August 3, 2018

Whatever happened to The Utne Reader?

I was wondering, because it came up in conversation here this morning with Meade. Both of us used to read that magazines years ago. What was it — the 80s? Anyway, it's still around, and of course, it's also a website. I checked it out. I was amused by what it picked out for me (because I easily go off into the fantasy of contemplating is this really me?):



Is there some book I've spent years looking for? Am I dithering over varieties of fish? Am I ready to become suspicious of soy sauce? No. No. No. But they're right to prompt me with "Ten Things to Do When You’re Feeling Hopeless," not because I'm feeling hopeless, but because it's a list of 10 things, which makes me feel hopeful — hopeful that I can easily upload 10 tips and ward off hopelessness. I note that the article is from 2011, but that's great because it means there's no chance it will be padded with anything about Trump. Tip #1:
Give up hope. That’s right, get off the hope/despair roller coaster and realize once and for all: It’s hopeless! You should have known when a U.S. presidential candidate won an election on a platform of mere hope that it was time to give it up. Embrace hopelessness! It’s OK! It makes sense. But we can, should, and must still be intentional, responsible, and joyful.
Ha ha. Confident that Trump would not appear, I stumbled into Obama. Hey, this is a good article. I recommend it. I also like these other suggestions that appeared in the sidebar next to the hopelessness article. I would click on all of this stuff:



Forest bathing is an old favorite topic of mine — see here and here. The new Utne Reader article is "Your Guide to Forest Bathing/Learn to take a step away from stress and towards the presence of nature, using mindfulness and meditation to feel peace while surrounded by the wild earth":
The sequence described [of 8 steps in the Optimal Flow] has proven over hundreds of walks to reliably create a strong sensory connection with the forests. It brings us home, opening our internal gates and inviting the forest to come meet our minds and hearts and spirits... The repeated use of these invitations will, over time, deepen your understanding and your capacity to fully “drop in.” Dropping in is a term I’ve often heard forest bathers use. Its origin is in surfing, a practice that’s related in many ways to forest bathing. Surfers wait watchfully for a wave; when one comes, they must paddle to catch it. At a certain point, the paddling gives way to the wave’s own energy carrying the board forward. The surfer stands and “drops in” to the wave and the flow of the moment. When your forest bathing practice begins to ripen, like a skillful surfer you will learn how to drop in, allowing the forest and your own embodied awareness to flow together....
Yes, dropping in. Works for web-surfing too. We're web-bathing here. Feel the flow!

28 comments:

Henry said...

Interesting. The new Utne Reader is Medium. I've been letting Medium's Daily Digest filter into my mailbox. Here's today's promoted stories:

It's Official - Trigger Warnings Might Actually Be Harmful
New study confirms the fears of Lukianoff and Haidt

Why you shouldn’t share your goals
The race to get the world’s first plane in the sky was a hard fought battle between The Wright Brothers and a…

Academia Is the Alternative Career Path
Why pretend otherwise?

Why every startup should adopt Amazon's 14 Leadership Principles, with examples
Amazon's 14 Principles explained with real life, personal examples

I also get a personalized list based on my reading history. Lots of technology BS. And things like:

Between Me and My Brain
I like my brain. But my brain is also an asshole.

Fernandinande said...

Both of us used to read that magazines years ago.

#metoo!

Give up hope.

Determinism Man

Some good owl pr0n

traditionalguy said...

Hiking the Smokies during the spring flower season or in the leaf fall season, is the Scots Irish heaven on earth. Cades Cove is our southern heritage,not the British owned Tidewater plantations with their stolen and enslaved African humans.

Ryan said...

"Dropping in" to surfers means stealing someone else's wave. I think they mean catching the wave.

LincolnTf said...

Trad guy, I spent last weekend in the Smokies. Had a reunion with a bunch of Army buddies, stayed in Sevierville. Beautiful place.

Ralph L said...

Commune with Nature: sit on a pine cone.

Etienne said...

So we drove to Northeastern New Mexico to be one with the forest. Police were manning roadblocks, the smell of burning forests choked our senses.

We finally found a road west, but came upon some Forest Service people who said to be cautious of rain, as the trees are all gone, and flash flooding is now the thing that is killing people.

So anyway, we drove south to the Mescalero Reservation, and joined a sweathouse for $20 to enjoy being naked with a bunch of Indians, and together we got whipped by birch branches. God it was great. I think I lost five pounds. My wife's figure seems better defined.

Then over to Roswell and we saw a secret base where they keep Aliens from other planets prisoner. That was great too, as we think illegal aliens should be in prisons. Even their kids.

Amexpat said...

I remember The Utne Reader, way back when when carob bars and the Whole Earth Catalog were the thing.

Eric Utne, it's founder, made news here a few years back with a book about Brenda Ueland and her love affair with Fridtjof Nansen late in his life. Nansen, arguably the greatest Norwegian ever, took nude photos of himself and sent them to the much younger Brenda to show he still had it. Utne published those photos and caused quite a stir.

David Begley said...

Althouse and Meade grew up, er, matured. Utne stayed the same.

I used to love Harper's magazine and then I grew up.

Fernandinande said...

#forestbathing/shinrin-yoku, Engrish.com has some Wise Oriental Aphorisms featuring danger, safety and fences:

"Do not jump over fence for danger."

"Because there is danger that it is involved in a dolphin, please do not grow a hand in a fence."

"For your safety, please observe the rule of going up and down."

and last but not least

"Always thank the spirit of toilets." (tao-lets, ha ha)

tcrosse said...

Utne Reader was the journal of the earnest Minneapolis Lumpenintelligentsia of the day, an even more secular version of Unitarianism. Study groups would gather to discuss each issue.

Mike Sylwester said...

A couple weeks ago the Medium (i.e. Utne) website published a superb article titled "Mueller’s New Indictment  —  Do the Feds Take Us for Idiots?"

https://medium.com/@markfmccarty/muellers-new-indictment-do-the-feds-take-us-for-idiots-5406ef955406

MadisonMan said...

Utne's picks for you are the same as the picks for me. No one is special.

Lyle Sanford, RMT said...

will live forever in crosswords

Ann Althouse said...

"will live forever in crosswords"

Right alongside Erle Stanley Garner and Yma Sumac.

Ann Althouse said...

I'm not reading the story about the dark side of soy. I'm just coming up with my own ideas. I think it's turning men into "women" because it contains estrogen.

tim maguire said...

Turns out "forest bathing" doesn't involve actual bathing. They never say that, though. Apparently you're supposed to already know what it is. In which case, you don't need that article.

Molly said...

(eaglebeak)

"will live forever in crosswords"

And, moving to things inanimate, the ever-popular adit

SeanF said...

Ann Althouse: "will live forever in crosswords"

Right alongside Erle Stanley Garner and Yma Sumac.


"Garner". I actually laughed out loud.

Sydney said...

I also got the same "Picks for You." Maybe they don't use cookies.

Ignorance is Bliss said...

When your forest bathing practice begins to ripen...

...it is time for more traditional bathing.

Big Mike said...

Women who bathe in forests come out to find troop of grinning Boy Scouts sitting on their clothes.

Truth.

buwaya said...

I think the Sandalistas moved on.

RigelDog said...

The dark side of soy! I'm laughing as I picture the classic Far Side cartoon where an unsuspecting pedestrian is about to pass an alleyway not knowing that a dangerous golem of Soy-Gone-Bad lies in wait.

Nancy said...

Spoiler alert: It's actually in today's WSJ crossword puzzle!

MadTownGuy said...

"As the world winds down to a final prayer,
Nothing soothes quicker than complete despair;
I predict by dinner I won't even care -
'Cause since I gave up hope I feel a lot better."

(Steve Taylor)

Marc in Eugene said...

I should've read the other two Althouse posts-- skimmed to the end of the UR article, puzzled because the author never mentioned when during the event the bathing takes place. Then the light went on.

Ingachuck'stoothlessARM said...

"Wrokers Of The World, Unte!"