August 27, 2020

"The queen of coming is going. At the end of July, Betty Dodson was admitted to a hospital following complications from failing organs."

"She is in the Riverside Premier Rehabilitation and Healing Center in Manhattan with around two to three weeks to live, according to her doctors. And yet she has chosen to die as she lived: outrageously. This Sunday I attended one of her solo sex classes with a difference. At 4 p.m. ET, 55 women from around the world checked in for a Zoom circle jerk in honor of the self-styled 'rowdy cowgirl' from Wichita, Kansas. Visuals were a shadowy checkerboard of knees splayed, breasts old and young, vibrators and vulvas, hips pressing down into pillows.... The last time I saw Betty was at her New York home in January 2019. Betty was 89 at the time, but we drank two and a half bottles of Veuve Clicquot between us, smoked a couple of joints, and spent the night swapping sex gossip until she finally keeled over at midnight on the carpet of her living room A.K.A 'the Temple Of The Goddess'—the location of her now-legendary masturbation master classes, which has witnessed thousands of orgasms over the years. She refused to let me help her get up, so I watched her crawl to a nearby chair and use it to gradually right herself.... In a way, Betty really has been preparing to die her whole life. 'We need to embrace death like it’s our final orgasm,' she told me when I first interviewed her in 2014....  Betty had observed something from being present at the hospital death of her beloved mother. 'The top half of her body suddenly lifted up and then fell back,' she writes... 'It wasnʼt a disturbing sight at all. It was as though death had come to her as a final orgasm.'... In her seventies (a decade she named 'the youth of old age') she took a lover, Eric Amaranth, who was in his twenties. It was a 'fabulous' 10 years but she said that when she turned 80 she knew she had to give him up. 'I didn’t want to turn into Hugh Hefner.'"

From "How Is Betty Dodson, the Queen of Female Masturbation, Dying? Not Quietly" (The Daily Beast).

32 comments:

Iman said...

What. Teh. Fuck.
Different strokes for very different folks

Sebastian said...

"masturbation master classes"

Who knew?

Wince said...

She should have married Ernest Borgnine.

"I just shook his hand!"

MayBee said...

At 4 p.m. ET, 55 women from around the world checked in for a Zoom circle jerk

Nope

BUMBLE BEE said...

Lotta JerkOffs in the world, eh?

mezzrow said...

"I didn’t want to turn into Hugh Hefner."

Too late. Plus, she refers to Hefner like he's something bad.

That's not very open-minded if you ask me.

rehajm said...

C'est la grande mort

bagoh20 said...

Now do Louis C.K..

Dave Begley said...

'"We need to embrace death like it’s our final orgasm."

Put that on her headstone!

Question for women here: Do you need instruction on this solo activity? Is it graded? Can it be improved with instruction?

Mike (MJB Wolf) said...

Great opening line! Not an interesting article after that, but whatever. I guess some really elderly people aren’t dying of COVID after all.

Mark O said...

Ew.

Temujin said...

Not much really one can say to this. New York sophistication? Sorry to see the city go down like this. Heh.

Ray said...


They can't fertilize the house plants like Harvey Weinstein.

William said...

When I was younger, I would have been more supportive of her position. With age comes wisdom, however, and I now realize that the most fulfilling form of self indulgence is eating lots of BBQ. Not just brisket either. Pulled chicken is good too and, at a certain age, easier to accomplish than choking the chicken.....Well, she did live a long life and to better effect than most of the BLM protesters.

Charlie said...

"a Zoom circle jerk".....AKA a regular Monday staff meeting at my printing company.

Jamie said...

Can it be improved with instruction?

Well, with practice, certainly. And, um, possibly with better equipment.

Skeptical Voter said...

Organ failure? Maybe battery failure.

jaydub said...

When I saw this was from the Daily Beast, I was afraid it was going to be some type of culturally repulsive article that might sully their reputation. Turns out it was entirely compatible with their reputation.

Yancey Ward said...

Damn, in her seventies she must have been really vibrant.

Narr said...

How many times have I been lonely in this vale of tears, with only Rosey Palm for a friend?

Narr
(More times than was fair, really)

Unknown said...

You should have seen her in the '70's when she was touring the country with her fifteen foot high images of women's vulvas. She is/was an awesome sex positive icon. So sad to see her go - I thought she would live forever!

Ice Nine said...

Well, who doesn't like getting the ol' rocks off now and then, but such fixation on masturbation as this by a matured adult - as the focus of one's life - is the pinnacle of retarded development.

Joe Smith said...

It's heartwarming when nymphomaniacs can earn a living doing what they love.

But if I ever visited her home I think I'd bring my own towel to sit on...

Joe Smith said...

Oh, oh!

Here's an easy one...

She must have been great at fishing, because she was a master baiter!

WWIII Joe Biden, Husk-Puppet + America's Putin said...

yuck.

Iman said...

I see potential for an Energizer Bunny tv commercial that incorporates this womyn's life's work.

pacwest said...

Nice work if you can get it.

mikee said...

William, the barbecue of a whole hog or a whole steer is the epitome of slow roasted smoky meat. Find a way to experience one or the other, and your brisket and chicken plates will be put away in memory as what you ate before you discovered BBQ.

mikee said...

And now that I have finished with my orgasmic posting, let me wish this woman a great afterlife, where the champaign never runs out, goes flat, or gets warm, and where getting up off the floor is completely optional.

Joe Smith said...

"And now that I have finished with my orgasmic posting, let me wish this woman a great afterlife, where the champaign never runs out, goes flat, or gets warm, and where getting up off the floor is completely optional."

...and where the D-cells never run out of juice...

George Leroy Tirebiter said...

My first and only exposure to Betty Dodson was the incredible 1971 Dusan Makavejev film W.R.: Mysteries Of The Organism. The Wilhelm Reich portions of movie made a big impact to my life at the time, as a struggling & confused nearly 19 year old.

Sue said...

Thanks for this wonderful post. Betty gave me a fabulous blurb for my novel. She was as generous as she was ground-breaking. I'm going to link to this now that we have learned that Betty died.