December 23, 2022

"Kareem Rahma, a New York–based comedian, hops in the back of a cab with two camerapersons.... 'Take me to your favorite place'..."

"... Rahma instructs the man behind the wheel as a percussive score strikes up, 'and keep the meter running.'... As they break bread, [Kareem] Rahma peppers the cabbies with questions about how long they’ve been driving and where they’re from... Rahma, who has a thick mustache, rogue curls, and a Nolita Dirtbag–lite aesthetic, is always curious, never pretentious, and often funny. At the end of each episode, he takes out a wad of cash and doles out hundreds of dollars to each driver—a welcome sight to taxi drivers after the siege of Uber and Lyft—topped off with a generous tip. ... Keep the Meter Running... quickly became one of my favorite new shows of 2022."

Vanity Fair shares. 

Feel free to watch "Keep the Meter Running" — but I'm warning you: It's on TikTok!

13 comments:

Kate said...

I'm with Rebel in the overnight cafe. Worrying about China/TikTok is like complaining that the orchestra on Titanic wasn't in tune.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

There’s a glut of Lyft and Uber now, driving earnings for long time drivers like me down to about 30c a mile. I’m renting a hybrid and doing Amazon Flex to help make ends meet.

See r/Lyftdrivers

Kevin Rogers said...

Loved watching Kareem. The new Charles Karalt..

Kevin Rogers said...

Loved watching Kareem. The new Charles Karalt..

lonejustice said...

I don't usually like TikTok videos, but these are really good.

Howard said...

Worrying about China/TicTok is like worrying about Y2K. You people have devolved into cheese eating surrender Monkees at best and quislings by proxy at worse.

Temujin said...

Thanks for the warning. I'll watch it with my anti-Chinese infiltration metal helmet on.

Wince said...

but I'm warning you: It's on TikTok!

Isn't there's a difference between watching TikTok videos on your browser and installing the TikTok app?

That's why I appreciate Althouse's curated links that I can reach on my browser. I can watch those videos without installing the app.

Isn't the app what opens the surveillance door? Hence, the reason why TikTok pushes you in the direction of installing the app each time you watch a browser-liked video, or wish to search TikTok videos for yourself.

Wince said...

***browser-linked video***

Kay said...

Wince said...
Isn't there's a difference between watching TikTok videos on your browser and installing the TikTok app?

That's why I appreciate Althouse's curated links that I can reach on my browser. I can watch those videos without installing the app.

Isn't the app what opens the surveillance door? Hence, the reason why TikTok pushes you in the direction of installing the app each time you watch a browser-liked video, or wish to search TikTok videos for yourself.

12/23/22, 8:50 AM


There is a difference, in that installing the app allows it to collect even more data on you, but just like any other app, it will still collect your data even if you only visit through a browser.

Joe Smith said...

Won't watch it, but it sounds like a great idea for a show...

Josephbleau said...

I am sure watching this would raise my endorphins level a bit, but not as much as watching an old MASH rerun.

The Vault Dweller said...

It's on TikTok!

Althouse confirmed as Manchurian Blogger.