April 10, 2019

Beware the ominous green haboob and shun the frumious pollen.

"Ominous green cloud towers over town as storm stirs up rare pollen haboob" — Accuweather.

Have I written about "haboob" before? Meade sent me the link because he thought I might relate "haboob" to the recently blogged "hooha." Funny words, both.

I have, in fact, blogged "haboob" before — back in 2016 when a Texan took umbrage at the use of the word by the National Weather Service.
Haboob!?! I’m a Texan. Not a foreigner from Iraq or Afghanistan. They might have haboobs but around here in the Panhandle of TEXAS, we have Dust Storms. So would you mind stating it that way. I’ll find another weather service.
The OED traces the word in English back to 1897 and includes this example from 1959:
1959 R. E. Huschke Gloss. Meteorol. 268 Haboob (many variant spellings, including habbub, habub, haboub, hubbob, hubbub), a strong wind and sandstorm or duststorm in the northern and central Sudan, especially around Khartum, where the average number is about 24 a year.
Wait a minute! Hubbub? Is the familiar English word "hubbub" based on the Sudanese sandstorm? No. "Hubbub" may be an alternate spelling of "haboob," but the familiar word "hubbub" is much older, going back to the 16th century and — according to the OED — "often referred to as an Irish outcry, and probably representing some Irish expression. Compare Gaelic ub! ub! ubub! an interj. of aversion or contempt; abu! the war-cry of the ancient Irish."

Here's a long sentence — diagram this! — from Milton's "Paradise Lost" (boldface added):
So eagerly the fiend
Ore bog or steep, through strait, rough, dense or rare,
With head, hands, wings, or feet pursues his way,
And swims or sinks or wades, or creeps, or flyes:
At length a universal hubbub wilde
Of stunning sounds and voices all confus'd
Born through the hollow dark assaults his eare
With loudest vehemence: thither he plyes,
Undaunted to meet there whatever power
Or spirit of the nethermost Abyss
Might in that noise reside, of whom to ask
Which way the nearest coast of darkness lyes
Bordering on light; when strait behold the Throne
Of Chaos, and his dark pavilion spread
Wide on the wasteful deep; with him Enthron'd
Sat Sable-vested Night, eldest of things,
The Consort of his Reign; and by them stood
Orcus and Ades, and the dreaded name
Of Demogorgon; Rumor next and Chance,
And Tumult and Confusion all imbroil'd,
And Discord with a thousand various mouths.

23 comments:

Ann Althouse said...

"Hubbub" is also, according to the OED, "A name given by the New England colonists to a noisy game of the Indians. It was played with a platter and five small bones, with loud cries of hub, hub, hub."

1634 W. Wood New Englands Prospect ii. xiv. 85 Hubbub, not much unlike Cards and Dice, being no other than Lotterie.
1765 T. Hutchinson Hist. Colony Massachusets-Bay, 1628–91 (ed. 2) v. 470 Another game they called hubbub, the same the French called jeu de plat, the game of the dish among the Hurons.

tcrosse said...

A haboob is stirred up by a simoom.

Ann Althouse said...

Hubbub or jeu de plat was played with pieces of bone that were white on one side and black on the other. These were thrown in the air and landed on one side or the other, and bets were made on how they'd land. Like dice (which are also called "bones"), but there was a lot of yelling "hub hub hub" while the bones were in the air.

I found that in Hutchinson's "The History of the Colony (Province) of Massachusetts Bay."

tcrosse said...

Hubba hubba.

hawkeyedjb said...

We get our own versions of 'em here in Phoenix.

Nonapod said...

A great wall of pollen? Seems like a nightmare for allergy sufferers. Perhaps the humans of North Carolina have angered the Parliament of Trees.

Big Mike said...

A haboob in the Iranian desert took down the Carter administration. He dithered, hoping for a diplomatic solution, until the risks of a sandstorm went from acceptably low to pretty high.

traditionalguy said...

This pollen cloud is the only problem 400ppm+ CO2 causes. The plants are going wild procreating and growing food for man and animal.

Hunter said...

Let's take a closer look at those haboobs.

CarolynnS said...

I love it when you challenge readers to diagram a sentence! The one you post from Paradise Lost is a doosy!

Birches said...

I grew up in AZ and we always called them dust storms until all the weather people decided one day to call them haboobs. I refuse to join the party.

Howard said...

Texan's, like Trump's deplorables, are extremely insecure.

tcrosse said...

Howard is moving to Massachusetts (he says). He'll fit right in.

Christy said...

Another reason to keep my car shined up. This season of pollen and rain has formed yellow rivers on the green paint.

The Yellow River is called so from the fine sediment picked up after leaving Mongolia. The excessive silting contributed to flooding which lead to such strong levees that once the river broke through it couldn't find its way back and so changed course by hundreds of miles. See where tangents from the bio of one Tang Dynasty poet can lead one? A poet who wrote famously of The River Merchant's Wife.

stever said...

There is a difference between a haboob and a West Texas dust storm. An actual experience with both makes that clear.

Maillard Reactionary said...

I believe it was Johnson who said of "Paradise Lost", "No man wished it longer."

I will trust the good Doctor on this, and not risk finding out for myself.

Bilwick said...

I love a pair of good haboobs. But seriously . . .

"I believe it was Johnson who said of "Paradise Lost", "No man wished it longer."

"I will trust the good Doctor on this, and not risk finding out for myself."

I actually pushed on through with "PL," and I certainly wouldn't have wished it longer; but it has its points of interests, especially the parts with Satan. I've often thought this might be a good topic of discussion for this blog, maybe in one of the "cafés:" Great Books You Found Boring. I'm having trouble getting through Boswell's Life of Johnson, which is supposed to be one of the most beloved books of all time. My unabridged paperback edition weighs in at about 1100 pages and I'm having trouble getting past page 100. Did we really need to read every letter Johnson wrote to everyone?

Maillard Reactionary said...

Bilwick: I'm with you. Boswell sits on my shelf, unread, in silent rebuke, its very, very thin pages slowly yellowing with time between its depressingly well-separated covers.

I think my favorite Great Book I Found Boring was Ulysses by James Joyce. While many parts are full of interest, humor, and pathos, I've never been able to make it through the "Nighttown" section without giving up in despair. I consider it unethical to skip over it to get to Molly's soliloquy.

But there's enough good stuff in there that I can't say I hated it.

I suffer agenbite of inwit over this, sometimes.

Now, Moby Dick, that's a different story altogether.

Bilwick said...

It took me about a year of picking it up, reading a chapter or two, then setting it aside for a while, but I got through MOBY DICK. Actually, when I started it I got through the early chapters pretty quickly, and was enjoying it; but all those technical chapters on whaling slowed me down. Eventually I just found myself concentrating on the prose, and not the content, until the closing chapters, when the pace picked up and I got re-enthused.

Kay said...

Really want to give “Paradise Lost” a readthrough at some point. The “Fall of Man” story keeps coming up a lot in other stuff I’m reading. It’s one of the most powerful myths of all time.

Ann Althouse said...

If a book is hard to get through, switch to a audiobook... and take long walks or drives. You will flow with it.

rcocean said...

I thought they were called "sand storms"?

rcocean said...

And Yep. We had a Texas/Oklahoma "dust bowl" not a "Haboob bowl"