans of existing toys that I alter(I like to call that digital kitbashing haha)." 

The execution is great, and I love the idea that there would be action figures of the characters from "The White Lotus," though the comedy of unusual choices for action figures has been around for decades.

By the way, I am such a "White Lotus" fan that I not only rewatched both seasons and watched both seasons of Mike White's earlier show "Enlightened," I rewatched the season of "Survivor" where he was a contestant, and I've started reading books I see recommended in "Mike White's Top 10 Books." I chose the book that someone I know in real life has leaned on me to read. Him, I resisted. But somehow Mike White wants me to read it, and I believe. 

The person I know in real life insisted that I would love this author because I would feel that this is the way I would write if I wrote literary novels. Mike White, on the other hand, said:
"The most uncanny and sober of fever dreams. What the fuck are these books? Why did I chew through them – as if they were the most compelling of murder mysteries – yet nothing ever happens and I can’t remember a thing after putting them down? Dissociative perambulations but written with such urgency. These books cast a spell on me. Maybe Rachel Cusk is a witch." 

If you're wondering whether I'm having the feeling that the person I know in real life said I would have, the answer is no. But sometimes I hit sentences that amuse me to imagine being the person who wrote them and to wonder about this person I know who thinks this is just the sort of thing I'd come up with:

I remembered then an evening I’d spent in a bar a few years ago, with a group of people that included a married couple I didn’t know. The woman kept identifying attractive girls and drawing her husband’s attention to them; they sat there and discussed the attributes of the various girls, and were it not for the grimace of utter desperation I glimpsed on the woman’s face when she thought no one was looking, I would have believed this was an activity both of them enjoyed.

It sounds like "White Lotus"!  

11 comments:

Dave Begley said...

Now do Taylor Sheridan.

Duke Dan said...

There is a sizeable group of Star Trek fandom that does this also to make characters never released in the playmates toy line on the 90s. Combination kit bashing, sculpting, and 3D printing. And then they also 3D model and print just about every ship interior set that never was a play set either. Requires skills I don’t have.

Jamie said...

Huh. I read White's one-paragraph (excerpted?) reviews of his favorite books, and was struck by two things. First, his choice of favorites sounds absolutely awful to me, from his descriptions - not that they don't sound interesting, just that he apparently uses a completely different set of criteria from mine to choose a book to return to over and over (if that's what he means by "favorite"; it may well not be). Almost every book sounds like a huge downer - again, of course, not necessarily a reason not to read a book, or even to appreciate it as a great book, but not the things I'd want to revisit. (No, I'm not talking about books in which everyone lives happily ever after. But some overall sense of redemption, uplift, or sympathy for the human condition gives me a reason to reread a book, since I tend to reread in darker moments.)

Second, he sure has a high opinion of his own judgment. He describes several books in his list in "this is THE EPITOME of..." terms. I suppose unshakeable self-confidence is a plus in his line.

Kate said...

3D sculpting in Blender takes some skill. What a great product.

Mike White wrote and acted in the Jack Black vehicle "School of Rock". It's a tribute to an actor's specific talents, and it's well done.

richlb said...

I was introduced to the oddness of Mike White through the indie film "Chuck and Buck". I don't recommend it to just anyone. But if you can handle the subject it is a well told story.

Temujin said...

Well...I guess you have to really be a fan. An obsessed fan.

rehajm said...

We made an action figure of a staffer one time as a gift- we altered an existing figure. I guess what we did has a name…

My wife feels no shame in pointing out attractive women in a bar to me. In my best George Costanza Was that wrong?

I think the politics has destroyed episodic television for me. That 90s show has been fun even though the new kids are too woke for the 90s…

dbp said...

"The woman kept identifying attractive girls and drawing her husband’s attention to them; they sat there and discussed the attributes of the various girls..."

I'm certain that I've read this quote before, maybe some post on Althouse where it wasn't a quote, but an observation which either happened IRL or in her imagination.

rcocean said...

I hope you like the book. Frankly, White's descriptions of his "TOp 10 Books" turned me off:
For example:

Oh God, this book. It almost made me a believer in middle American Christian goodness. Talk about a feat of imagination and compassion. There’s something about the voice of John Ames that makes me cry just thinking about it. He is a fiction but I don’t care, I love him. Glory be to God.”

I"m halfway tempted to read it, just to see how horrible it is, and confirm my belief that White has terrible taste. after all, he's a Hollywood writer.

Bill Peschel said...

I'm in the mood to expose myself to something new, so I downloaded "The Poetics of Space" and found two of the books ("Gilead" and "The Book of Disquiet") at my local library. I'm surprised they didn't have the Cusk book; they have her others (wait a minute, it's not "Outline Trilogy," it's "Outline" and two other titles, they have it.

And, yeah, his "It almost made me a believer in middle American Christian goodness." makes me think he's never met any. I have, but I don't live in Hollywood. There was an old lady at the Episcopal Church in York, S.C. She lived a hard life with an abusive alcoholic husband. She was a lovely woman who let us store our goods when we were moving away in her empty trailer on her spread (by that, I mean the trailer 16-wheelers haul).

Then there's the relative who's a Lutheran who visits my wife's parents regularly, helped take care of the old man until he died, handled his pensions (including wrangling with the city because his paperwork was so old it wasn't digitized), and has been taking care of another relative dying by inches of cancer. She's amazing.

Narr said...

I know some people who might be described as exemplifying "middle American Christian goodness," some of whom aren't even Christian.

I'm old enough to remember the first GI Joe action figures, and was an early purchaser. A few years later my friend Kenny and I were setting them up, out of uniform and in obscene poses, trailing streams of toilet paper, for the benefit of little brothers and cleaning ladies.

Good times.