June 16, 2021

"We talk about 'old movies,' but I like to think of movies that come out today as 'old,' because they come from an industry that’s been around for over a century."

"I’d rather talk about movies from the 1920s as 'young movies.' It can be exciting to see the medium in its youth, when the whole idea of a movie was more fresh and new, not as weighed down by the accumulation of influences and expectations." 

Writes John Althouse Cohen as he begins a blog called "101 Years of Movies" (subtitle: "My favorite movies of each year from 1920 to 2021").

His choices for years 1920 and 1921 are already up. I know he's put a lot of movie-watching and thought into this project and these are genuinely personal choices. 

ADDED: John writes: 

My goal is to be positive about the movies on this list, not to criticize any other movies or to suggest that my taste is better than anyone else’s. I hope this website inspires other people to make their own list and to explore more movies.

So there's no reason to argue with him about his choice. Just follow his example and make your own choice. Is there some 1920 or 1921 movie that you've put above his choice? Have you seen "Way Down East" and "The Kid"? Maybe you adore "The Sheik"... and "The Mask of Zorro."

1 comment:

Ann Althouse said...

Susan writes:

"I’d rather talk about movies from the 1920s as 'young movies.' It can be exciting to see the medium in its youth, when the whole idea of a movie was more fresh and new, not as weighed down by the accumulation of influences and expectations."

This framing reminded me of something Henry Adams wrote about Chartres:

"To others, the Gothic seems hoary with age and decrepitude, and its shadows mean death. What is
curious to watch is the fanatical conviction of the Gothic enthusiast, to whom the twelfth century means exuberant youth."

Henry Adams - Monte-Saint-Michel and Chartres

I've never achieved such a vision of that ancient cathedral, but the thought has long intrigued me. Nice to see it applied to another art form.