July 6, 2021

A view of the Over Lode trail in Blue Mound State Park.

IMG_5783D

This is designed as a mountain bike trail — on the difficult/very difficult level — but I love it as a hiking trail. It's too challenging for me to mountain bike. It's funny how hard it is to take a still photograph of a trail in the woods. I don't know how to make it look as steep as it is.

You might think it's bad sharing a trail with mountain bikers, but it's not. At least not in a place like this, where there are few people out there at the same time. I only saw one other walker, and maybe there were 10 bikers in the space of 4 miles. You can tell when bikes are catching up to you, you can easily step to the side, and they're always nice and, when they pass, they say "thanks" and maybe some other pleasantry like "Have a nice hike."

3 comments:

Ann Althouse said...


LA_Bob writes:

I'm sure some of your readers have sent technical explanations of why your "steep hill" picture looks so disappointingly flat. It's still a nice picture. It just doesn't convey what you see in real life.

Alas, it's just the limitation of the ordinary camera lens treating all things distant as smaller, even when the "distant" is up high. For the DSLR user, the tilt-and-shift lens can solve the problem. I don't recall if you use a cellphone as a camera, but I suppose eventually cellphones might include tilt-and-shift technology. Who knows?

Here are a couple of videos about tilting and shifting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvV5sINKnT8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB8LzBTLTf4


Thanks.

I'm just using my iPhone. Don't really want to carry anything of any weight on these walks. Woods are pretty, but not photogenic.

Ann Althouse said...

Curious George writes:

"“I don't know how to make it look as steep as it is.” Seems no one does. The one thing mentioned every year on The Masters telecast is you get no idea how hilly the course is, or the steepness of the greens, from TV."

I respond: Yes, I've never played golf but I'd see it on TV then ended up becoming a spectator at a number of PGA tournaments. I was really struck by the dimensionality of the greens and how difficult that makes putting. You can easily see it in person and you can't see it at all on TV.

Ann Althouse said...

Maybe they could superimpose a grid on the image to reveal the topography.