February 26, 2020

How the Democratic candidates responded to prompt what's "the biggest misconception about you."

There are different ways to interpret this invitation, so let's analyze and judge the candidates by the choices they made.

These are not in the order they appear in the transcript. I've grouped them in the way that fits my analysis.

First up: Biden and Bloomberg:
BIDEN: I have more hair than I think I do.

BLOOMBERG: Misconception, that I'm six feet tall.
Both of these men used the opportunity to point to a physical flaw that they've probably been sensitive about all their adult life. It's a well-known flaw. But it's not a misconception to believe that Biden has struggled with hair loss and Bloomberg is short. So they had to restate the flaw to make the answer fit.

One approach would have been to exaggerate the flaw so that it's wrong. That is, Biden could have said: The misconception is that I'm completely bald! And Bloomberg could have said: Some people say I'm only 4 foot 9! Now, nobody has that misconception, but I'd find it very funny.

Bloomberg exaggerates in the other direction, and nobody has that misconception, but he's imagining himself as a tall man, and in doing so, conceding that he is not. There's a kind of self-deprecation in that, even though it seems to be sneaking in a boast. But it's not a boast, because we absolutely know he's not 6 feet tall.
Biden restates the flaw in a very confusing way. To have the purported misconception, we need to first know how much hair he thinks he has. To say "I have more hair than I think I do" is a misconception is to say, I have only as much hair as I think I do (or even less hair than I think). That is, I'm not delusional about the amount of hair that I have. But if he were delusional about his amount of hair, then he'd be wrong to tell us that we're the ones with the misconception. It's so confusing! It's almost a Zen koan. How can you assert "I have more hair than I think I do"? If you're saying you have X amount of hair, then that's the amount of hair you think you have! How can you have more?! You can't, so, okay, that's why it's a misconception. [NOTE: I rewrote that last sentence, because I finally get it.]

Let's move on to the other men. Steyer, Sanders, and Buttigieg. They did not take the path of self-deprecating humor. They answered like the classic interviewee who says his greatest flaw is he works too hard. It was another opportunity to tout himself:
STEYER: The biggest misconception about me is that somehow I'm defined by business success and money.

SANDERS: Misconception? Misconception -- and you're hearing it here tonight, is that the ideas I'm talking about are radical. They're not....

BUTTIGIEG: Well, I think the biggest conception -- misconception is that I'm not passionate. I get that I'm kind of level, some say unflappable. I don't think you want a president who is flappable. But it's precisely because I'm so passionate about the things that are going on in this country. That I consider it important to approach all of that with discipline.
Okay, enough of that. I'm not unflappable. I'm going to flap very quickly over to the last set — the female candidates. We've seen that Biden and Bloomberg selected personal flaws and whipped them into self-deprecating humor. The 2 women also go for personal flaws:
WARREN: Well, I suppose one misconception is that I don't eat very much. In fact, I eat all the time. Because I get teased about this.

KLOBUCHAR: The biggest misconception is that I'm boring, because I'm not.
Warren, like Biden and Bloomberg, is talking about something physical about her. She looks quite thin. If she'd used the Bloomberg approach to turning that true fact into a "misconception," she could have said, "People think I'm obese!" I thought Bloomberg should have said, "Some people say I'm only 4 foot 9!" So, to use that format, she could have said, "Some people think I weigh less than 80 pounds."

But she left the topic of how thin she is alone and moved over to the adjacent topic of how much she eats. That suggests a misconception that she's anorexic or bulimic. I haven't heard that. But if she eats all the time and is that thin, that sounds bulimic. In any case, when a thin person insists she eats heartily, it's a boast. Not only am I thin, I eat all the time! That's not self-deprecation, and it's not humor. It's yes, I know, look at me, I'm thin, unlike you, and I don't even have to try to be thin. In fact, it would be hard for me to bulk up. Okay.

And now, to the most important one, Amy. The biggest misconception is that you're boring? But you are boring! Why couldn't she have owned it?! The question about the biggest misconception was paired with an invitation to state your motto, and her answer about the motto was so boring that the moderator forgot what it was and made her restate it.*

Oh, how I wish Klobuchar had said: The biggest misconception about me is that it's bad that I'm boring, and my motto is Government should be boring. And then shut up. But she couldn't. Because she is boring.

If she'd said her motto is "Government should be boring," everyone would be talking about that. What did she mean? Could it be true? It is true!

I love interestingness, but when it comes to government, I'd like it to quietly handle the business of government with competence and expertise. I'd like to go about my life and have you go about yours, without all the hysteria and the sense that we're supposed to monitor these wild characters constantly. Government is a terrible source of entertainment.

Now, Trump is massively entertaining, and I'm capable of enjoying his show, but I understand why he causes a lot of anxiety, and I don't think government should be such an anxiety production. That's why I have a tag "I'm for Boring."

I have thought many times, I'm just going to be for Amy Klobuchar, because she is boring, and maybe I could let her off the hook for not owning her boringness, because she's so boring, she doesn't even think of making such an interesting rhetorical move.

And maybe to a boring person, what she is is not boring, so she's not lying when she says she's not boring. She's just boring.
_______________________

* She said:
KLOBUCHAR: Then, I would say that my motto is the words of one of my political mentors, Paul Wellstone, who sadly is no longer with us. And he said that "politics is about improving people's lives." And that's been my life, from when my grandpa was an iron ore miner in the unions. Politics made those mines safer. And when my dad needed treatment, it was there for him, and, in his words, he was "pursued by grace." And when my mom got divorced and she didn't have a job and she went back to teaching and that gift of public service got her through. And then when our daughter was born and she couldn't swallow...

KING: Senator Klobuchar, what was your motto? I'm sorry. Senator Klobuchar, what was your motto?

KLOBUCHAR: Oh, I thought we had a minute to answer the question.

KING: No, what was your motto? I'm sorry.

KLOBUCHAR: My motto was that politics is about improving people's lives.

KING: Got it. Got it.

53 comments:

Yancey Ward said...

I think Biden elided "that" when describing the misconception. In other words, he meant to say the biggest misconception about him is "[that] I have more hair than I think I do," which seems funnier to me than it being a misconception he has about himself.

Does that make any sense?

Lucid-Ideas said...

Warren: "That I'm a white chick."

tim maguire said...

Nobody gets to say they're not boring. It's something we all hope others say about us, but we can't say it about ourselves.

Biden could be aware that he has more hair than he normally thinks of himself as having (we can have a misconception about ourselves that persists even though we know that it's not true). The problem with Biden's answer is that nobody is talking about his hair. It's not a misconception because nobody cares enough to have a conception.

Unlike Bloomberg's height. Or lack of it.

Yancey Ward said...

Here is the comment I wrote about this section of the debate in last night's debate thread:

The last answers were revealing, I thought. I would have gone in a more serious direction on both parts- the misconception and the motto. Only Sanders and Steyer really answered the question with gravitas. Sanders' answer was the very best one given the forum, the stakes, and the race going forward- he made it a point to argue against the fact that he is a radical. Now, I don't believe him, but the point is that I am not the audience he is speaking to.

Bay Area Guy said...

Other than the questions on Cuba, I thought this was the only good question of the night. It tamed the beasts, turned down the dial, and kept them from waiving their arms and interrupting each other. The self deprecating jokes fell flat, but A for effort.

gilbar said...

so,
Bloomberg self identifies as a non dwarf?
Plugs Biden self identifies as a full head of hair?
Bernie self identifies as a non Leninist, just a Trotskyite?
Amy Combuchar self identifies as a non frump?
and finally
Mayo Pete says he's Not White Bread?

got it

Todd said...

SANDERS: Misconception -- and you're hearing it here tonight, is that the ideas I'm talking about are radical.

They are "radical". Miscinception, that word does not mean what you think it means...

gilbar said...

oh, and
lizzy warren self identifies as non anorexic ?
Steyer self identifies as More than just a wallet?

Ann Althouse said...

"I think Biden elided "that" when describing the misconception. In other words, he meant to say the biggest misconception about him is "[that] I have more hair than I think I do," which seems funnier to me than it being a misconception he has about himself."

Yeah, leaving off the "that" adds surrealism. It had a Zen koan quality that made me feel like I needed to draw a diagram. I felt like there were double or triple negatives and wasn't sure where it all came out.

I'm still not sure if he meant to say that people think he has more hair than he does or that he has less hair than he does or if he only meant to talk about what people think HE thinks.

SDaly said...

I'd like it to quietly handle the business of government with competence and expertise. I'd like to go about my life and have you go about yours,

That feeling is incompatible with supporting a candidate who's stated motto is "politics is about improving people's lives." Because then, the business of government inexorably reaches its maw into the tiniest corner of private life to "improve it," whether you agree with the "improvements" or not.

AllenS said...

KLOBUCHAR: "I can actually eat a salad with a butter knife, or a 9 iron."

wbfjrr2 said...

Althouse, consider that the media, academics, Hollywood etc do not allow Trump to approach boring. I doubt he’d ever be boring, but with his competence, humor, and results, things would be different without the constant harassment and open war he fights through.

I find it interesting that talent and competence are not part of your decision criteria— witness you favoring Klobuchar, a distinctly mediocre
Intellect. That’s what most boring people are, in my experience. Mediocre.

Scott said...

I think that being boring would be Klobuchar's strongest asset. It's good not to be scary in this field. She would be a potent foil to Trump's outlandish personal. You couldn't attack her without looking like a schmuck.

DrSquid said...

No one is talking about Biden's hair. But that obvious god-awful facelift he's had! Yeesh! His facelift is the cosmetic surgery equivalent of $2 toupee.

Lucid-Ideas said...

Biden: "Everyone thinks I'll show up naked wearing a cowboy hat holding a chicken. This is completely false. I'll show up wearing a cowboy hat holding a chicken that's naked. Jokes on you."

Wince said...

BUTTIGIEG: I don't think you want a president who is flappable.

"Get out, you treacherous piss flap."

Piss flap: (rare, chiefly in the plural, vulgar, slang) A woman's labium.

Well, aversion to "flappability" -- that's one thing Buttigieg and Freddie Mercury share.

rhhardin said...

The biggest misconception about me is white privilege. It's actually luck.

Bob Boyd said...

I wonder what Trump would say to that question. Something funny, I'm sure.

stevew said...

Definitely a missed opportunity. I don't think I'm alone in appreciating and respecting someone that can make fun of themselves. That's maybe what Biden and Bloomberg were going for, but it didn't work, their answers seem like some sort of weird bragging to me.

Limited blogger said...

This was the climax to the CBS debate?

What a fucking dud.

Lucid-Ideas said...

His Honor, the Mayor of South Bend: "That I don't moisturize. I do I do. I feel so ashamed"

stevew said...

You need to know and acknowledge what it is about you that people misconceive in order to properly answer that question. Sanders, Klobuchar, and Buttigieg actually do a pretty effective job of that, as it relates them as candidates. Biden and Bloomberg sort of answer but focus on physical attributes - not related to them as candidates - and make a poor joke of it. Steyer misses but I think honestly so; we can be forgiven, can't we, for having formed that misconception about him from his ads? Warren is off in her own little world - what a weird answer.

Bob Boyd said...

The biggest already dispelled misconceptions:

Biden: The most electable

Bloomberg: That he brings more to the game than his money

Steyer: That he has something better to do than this

Sanders: That he doesn't stand a chance of becoming the nominee

Buttigieg: That there's a real Pete Buttigieg in there somewhere

Warren: That she has more than one empty suit

Klobuchar: That the old lump of coal will be a diamond someday.

Infinite Monkeys said...

Joke's on you when Biden shows up for the next debate, naked, with a chicken on his head, holding a cowboy hat.

Limited blogger said...

CBS hopes this disaster doesn't preclude them from getting a future Trump debate.

All networks and cable news channels will recoup their losses when the general election campaign starts, because of you know, Trump.

Narayanan said...

Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself.... The friction tends to arise when the two are not the same....There is no more hollow feeling than to stand with your honor shattered at your feet while soaring public reputation wraps you in rewards. That's soul destroying. The other way around is merely very, very irritating.
--Aral Vorkosigan

Is there a Dem candidate who can even figure out what Aral is talking about!?

Narayanan said...

I should add to list ...
Or the Moderators

Krumhorn said...

Any of them could have truthfully said "the biggest misconception is that any of us has a chance in hell of beating the Bad Orangeman. I'm just up here because I like being on the tv."

- Krumhorn

LA_Bob said...

"And now, to the most important one, Amy."

Completely agree. I couldn't believe she answered that way. Might as well be a little girl crying, "You say I'm funny looking. I'm not funny looking!"

Amy (Yawn) Klobuchar!

Yeah, it was amazing how personal the answers were except for Sanders's.

Michael said...

Amy should have said: "the biggest misconception about me is that under my placid exterior I'm a wild and crazy girl. Actually, I'm boring all the way down - and after 4 years of Donald Trump what's wrong with that? Placidly effective."

LA_Bob said...

Bob Boyd said, "I wonder what Trump would say to that question. Something funny, I'm sure."

"Uhhhh, I think it's that people think I'm too modest. No truth to that at all."

Yancey Ward said...

Bob Boyd wins the thread, and that ain't no misconception.

Nonapod said...

Questions about how a person percieves themselves, and how they imagine others percieve them, and if they believe those perceptions are inaccurate or not are of course the most intersting types of questions. We like to imagine what is going on in other people's heads, especially those whose opinions differ greatly than our own.

I often wonder how a person who is running for president views themselves. Mostly because I find the idea of running for public office on a national level so abhorrent that it seems like you'd pretty much have to be a little crazy to do so. Joe Rogan claims that "Greatness and madness are next door neighbours; and they borrow each other's sugar. You don't get one without the other." If true, it might explain why so many sucessful people seem a bit insane at times.

narciso said...

https://donsurber.blogspot.com/2020/02/nyt-panics-over-2020-race.html?fbclid=IwAR3JhandWRA8VLkNiFHQD31KNJo0Kzh8xAMHkBNF33qtyjBz5FcmsSOdc_4&m=1

Bruce Hayden said...

My answer to the question about misconceptions about me is that I am not funny. I find myself hilarious. My partner? Not so much. But I don’t think that I could come up with a slogan, if my life depended on it.

JML said...

I'm still not sure if he meant to say that people think he has more hair than he does or that he has less hair than he does or if he only meant to talk about what people think HE thinks.

I'm pretty sure Biden doesn't know either.

tcrosse said...

I'm pretty sure Biden doesn't know either.

That's his immaculate misconception.

Ralph L said...

I think Biden told us his biggest misconception about himself. And by hair, he meant brain plaque.

narciso said...


well then

https://justthenews.com/accountability/political-ethics/house-republicans-preparing-criminal-referrals-against-mueller

Inga said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Todd said...

Inga said...

Sanders is the most sincere and principled of all the candidates. Sanders is the only one who is saying he will reject Bloomberg money in the general election, all the others have stated they would accept the money. Sanders seems to understand that the money would have strings attached.

2/26/20, 1:51 PM


Jeffrey Dahmer was pretty sincere too, and yet I still won't want my fate in his hands.

If he gets his way, Sanders would destroy far more lives than Jeffrey was able to.

Kai Akker said...

"As a great American once said, I forget who, I cannot tell a lie. The biggest misconception about me is that I am capable of serving as President."

rcocean said...

And remember, my sentimental Senator, that a dullard is not judged by how interesting you think you are, but by how interesting you are to others.”

rcocean said...

Amy K reminded me of Fredo: I'm smart. Not like everyone says. I know things.

rcocean said...

The biggest misconception is that any of them are moderate. Look at their policies, they're 1 mm to the right of Bernie!

Rosalyn C. said...

If you see a photo taken of the top and back of Biden's head, you can see he really does have much less hair than you or he might think. Of course like most of us, he usually only sees himself in a mirror or in pictures of his face so one is not surprised that we all think he has more hair than he does.

Todd said...

Rosalyn C. said...

If you see a photo taken of the top and back of Biden's head, you can see he really does have much less hair than you or he might think. Of course like most of us, he usually only sees himself in a mirror or in pictures of his face so one is not surprised that we all think he has more hair than he does.

2/26/20, 3:12 PM


Oh, I thought he meant in places not normally visible, in which case you would need to ask his female secret service agents. As I recall, he prefers to swim in his birthday suit when they are around. One of the moderators should ask him about that. That and the hair sniffing. Oh, and the little girl grabbie stuff, that too. They won't but they should.

Jokah Macpherson said...

If they're going for Jesus quotes as mottos, "Feed my sheep," is not a bad one for an elected official. Show John a little love; not just Matthew.

Maillard Reactionary said...

Another stupid question. But at least it has a possible truthful answer for this crew: That I'm a patriotic citizen of the Republic.

That would be hard for them to say though, because the last word sounds so much like "Republican".

Maillard Reactionary said...

And Jesus wept.

Lazarus said...

Boring isn't inspirational. Yes, there's a lot of phony uplift from politicians that we could do with out. But Amy seems like she'd get mowed down by events.

I don't get the feeling her cabinet would get things done if she asked them to, or even that she'd really ask them to. By the time she tells them what she wants, they are already asleep.

Boring isn't necessarily placid and untroubled. Jimmy Carter was a boring guy. But events and circumstances wouldn't let him just put us all to sleep. He wasn't really up to the job and the result was anything but boring.

There's a lot of phoniness in the hopes politicians play on and rouse. People set themselves up for disappointment, and many of us have learned to be skeptical of such phoniness, but if all a politician has to offer is boredom, people won't be satisfied with that.

Quaestor said...

Althouse writes: Government is a terrible source of entertainment.

Government is like plumbing. If you find it interesting it often means you're up to your eyebrows in shit.

SensibleCitizen said...

Biden: It's a misconception that i have whatchacallit... dementia.